1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 20:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That is just Abrahamic dogma speaking and has nothing to do with reality.
    Abrahamic dogma has everything to do with reality.

As I said, just admit the only reason you think God is man-made is so that you can feel better not believing in him. Just drop all the "I never said I don't believe in gods" crapola. It's not about labels, it's about coming clean with who you are. And honesty improves the digestion. 🙂
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 22:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Abrahamic dogma has everything to do with reality.

As I said, just admit the only reason you think God is man-made is so that you can feel better not believing in him. Just drop all the "I never said I don't believe in gods" crapola. It's not about labels, it's about coming clean with who you are. And honesty improves the digestion. 🙂
    Actually I rather suspect that he, like me, genuinely believe that god is man made.

It's a rather mainstream atheist opinion.

Also we generally feel pretty good about not being encumbered with religious beliefs.

I might ask you why it is you can't take OUR word for it when we tell you what
    WE think and feel?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Dec '13 22:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There is good jealousy and bad jealousy.
    This wisdom needs to be shared.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 00:322 edits
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Actually I rather suspect that he, like me, genuinely believe that god is man made.

It's a rather mainstream atheist opinion.

Also we generally feel pretty good about not being encumbered with religious beliefs.

I might ask you why it is you can't take OUR word for it when we tell you what
    WE think and feel?
    Because he has said numerous times he's not an atheist.

So not only do I not buy into it, apparently you don't either.

I believe he's really an atheist, but for whatever reason, he keeps denying it.

You believe he's really an atheist too, so who's not taking who's "word for what he thinks and feels"?

Yay, reading comprehension. 😕
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 01:07

You believe he's really an atheist too, so who's not taking who's "word for what he thinks and feels"?

Actually no, I believe he is whatever he says he is.
    I take pretty much everyone on this site at their word on that front.

However it is not a requirement to be an atheist to think the god you believe in
    is man made. Because that's what the evidence points to.

That is not incompatible with believing in a different god or gods.

And while it was, I fully admit, not clear.

When I said "Also we generally feel pretty good..." the 'we' meant atheists in general,
    not me and sonhouse.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    11 Dec '13 12:321 edit

Not atheist in the strictest sense because I feel humans can't know whether there are gods or not or a god or not but I can say with personal confidence the Abrahamic god is man made because there are too may human attributes assigned to it by humans, a strange coincidence. You can't or won't get that part. I am atheistic as far as Judaism, Islam and Christianity goes.

It's too bad you can't recognize humans slipped in human attributes to their god and I think with the specific idea that people, being gullible, could accept a god that says 'I am a jealous god' and so forth.

They could be saying 'this kind of god I can identify with'.

That is what it's all about, being able to identify with some super-being.

It would help a LOT if said super-being would deign to show up and explain things itself instead of a bunch of bleating humans making up stories about what they THINK a god would be like.

Since no god has come down and explained things, people are free to make up whatever BS tales they want and the really stupid thing is, people believe them.

Like they used to say about communists, tell a lie, make it big enough, and people will believe.
  7. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 00:35
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    What is the point of arguing with a god that already
    knows all your arguments, knows what you are going
    to say, knows what he will do and ... need I go on?
    Point well taken. But i look at Abraham and others in scripture who stood before God.

My experience with God, He doesn't want robots. He wants people willing to step out of the boat. To not be afraid of even challenging Him.
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 00:36
    I want some of what you're having, mon.
    I have a relationship with God
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 01:01
    There you go again, putting words in your gods mouth. You can't even begin to understand the gap between a real god and humans.
    I know there is a huge gap between my knowledge of God and the real God. However, I believe I have a better understanding than you do.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Dec '13 17:37

The only reason I say I am not atheistic is because it is a huge universe and mankind has only scratched the tiniest surface of it. I can with personal certainty deny the existence of the Abrahamic god, there is just too many human attributes just accidentally attached to that god to be real.

I have said it before a thousand times, I can't imagine a real god with human attributes like jealousy. You can't seem to understand what the difference between a real god and this put up job of those three religions and others related to the big three.

It denigrates what a real god would be to try to manufacture one with human attributes.

That is why I say this god is made in man's image.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 03:46
    The only reason I say I am not atheistic is because it is a huge universe and mankind has only scratched the tiniest surface of it. I can with personal certainty deny the existence of the Abrahamic god, there is just too many human attributes just accidentally attached to that god to be real.

I have said it before a thousand times, I can't imagine a real ...[text shortened]... to manufacture one with human attributes.

I don't understand how you expect man to relate the characteristics of God in language without comparing them to some characteristics that we know something about. Do you have any suggestions?
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 14:03

I have said it before a thousand times, I can't imagine a real ...[text shortened]... to manufacture one with human attributes.

Atheism, Christian, Jewish, etc etc all just titles. The truth is in the heart.

There is more to sonhouse than meets the eye.
  13. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 14:091 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I know there is a huge gap between my knowledge of God and the real God. However, I believe I have a better understanding than you do.
    How about a different understanding.

A man who is Jewish, does not think as a Christian. Yet he can love God just as much. Or a man/woman who calls themselves atheists, yet loves their fellow man. Goes out of there way in quiet personal charity. I tell you Christ lives in them. And they don't know it.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 14:42
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Atheism, Christian, Jewish, etc etc all just titles. The truth is in the heart.

There is more to sonhouse than meets the eye.
    No. Truth is in reality.

The heart is just a pump for moving blood around.

Atheist, Christian, Jewish, etc are not titles they are labels for people with different beliefs.

Those beliefs can be true or false.

And that is determined by whether those beliefs match up with reality or not.
    And not by how people feel about those beliefs.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 14:43
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    How about a different understanding.

A man who is Jewish, does not think as a Christian. Yet he can love God just as much. Or a man/woman who calls themselves atheists, yet loves their fellow man. Goes out of there way in quiet personal charity. I tell you Christ lives in them. And they don't know it.
    What do you mean when you say people call themselves atheists and YET love their fellow man...

The YET implies that atheists loving people is unusual and/or unexpected.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree