1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 17:392 edits
    @philokalia said
    This is because any spiritual progress becomes impossible if you are not humble.
    I think so. And all spiritual decline began with pride. From the very ancient past the fall started with the most beautiful creature become also the most proud and self exalted in pride.

Fortunately, we know where we can go to get humility - to the perfect man, the Lord Jesus.

I am really proud in natural self. But I can turn my heart to the Lord Jesus flowing within me. He can be whatever we need. What a salvation!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 17:424 edits
    Philokalia,

I think the first step is to call Him - "Lord . . . Jesus". In fact it must be true
    " . . . and no one can say, Jesus is Lord! except in the Holy Spirit." (1 Cor. 12:3b)

It says that no man can say "Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit. That must mean under the influence of the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit.

So we can exercise some healthy godly humility by praying sincerely - "Lord Jesus, I so desire to be in the Holy Spirit. Lord Jesus I confess you now as Lord. Lord Jesus flow into me as the Holy Spirit. Thankyou Lord Jesus."

Get ready for Rajk999 to come rushing in to tell the world that this confessing of Jesus as Lord is a big waste of time. Who do you suppose he is working for in declaring this?

But I say if you want to be in the Holy Spirit then confess the Lord Jesus as your Lord, as THE Lord.

Tis humbling AND exalting at the same time !
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 19:46
    @divegeester said
    Well I don’t call other Christians “asholes” whenever I’ve had a couple of drinks.

But yeah, I’m not impressed by the religionists posting in this forum.
    Maybe he meant to call them "Ashmoleans"?

After some time away, and no little thanks to Michelle Yeoh, I think I'm beginning to appreciate you.

So, if I may ask, would you say you are more a Flower of Light, or Dust in the Wind? 😉
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 19:54
    @caesar-salad said
    Maybe he meant to call them "Ashmoleans"?

After some time away, and no little thanks to Michelle Yeoh, I think I'm beginning to appreciate you.

So, if I may ask, would you say you are more a Flower of Light, or Dust in the Wind? 😉
    How was rehab?
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 19:58
    @divegeester said
    How was rehab?
    It was contentious, simple-minded, and somewhat disappointing.

How was yours? 😉
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 20:42
    @FMF

Sir, I have disparaged your character and questioned your judgment because of your glaringly poor choice of a friend. But I acknowledge that there might be more going on behind the scenes and that you might still have some shred of respectability nonetheless.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 21:25
    @philokalia said
    This is because any spiritual progress becomes impossible if you are not humble.
    What is humility but some natural and erstwhile happy sprout of God wilting and withering because some haughty, cruel jackass "of God" said that was the way forward?
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    23 Feb '21 23:59
    @sonship said
    I think so. And all spiritual decline began with pride. From the very ancient past the fall started with the most beautiful creature become also the most proud and self exalted in pride.

Fortunately, we know where we can go to get humility - to the perfect man, the Lord Jesus.

I am really proud in natural self. But I can turn my heart to the Lord Jesus flowing within me. He can be whatever we need. What a salvation!
    Whenever I need to feel humble, I just look at my Elo. ^^
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    24 Feb '21 00:00
    @sonship said
    Philokalia,

I think the first step is to call Him - "Lord . . . Jesus". In fact it must be true
    " . . . and no one can say, Jesus is Lord! except in the Holy Spirit." (1 Cor. 12:3b)

It says that no man can say "Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit. That must mean under the influence of the Spirit of God, the Holy Spirit.

So we can ...[text shortened]... ss the Lord Jesus as your Lord, as THE Lord.

Tis humbling AND exalting at the same time !
    Doctrinally, I believe the Holy Spirit is received upon Baptism, and that it is the case that it leaves us when we are unrepentant in our sin. But I am not positive if this is the proper, dogmatic understanding of the Holy Spirit, though it makes sense that being unrepentant would bar us from having the Holy Spirit.

And how can we repent without humility?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '21 00:00

Removed by poster

11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Feb '21 00:083 edits
    @Philokalia
    Doctrinally, I believe the Holy Spirit is received upon Baptism, and that it is the case that it leaves us when we are unrepentant in our sin. But I am not positive if this is the proper, dogmatic understanding of the Holy Spirit, though it makes sense that being unrepentant would bar us from having the Holy Spirit.

And how can we repent without humility?

It is hard unless you are convicted.
    I think God being light is merciful not to expose all in one instant the total degree of our wickedness.
    "God is light and in Him is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)

I think He convicts a sometimes a little at a time. He waits to see what we will do with this amount of light given us. If we respond with a change in our thinking, more light will be given.

For Him to throw the whole 10,000,000 watts of illumination upon us at one time would be terrible.

We are all on a rendezvous with Light. It is good to humble ourselves with repentance with the conviction God allows each of us now.

The issues of the Holy Spirit we may talk about a bit latter. I am thinking on how I would like to respond.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '21 01:36
    @caesar-salad said
    Sir, I have disparaged your character and questioned your judgment because of your glaringly poor choice of a friend. But I acknowledge that there might be more going on behind the scenes and that you might still have some shred of respectability nonetheless.
    Stick it in your ear.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '21 05:06
    @caesar-salad said
    It was contentious, simple-minded, and somewhat disappointing.

How was yours? 😉
    Costly.
  14. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    01 Mar '21 07:56
    @fmf said
    Posted by a Christian on another thread

"Your mind lives in a world where Jesus is dead. What a waste of intelligence."

Does it take intelligence to believe Jesus is still alive and does it indicate some shortfall in intelligence if one believes he died over 2 000 years ago?

What role does intelligence play in religious belief and faith?
    In my view religious belief has nothing to do with intelligence.
    It has to do with emotional and spiritual insecurity.
    Also, background, education and family.
    There are, of course, a lot of stupid people who proclaim their faith just to boost their sense of self-importance.
    I am mot a believer, but I have highly intelligent friends who are fervent Christians - we have brilliant discussions!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree