1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 15:30
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What do you mean when you say people call themselves atheists and [b]YET love their fellow man...

The YET implies that atheists loving people is unusual and/or unexpected.[/b]
    Yeah, really. So now religion is a REQUIREMENT to love your fellow man? Non-believers cannot love. I did not know that.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:33
    No. Truth is in reality.

The heart is just a pump for moving blood around.

Atheist, Christian, Jewish, etc are not titles they are labels for people with different beliefs.

Those beliefs can be true or false.

And that is determined by whether those beliefs match up with reality or not.
    And not by how people feel about those beliefs.
    I am sure he was NOT referring to "heart" in the biological anatomy meaning of the word. Dictionaries gives several other meanings:

2. the central or innermost part of something.

"right in the heart of the city"

synonyms:

center, middle, hub, core, nucleus, eye, bosom

3. a. The vital center and source of one's being, emotions, and sensibilities.

b. The repository of one's deepest and sincerest feelings and beliefs: an appeal from the heart; a subject dear to her heart.

c. The seat of the intellect or imagination: the worst atrocities the human heart could devise.

4. a. Emotional constitution, basic disposition, or character: a man after my own heart.

b. One's prevailing mood or current inclination: We were light of heart.

5. a. Capacity for sympathy or generosity; compassion: a leader who seems to have no heart.

b. Love; affection: The child won my heart.

6. a. Courage; resolution; fortitude: The soldiers lost heart and retreated.

b. The firmness of will or the callousness required to carry out an unpleasant task or responsibility: hadn't the heart to send them away without food.

7. A person esteemed or admired as lovable, loyal, or courageous: a dear heart.

8. a. The central or innermost physical part of a place or region: the heart of the financial district. See Synonyms at center.

b. The core of a plant, fruit, or vegetable: hearts of palm.

9. The most important or essential part: get to the heart of the matter.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heart
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:39
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I am sure he was NOT referring to "heart" in the biological anatomy meaning of the word. Dictionaries gives several other meanings:

2. the central or innermost part of something.

"right in the heart of the city"

synonyms:

center, middle, hub, core, nucleus, eye, bosom

3. a. The vital center and source of one's being, emotions, and sensib ...[text shortened]... ant or essential part: get to the heart of the matter.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heart
    Shows the importance of being precise in your posts.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Shows the importance of being precise in your posts.
    Most people have enough common sense to figure it out on their own.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 21:53
    Most people have enough common sense to figure it out on their own.
    I am, and was, sure he was talking figuratively about truth being in people's hearts.

And I very deliberately made the point that no truth is not in peoples hearts.

It's Reveal Hidden Content
    [truth]
    in reality.

The idea of peoples emotions residing in the heart dates back to an old and superstitious
    and ignorant era... Which is where it seems most of his ideas come from.
    And I was intentionally rejecting that view point... Because while it might be seductively
    poetical, it has no place in a conversation about truth [about the nature of reality].

I don't need you to follow GB's lead in posting the entire contents of the dictionary.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 22:08
    I am, and was, sure he was talking figuratively about truth being in people's hearts.

And I very deliberately made the point that no truth is not in peoples hearts.

It's [hidden] [truth] [/hidden] in reality.

The idea of peoples emotions residing in the heart dates back to an old and superstitious
    and ignorant era... Which is where it seems mo ...[text shortened]... ty].

I don't need you to follow GB's lead in posting the entire contents of the dictionary.
    It was for the benefit of the unlearned.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 22:17
    It was for the benefit of the unlearned.
    ... unlearned...

Too many jokes...
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 22:32
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "That's all well and good but it still is as clear as a bell the attributes given to a god are attributes of mankind, jealousy and so forth, not something a real god would possess." -sonhouse

[i]As deity, Jesus Christ possesses all the divine attributes: sovereignty, righteousness, justice, love, eternal life, omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence, ...[text shortened]... sness and Justice (His Divine Integrity) and His Immutability (He never changes) I stand in awe.
    Actually, you stand in awe of words written down by men that convinces you and a few billion other similarly duped individuals that such a god exists. Here is my challenge to you: Call down this god and have it speak to ME.
  9. Joined
    16 May '13
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 21:40
    Christians never claim to have made up the god of the bible nor has anyone inside the bible said so,you and your atheist friends are the ones who make these claims.Pagan gods and others where made by man not the biblical god.God(biblical god Jehovah) contradicts all human thoughts their for Jehovah was not made by humans.No sex before marriage,no eating pork,fish without scales,land animals that do not eat grass or have a cloven hove.Treat others as you would like to be treated,love your enemy's and those that curse you,If someone strikes you on one check turn the other check and let them strike you again,if you even lust for a woman in your hart you have committed adultery with her even though you have never touched her,The first shall be last and the last shall be first,the poor must sit on the rich persons seat and if he is invited to a party and the rich man must make way for him.It is easy for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter heaven,If you break one commandment you are guilty off breaking all,Keep the Sabbath day holy (no hard work on Saturday your time must be given to god as a memorial for creation) as you can see no human would naturally follow these or even make such commandments up.Most Christians don't follow the teachings off Christ,Had Humans made up God,God would have been suited to the nature off man. I'm a seventh day adventist which is not a catholic or protestant its the fastest growing Christian organization which was made as a safe haven for Christians to follow exactly what the bible says and to follow every teaching of Jesus to the letter.
  10. Joined
    16 May '13
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 21:43
    The bible says God made man in his image and likeliness.You have got it wrong you say that god has attributes of man but the bible says man has attributes of god.If your going to criticize the bibles god you must use the bible to criticize him.
  11. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 23:46
    No. Truth is in reality.

The heart is just a pump for moving blood around.

Atheist, Christian, Jewish, etc are not titles they are labels for people with different beliefs.

Those beliefs can be true or false.

And that is determined by whether those beliefs match up with reality or not.
    And not by how people feel about those beliefs.
    A person who is an atheist, is witness to a building fire. Crowd of people stand and watch. Others in the building, screaming for help. The atheist, runs in and saves a life.

This action counts, big time. An act of selflessness. The greatest gift anyone can give to an other.

Of you christains that stand around and watch the buildings burn and lives at risk, and do nothing. You have taken your gifts and buried them in the sand. Heaven will be closed to you.

I care not for your titles, they have no meaning before God.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    01 Jan '14 23:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Actually, you stand in awe of words written down by men that convinces you and a few billion other similarly duped individuals that such a god exists. Here is my challenge to you: Call down this god and have it speak to ME.
    Our God, yours and mine (He is the same) speaks to everyone, everyday. The problem most people have is they do not know how to hear Him.

Have you ever had the experience, out of the blue, a thought pops into your mind. To call a friend or aquaintence. You do so, and this person states, I'm was just thinking of you.

What of the package you need to mail and you are late, it just so happens ups is open late.

I know all trivial possibilities.

But He will speak to your heart too, if you really want to hear Him. A still quiet voice in your heart.
  13. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '14 00:00
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Our God, yours and mine (He is the same) speaks to everyone, everyday. The problem most people have is they do not know how to hear Him.

Have you ever had the experience, out of the blue, a thought pops into your mind. To call a friend or aquaintence. You do so, and this person states, I'm was just thinking of you.

What of the package you need to ma ...[text shortened]... will speak to your heart too, if you really want to hear Him. A still quiet voice in your heart.
    Prove it.
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    02 Jan '14 00:12
    Prove it.
    I don't need to. It is you that wants the proof for yourself. Ask Him for your proof.

The very fact that you are arguing here, in this Spirituality Forum, tells me you are seeking answers. But you keep asking people like me, you need to ask God. 'If you are real God, prove it to me?'
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Jan '14 00:17
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    I don't need to. It is you that wants the proof for yourself. Ask Him for your proof.

The very fact that you are arguing here, in this Spirituality Forum, tells me you are seeking answers. But you keep asking people like me, you need to ask God. 'If you are real God, prove it to me?'
    God isn't around to ask.

And yes you DO need to* because it is YOU that is making a factual claim.

You make a factual claim. I ask you to prove it.

If you can't prove it then you need to stop making the factual claim.

*prove it

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree