1. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 22:06
    Originally posted by David C
    I felt this is worthy of a post. He articulates a sentiment I've tried to express in this forum before.

Life is a gift to all of us. And yet, when one is an atheist, they are sometimes bothered by perhaps well meaning but nevertheless annoying theists, who accuse them of not caring about the life of anyone or anything. It's an odd reaction, beca ...[text shortened]... lling to contemplate.

[b]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/15/23544/992
    [/b]
    A sense of the preciousness of life only comes through thinking there is some meaning to it: theist or atheist. If it's truely pointless then how much time you have here is irrelevant . You could live for a million years and it would still be pointless not 'precious'
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 10:52
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]First of all, Embryonic cells are precursors to all cells.

So? The reason adult stem cells are investigated is because totipotence can be induced in them.

Stem-cell unfortunately have not been coaxed into becoming all types of cells.

Neither have embryonic stem cells. (I presume you're talking about adult stem cells here).

[b ...[text shortened]... lions, even billions, of lives?

Sometimes, principles are more important than living longer.[/b]
    First of all, embryonic cells can become other cells (err...thats kind of the point). Secondly, there are little constraints in adult stem- cell research (in fact there's quite alot). Thridly. you are avoiding the point, if there was no alternative, would you still accept embryonic research?

Your principals can get stuffed. I would rather live then an embryo.

Sometimes, principles are more important than living longer.

Are these Catholic principals? As far as I can see, no one should have to sacrifice their life just for the sake of embryos (which are not wanted).

And as for the nazis, I see a difference between an embryo and a full developed human. I care as much for the zygote as a gram of NaCl.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 11:42
    I might - but at least I'll be given a choice in the matter and do so of my own accord. And, even if I do, it's perfectly debatable whether I should be allowed to.

As for Jesus, he already has.
    I might -

Great. In the meantime, don't forget to sign your organ-donor card.

Not even close. "He" died to save our "immortal souls", not to provide a better life here and now. If it is your belief that he would sacrifice himself for the medical advancement of today's world, then how do you reconcile that belief with your Church's stance on SCR?
  4. London
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 12:21
    Originally posted by amannion
    Simple, it's a human being when it's born.
    I take it, then, that you have no fundamental moral objections to this:

http://wildreelingtruth.blogspot.com/2006/04/free-online-video-partial-birth_17.html
  5. London
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 12:261 edit
    [b]I might -

Great. In the meantime, don't forget to sign your organ-donor card.

Not even close. "He" died to save our "immortal souls", not to provide a better life here and now. If it is your belief that he would sacrifice himself for the medical advancement of today's world, then how do you reconcile that belief with your Church's stance on SCR?[/b]
    1. Already have. Was there a point to that suggestion or were you just being helpful?

2. Some things are worse than death.

EDIT: What's SCR?
  6. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 12:51
    1. Already have. Was there a point to that suggestion or were you just being helpful?

2. Some things are worse than death.

EDIT: What's SCR?
    1. I always try to be helpful.

2. I guess. I mean after all, Life is worse than Death, in the opinion of Christians.

SCR - Stem Cell Research.
  7. London
    Moves
    28 Apr '06 12:551 edit
    1. I always try to be helpful.

2. I guess. I mean after all, Life is worse than Death, in the opinion of Christians.

SCR - Stem Cell Research.
    1. Thanks.

2. You must be thinking of the Manicheans.

3. It's all Stem Cell Research. The question is - which kind (adult, umbilical, embryonic)?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree