1. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 22:48
    I felt this is worthy of a post. He articulates a sentiment I've tried to express in this forum before.

Life is a gift to all of us. And yet, when one is an atheist, they are sometimes bothered by perhaps well meaning but nevertheless annoying theists, who accuse them of not caring about the life of anyone or anything. It's an odd reaction, because for the atheist, this life is it. In our view, we humans get a few decades on average, a tiny arc of consciousness across the infinite ocean of space-time, a blink of the cosmic eye, in which the universe can be uniquely aware of itself through each of us. And accepting that there is likely nothing afterward, nothing but the comforting non-existence that preceded conception, makes this time far more precious to the atheist, than many theists seem willing to contemplate.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/15/23544/992
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 23:03
    Originally posted by David C
    I felt this is worthy of a post. He articulates a sentiment I've tried to express in this forum before.

Life is a gift to all of us. And yet, when one is an atheist, they are sometimes bothered by perhaps well meaning but nevertheless annoying theists, who accuse them of not caring about the life of anyone or anything. It's an odd reaction, beca ...[text shortened]... lling to contemplate.

[b]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/15/23544/992
    [/b]
    Worth a rec!
    I wonder if life after death scenarios as in theism and reincarnation are really a lack of humilty, believing oneself too important to die....
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    25 Apr '06 23:14
    Originally posted by Mister Meaner
    Worth a rec!
    I wonder if life after death scenarios as in theism and reincarnation are really a lack of humilty, believing oneself too important to die....
    I think it's more a sense of fear, and of 'this can't be all' pleading ...
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:17
    Originally posted by amannion
    I think it's more a sense of fear, and of 'this can't be all' pleading ...
    I'm not sure which fate I find more(or less) comforting:

1) Vanishing from existence and memory

or

2) Living eternally
  5. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:32
    It's not just the desire for existence. The desire for some eternal justice factors into it since life is unfair.
  6. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:421 edit

Life is a gift to all of us. And yet, when one is an atheist, they are sometimes bothered by perhaps well meaning but nevertheless annoying theists, who accuse them of not caring about the life of anyone or anything. It's an odd reaction, beca ...[text shortened]... lling to contemplate.

[/b]
    Well, that's fine and dandy if everyone thought altruistically. Take a look around pal. Nature has programmed us with lots of evil "ME" genes geared for survival. Even the founders of america, atheists at heart, had to declare that men were created equal with inalienable rights to justify their rebellion.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:53
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    It's not just the desire for existence. The desire for some eternal justice factors into it since life is unfair.
    Why is life unfair?
    It just is. Life is life. Any notion of fairness or otherwise must surely be a anthropomorphic filter that we impose on it.
  8. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 00:55
    Well, that's fine and dandy if everyone thought altruistically. Take a look around pal. Nature has programmed us with lots of evil "ME" genes geared for survival. Even the founders of america, atheists at heart, had to declare that men were created equal with inalienable rights to justify their rebellion.
    Just the other day I listened to a speech given by Richard Dawkins commemorating 30 years since the release of 'The Selfish Gene'. He suggested that the title was probably a mistake and had created much controversy where none was needed. He suggested an alternative title - 'The Altruistic Gene' might've been better.
  9. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 01:121 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    Why is life unfair?
    It just is. Life is life. Any notion of fairness or otherwise must surely be a anthropomorphic filter that we impose on it.
    alright
    The desire for some eternal justice factors into it since life is perceived unfair.
    happy?
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 01:14
    alright
    The desire for some eternal justice factors into it since life is perceived unfair.
    happy?
    Very.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 01:26
    Why do you think life is unfair?
    Kelly
  12. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 02:10
    What has accepting the finitude of one's life got to do with altruism? Atheists would want to prolong their lives as long as possible since they accept that they only have one life to live.

The founding fathers were not atheists. They were largely deists. And although deists at that time were "slandered" as being atheists, the charge was not true.
  13. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 03:52

[/b]
    Really? To the atheists I know personally, disbelief in a higher power or any sort of existence after death means that they can do whatever they please in this life and treat people consistantly badly. They can enjoy causing others pain and fear because there is no reason not to. They lie and steal as part of their firm belief in survival of the fittest, interpreting *fittest* to mean whoever can hurt the most people and benefit from it. Since they believe there is no one to answer to, then there is no morality, only laws that are sometimes enforced but often not. Perhaps life is precious to SOME atheists, just as SOME people with religions are nasty to people of other religions or atheists.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 03:57
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Really? To the atheists I know personally, disbelief in a higher power or any sort of existence after death means that they can do whatever they please in this life and treat people consistantly badly. They can enjoy causing others pain and fear because there is no reason not to. They lie and steal as part of their firm belief in survival of the fittes ...[text shortened]... atheists, just as SOME people with religions are nasty to people of other religions or atheists.
    Wow, the atheists you know sound like bastards. And you sound like you've had enough. Why do you have anything to do with them?
    (Do you REALLY know people like that? C'mon you can be straight with us.)
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 04:22
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Really? To the atheists I know personally, disbelief in a higher power or any sort of existence after death means that they can do whatever they please in this life and treat people consistantly badly. They can enjoy causing others pain and fear because there is no reason not to. They lie and steal as part of their firm belief in survival of the fittes ...[text shortened]... atheists, just as SOME people with religions are nasty to people of other religions or atheists.
    You sound like you don't know any actual atheists, but rather you know a bunch of sadistic jerks that you mistakenly call atheists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree