1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 11:59
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    For all you know, I could be an MD.
    You can always change your course of study.
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 12:18
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Embryonic research is a potential field of research. It provides the hope of alleviating degenerative diseases. Alternatives such as stem- cell reseach have not proved successful and embryonic research looks promising.

I don't think that we should abandon a line of research which could potentially save lives. Or am I being selfish?
    You might need to check your "facts":

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-smith042302.asp
  3. London
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 12:30
    Originally posted by Halitose
    You might need to check your "facts":

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-smith042302.asp
    There is this article by Maureen Condic as well:

http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0201/articles/condic.html

"Maureen L. Condic, ..., is an Assistant Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy at the University of Utah, working on the regeneration of adult and embryonic neurons following spinal cord injury."

http://www.neuro.utah.edu/people/faculty/condic.php
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 18:10
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Ha ha. Tel, is this the inverse of the "true" Christian argument?
    Yes, I noticed that connection when I was writing and carefully engineered my post not to fall into that trap.

Err . . . I hope.
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 18:26
    Originally posted by telerion
    Yes, I noticed that connection when I was writing and carefully engineered my post not to fall into that trap.

Err . . . I hope.
    Here's my take on it: Since it has been numerously reiterated in this forum that atheism makes no claim to any form of morality/non-morality, it would be wrong to exclude anybody from the "atheist" community if they meet the given criteria of a disbelief/denial/non-belief of God. Did I miss something?
  6. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 22:07
    Originally posted by amannion
    Wow, the atheists you know sound like bastards. And you sound like you've had enough. Why do you have anything to do with them?
    (Do you REALLY know people like that? C'mon you can be straight with us.)
    Um, these are people I'm related to. Actually, it'd be safe to call them sociopaths. One has been in jail so much that he often gets rides to the state border when he gets out of prison. His father and sister are just as bad, if not worse, but have never been arrested (out of sheer luck) as far as I know.
  7. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 22:10
    You sound like you don't know any actual atheists, but rather you know a bunch of sadistic jerks that you mistakenly call atheists.
    Um, no, you can be both a sadistic jerk and an atheist. You can also pretend to have a religion and be a sadistic jerk, but these are more honest in that regard. They loudly proclaim themselves to be atheists, are just as hostile to theists as anyone on this forum saying pretty much the same things, so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that I am mistaken in taking their word for it. Do you suspect they are lying and are really deep down good Christians?
  8. Joined
    23 Apr '06
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 23:07
    Originally posted by reader1107
    Um, no, you can be both a sadistic jerk and an atheist. You can also pretend to have a religion and be a sadistic jerk, but these are more honest in that regard. They loudly proclaim themselves to be atheists, are just as hostile to theists as anyone on this forum saying pretty much the same things, so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion tha ...[text shortened]... ing their word for it. Do you suspect they are lying and are really deep down good Christians?
    "Um, no, you can be both a sadistic jerk and an atheist. You can also pretend to have a religion and be a sadistic jerk"

you missed out that you can really have a religion and be a sadistic jerk....
  9. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    26 Apr '06 23:48
    Um, no, you can be both a sadistic jerk and an atheist. You can also pretend to have a religion and be a sadistic jerk, but these are more honest in that regard. They loudly proclaim themselves to be atheists, are just as hostile to theists as anyone on this forum saying pretty much the same things, so I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion tha ...[text shortened]... ing their word for it. Do you suspect they are lying and are really deep down good Christians?
    I have never said that one couldn't be both an atheist and a sadistic jerk. That's the point. There's no reason to connect anti-social behavior with atheism. This is what I believed you were likely doing.

Perhaps, you were not though. Maybe you have only encountered self-proclaimed (loudly) atheists that also happen to be sadistic jerks. If you know more than one of these individuals then it's been an unlucky draw for you. Let me assure you that most atheists are not sadistic jerks, just as most xians, though not all, are pretty swell people.
  10. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 00:15
    I'd be concerned about anyone loudly proclaiming anything and being hostile to anyone. To me that's not about being an atheist or a theist - it's about being a prick. And there's many of them around.
    Atheism is a personal position. I don't need to proselytise. (But I love a good argument and debate.)
  11. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 00:24
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    An embryo is a human being.
    That's true in the same way that an egg is a chicken.
    Both are trivial.

An embryo is a potential human being, nothing more.
  12. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 00:40
    I have never said that one couldn't be both an atheist and a sadistic jerk. That's the point. There's no reason to connect anti-social behavior with atheism. This is what I believed you were likely doing.

Perhaps, you were not though. Maybe you have only encountered self-proclaimed (loudly) atheists that also happen to be sadistic jerks. If you kn ...[text shortened]... theists are not sadistic jerks, just as most xians, though not all, are pretty swell people.
    I'm sorry, what I meant to do was refute the OP which seemed to be a blanket statement of how caring and life-affirming (paraphrase) atheists are. Some may be. I don't see it as a function of being an atheist, as I know cases to the contrary. I think some people are and will be good (or awful or fair-to-middlin' or psychotic or doing-the-best-they-can or any other type of) people regardless of where they are on the religion/theistic spectrum. I'm not bashing the category of atheist -- I've lived with some remarkably nasty nuns as well.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 00:59
    I'm sorry, what I meant to do was refute the OP which seemed to be a blanket statement of how caring and life-affirming (paraphrase) atheists are. Some may be. I don't see it as a function of being an atheist, as I know cases to the contrary. I think some people are and will be good (or awful or fair-to-middlin' or psychotic or doing-the-best-they-can ...[text shortened]... not bashing the category of atheist -- I've lived with some remarkably nasty nuns as well.
    Nothing is a function of being an atheist, except for not believing in god.
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 01:08
    I'm sorry, what I meant to do was refute the OP which seemed to be a blanket statement of how caring and life-affirming (paraphrase) atheists are. Some may be. I don't see it as a function of being an atheist, as I know cases to the contrary. I think some people are and will be good (or awful or fair-to-middlin' or psychotic or doing-the-best-they-can ...[text shortened]... not bashing the category of atheist -- I've lived with some remarkably nasty nuns as well.
    There are always outliers on any data set. There are always idiot atheists and idiot christians and idiot muslims and idiot everyone else. To cut a long story short, there are alot of idiots out there in the world, but there are alot of good people too. Personally, I think belief in the supernatural is simply fooling yourself, but I also think it must be nice to be able to fool yourself in that way - I cannot.
  15. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    27 Apr '06 01:17
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    There are always outliers on any data set. There are always idiot atheists and idiot christians and idiot muslims and idiot everyone else. To cut a long story short, there are alot of idiots out there in the world, but there are alot of good people too. Personally, I think belief in the supernatural is simply fooling yourself, but I also think it must be nice to be able to fool yourself in that way - I cannot.
    Scottish that sounds a bit touchy feely for you. What's wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree