Well said, atheist...

Well said, atheist...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by telerion
You sound like you don't know any actual atheists, but rather you know a bunch of sadistic jerks that you mistakenly call atheists.
Ha ha. Tel, is this the inverse of the "true" Christian argument?

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
26 Apr 06

http://anightmare.ytmnd.com/

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Halitose
Ha ha. Tel, is this the inverse of the "true" Christian argument?
surely, a "true" Christian is a contradiction in terms.

l

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Omnislash
http://anightmare.ytmnd.com/
i already started a banana thread...

Cape Town

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by reader1107
Really? To the atheists I know personally, disbelief in a higher power or any sort of existence after death means that they can do whatever they please in this life and treat people consistantly badly. They can enjoy causing others pain and fear because there is no reason not to. They lie and steal as part of their firm belief in survival of the fittes ...[text shortened]... atheists, just as SOME people with religions are nasty to people of other religions or atheists.
I actually personally know very few athiests other than myself. However I know plenty of theists who are perfectly willing to lie, cheat, steal etc. I have only ever heard the 'survival of the fittest' arguement from theists. There are several theists on this forum who have clearly stated that they too do not have to answer for thier actions. In fact that is, I believe, the main basis of Christianity is it not? Forgiveness for sins?
I think how nice or nasty people are to each other often has more to do with culture and upbringing than religion.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by telerion
You sound like you don't know any actual atheists, but rather you know a bunch of sadistic jerks that you mistakenly call atheists.
Reminiscent of dj2becker's stories of the legions of satanists and junkies he's personally acquainted with.

L

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Reminiscent of dj2becker's stories of the legions of satanists and junkies he's personally acquainted with.
My personal favorite dj2 story is about the former pothead (whom dj2 knows personally) who used to roll his joints with pages he tore from The Bible. One day, this pothead atheist allegedly started, casually at first, reading some of these pages that he was ripping out and using to roll joints. Naturally, he confessed his sins and converted to Christianity right then and there. The demons leapt from his body and his lungs were newly cleansed. Goodbye Mary J, hello Jesus H!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by LemonJello
My personal favorite dj2 story is about the former pothead (whom dj2 knows personally) who used to roll his joints with pages he tore from The Bible.
A classic. Of course it wasn't just one pothead who converted as a result of those verses so felicitously glimpsed through the fragrant, smoky haze, but a whole bunch--all known personally to dj2.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by David C
I felt this is worthy of a post. He articulates a sentiment I've tried to express in this forum before.

Life is a gift to all of us. And yet, when one is an atheist, they are sometimes bothered by perhaps well meaning but nevertheless annoying theists, who accuse them of not caring about the life of anyone or anything. It's an odd reaction, beca ...[text shortened]... lling to contemplate.

[b]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/15/23544/992
[/b]
That said, but I would still choose a human being over an embryo, no matter how living any embro is.

l

London

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Conrau K
That said, but I would still choose a human being over an embryo, no matter how living any embro is.
An embryo is a human being.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
An embryo is a human being.
Very good. I'm glad someones finally instructed you in biology.

Anyway, do you honestly think that we should allow fully developed people to die just to allow embryos to survive? (embryos that are not wanted I should add).

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by reader1107
Really? To the atheists I know personally, disbelief in a higher power or any sort of existence after death means that they can do whatever they please in this life and treat people consistantly badly. They can enjoy causing others pain and fear because there is no reason not to. They lie and steal as part of their firm belief in survival of the fittes ...[text shortened]... atheists, just as SOME people with religions are nasty to people of other religions or atheists.
Actually as Dawkins explains, survival of the fittest would select altruism over selfishness since a society provides more reproductive success and societies just dont function is selfishness- not his words, but it will do.

l

London

Moves
26 Apr 06
1 edit

Very good. I'm glad someones finally instructed you in biology.

For all you know, I could be an MD. Don't make unwarranted assumptions about a person you've never even met.

It's "someone's", btw.

Anyway, do you honestly think that we should allow fully developed people to die just to allow embryos to survive? (embryos that are not wanted I should add).

Can you give a specific instance of that happening? And, in whatever example you provide, can you also explain why it is that embryonic stem cell research (which is, I presume, what you're talking about) is the only possible solution?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 06

Can you give a specific instance of that happening? And, in whatever example you provide, can you also explain why it is that embryonic stem cell research (which is, I presume, what you're talking about) is the only possible solution?
Embryonic research is a potential field of research. It provides the hope of alleviating degenerative diseases. Alternatives such as stem- cell reseach have not proved successful and embryonic research looks promising.

I don't think that we should abandon a line of research which could potentially save lives. Or am I being selfish?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
26 Apr 06

[b]For all you know, I could be an MD. Don't make unwarranted assumptions about a person you've never even met.
I never suggested otherwise. But your coment about embryo's being human beings was trivial to what I was saying.