1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 00:14
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    We never argue with gods.

We argue with theists telling us about gods.

Can you not see the difference?
    Yes, I can, but is not denial an argument?
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 00:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes, I can, but is not denial an argument?
    No.

Also, I don't deny gods. I don't believe they exist.

It's not the same thing.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 01:31
    No.

Also, I don't deny gods. I don't believe they exist.

It's not the same thing.
    But you do deny gods because you don't believe they exist.

Action and the reason for that action are not the same thing.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 01:38
    But you do deny gods because you don't believe they exist.

Action and the reason for that action are not the same thing.
    I don't think you mean the same thing as me when you say 'deny'.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 10:141 edit
    I don't think you mean the same thing as me when you say 'deny'.
    de·ny [dih-nahy]
    verb (used with object), de·nied, de·ny·ing.
    1. to state that (something declared or believed to be true) is not true: to deny an accusation.
    2. to refuse to agree or accede to: to deny a petition.
    3. to withhold the possession, use, or enjoyment of: to deny access to secret information.
    4. to withhold something from, or refuse to grant a request of: to deny a beggar.
    5. to refuse to recognize or acknowledge; disown; disavow; repudiate: to deny one's gods.
    6. to withhold (someone) from accessibility to a visitor: The secretary denied his employer to all those without appointments.
    7. Obsolete . to refuse to take or accept.

So which of these do you mean? And which of these do you think I mean?

I mean all of these (except perhaps 6 and 7, and perhaps 3 and 4 not so much as 1, 2 and 5).

😠 Okay, perhaps I don't mean ALL of these. Mainly 1, 2 and 5.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Dec '13 10:46
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You're missing my point.

You attempted to paint God as antiquated, archaic on the basis of the civil laws found in the first five books of the Bible--- without a single consideration of who those first five books were written for!

If I told a person in 1980 that I would give them a gigabyte for their house, I'd essentially told them their house was w ...[text shortened]... ward thirty years, now that house is worth... $0.07.
    Which deal are they more inclined to take?
    That's all well and good but it still is as clear as a bell the attributes given to a god are attributes of mankind, jealousy and so forth, not something a real god would possess.

It is pointing clearly to a point in time where none of these religions existed and then due to the story telling of a single man, it grew up into what we know today. All made up by men who had a need to control unruly people back thousands of years ago.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 02:441 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    We being the human race. So when statements arise like 'Oh so you think you know the mind of GOD'? and so forth, YES WE DO because we made up everything about it. We made it jealous, spiteful, why, just like a god should be. According to the theists here anyway.

The truth is, a god, a REAL god would be so far above us from its perspective humans would be ...[text shortened]... man made.

That just shows the power of the programming inherent in the Abrahamic religions.
    Perhaps god doesn't think men and women are equal. Perhaps in slavery in those days one person's worth is more than another. Perhaps even today one person is better at a job than another and demands a higher fee.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 03:142 edits

That's all well and good but it still is as clear as a bell the attributes given to a god are attributes of mankind, jealousy and so forth, not something a real god would possess.

It is pointing clearly to a point in time where none of these religions existed and then due to the story telling of a single man, it grew up into what we know today. All made up by men who had a need to control unruly people back thousands of years ago.
    "That's all well and good but it still is as clear as a bell the attributes given to a god are attributes of mankind, jealousy and so forth, not something a real god would possess." -sonhouse

As deity, Jesus Christ possesses all the divine attributes: sovereignty, righteousness, justice, love, eternal life, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, immutability and veracity. Jesus Christ is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe. John 1:3 NASB "All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being." and Colossians 1:16-17 "For by [in] Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before [or has existed prior to] all things, and in Him all things hold together [or endure]." Jesus Christ declares His eternal existence and equality with God the Father: John 10:30 "I and the Father are one." (Identical Attributes in Three Persons of the Trinity)

At the same time He is eternal God, Jesus Christ in His incarnation became true humanity. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ... "And the Word became flesh, and [tabernacled, lived temporarily] dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten [or unique, one of a kind] from the Father, full of grace and truth." John 1:14

Scriptural Reference to God the Father as being a jealous God communicates His omniscient and omnipotent protective care of Israel in the Old Testament and of His Royal Family of all who believe in the Risen Christ in the New Testament (Church Age Dispensation). In human terms, loving fathers jealously protect their families from danger and harm. Of God's Divine Attributes, His Righteousness and Justice (His Divine Integrity) and His Immutability (He never changes) I stand in awe.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 05:52

If you just came right out and said "I don't believe it, so clearly it's man-made." I'd still disagree, but at least it would have the appearance of honesty, instead of ignorance.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Dec '13 07:02

There is good jealousy and bad jealousy. You obviously can only think of evil jealousy because your mind in corrupt and evil. God is good and so is His jealousy.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 01:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is good jealousy and bad jealousy. You obviously can only think of evil jealousy because your mind in corrupt and evil. God is good and so is His jealousy.
    I know my mind is evil, and I am happy with that. At least I am intellectually free, as opposed to you who live in an extremely constricted universe.

Good jealousy, nice oxymoron. You figure its ok for a GOD who rules an entire universe and untold numbers of other life forms on untold number of planets on untold number of galaxies, this god can be JEALOUS of humans? Get a life.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 03:01
    I know my mind is evil, and I am happy with that. At least I am intellectually free, as opposed to you who live in an extremely constricted universe.

Good jealousy, nice oxymoron. You figure its ok for a GOD who rules an entire universe and untold numbers of other life forms on untold number of planets on untold number of galaxies, this god can be JEALOUS of humans? Get a life.
    God is our creator and maker and has a right to be jealous of His own property in my opinion. He is not willing to lose any of us to Satan, who is a deceiver and thief.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 11:16
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    God is our creator and maker and has a right to be jealous of His own property in my opinion. He is not willing to lose any of us to Satan, who is a deceiver and thief.
    There you go again, putting words in your gods mouth. You can't even begin to understand the gap between a real god and humans.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 14:58
    There you go again, putting words in your gods mouth. You can't even begin to understand the gap between a real god and humans.
    There should be no gap between God and humans. The gap exists because of Adam's sin. Christ came to take on himself this sin and bridge the gap between God and man.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 15:29
    There should be no gap between God and humans. The gap exists because of Adam's sin. Christ came to take on himself this sin and bridge the gap between God and man.
    That is just Abrahamic dogma speaking and has nothing to do with reality.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree