1. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 01:20
    ... for determining morality?

In another thread I asked the question "What are the rules for determining morality?" For atheists, without using the bible or any religion, what guides and forms your morality?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 01:261 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte

In another thread I asked the question "What are the rules for determining morality?" For atheists, without using the bible or any religion, what guides and forms your morality?
    Atheists can speak for themselves, but for me ~ as a non-religionist ~ I'd say [with "morality" being a code that governs human interactions] that the basic bricks are [1] Do not harm others [2] Do not deceive [3] Do not coerce. Of course life and the complexities of human interactions make things a bit more tricky and involved, but those three things are a starting point.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 06:45

I don't think there are any rules.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 07:06

What's the use of having a bible and still not live by its morals...?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 08:31

1. Do not cause harm to others with the possible exception of preventing harm to yourself.
    2. Assist others at avoiding harm with the possible exception of when the cost to yourself would be high.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:31

For the follower of Jesus the most important rule is "life and peace".

"The mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace." (Romans 8:7)

He or she has the word of God, the Holy Spirit of God, and the sense of "life and peace" deep in the innermost human spirit.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 11:37
    In among all these rules they should be one fact noted. Sometimes you don't really know how you are going to act until you act. Complete self control is an illusion. Forgiveness for some of your acts will most certainly be needed.

Maybe that.s a non-religionist way of saying we're all sinners.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 12:31
    Originally posted by JS357
    In among all these rules they should be one fact noted. Sometimes you don't really know how you are going to act until you act. Complete self control is an illusion. Forgiveness for some of your acts will most certainly be needed.

Maybe that.s a non-religionist way of saying we're all sinners.
    It should also be noted that many of our actions are not taken for moral reasons. What I do for love (of family and friends etc) should not be confused with morality. And I may even act immorally for the sake of loved ones - and feel justified in doing so.
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 13:10

I am not sure that there are 'The Rules' of how you determine morality...
    At least not as I think you mean the phrase.

There are a number of different systems for creating a secular moral code, on
    which I am not an expert so I am not about to try to explain them all here.

However, speaking generally, I think you need to start by asking what morality
    actually is. And the best description I know of is Sam Harris' where he describes
    morality as [and I am paraphrasing] a system for determining what behaviours,
    courses of action, and laws, produce a society that best maximises the wellbeing of
    it's members.

So the test for a moral system is how well it maximises the wellbeing of the people
    who adhere to it. The more we know about how people function, and what makes
    people happy, healthy, and content, The better a moral system we can devise.

There may well be more than one way to maximise wellbeing and thus there may
    well be no one 'right answer', or 'The Rules' to follow.

This does not mean that there are not clearly wrong answers, which there emphatically
    are.
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '14 15:52
    Originally posted by sonship
    For the follower of Jesus the most important rule is [b]"life and peace".

"The mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace." (Romans 8:7)

He or she has the word of God, the Holy Spirit of God, and the sense of "life and peace" deep in the innermost human spirit.[/b]
    There have been and continue to be lots of wars based on religious differences. If indeed life and peace is the most important rule then god should let himself be known (without room for doubt) and set things straight.

But perhaps god has different idea of "the most important rule".
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 02:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    What's the use of having a bible and still not live by its morals...?
    Not sure what you are asking, rephrase ?
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 02:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I don't think there are any rules.
    How about basis vs rules, do you have one?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 03:23

There are no moral rules for atheists. They only have animal instincts to guide them.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 03:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There are no moral rules for atheists. They only have animal instincts to guide them.
    I would have thought that you, a Christian, would have believed that atheists were "guided" by the same hard wiring that you believe God gave all humans when he created them.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Apr '14 08:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would have thought that you, a Christian, would have believed that atheists were "guided" by the same hard wiring that you believe God gave all humans when he created them.
    Surprise. I believe atheist have disconnected any moral hard wiring and live totally on animal instincts. To be rewired they must be born again of the spirit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree