What are the rules...

What are the rules...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y

Moves
18 Apr 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
There are no moral rules for atheists. They only have animal instincts to guide them.
I don't believe that, there are non-believers in Jesus that act better than some that believe.

y

Moves
18 Apr 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
There have been and continue to be lots of wars based on religious differences. If indeed life and peace is the most important rule then god should let himself be known (without room for doubt) and set things straight.

But perhaps god has different idea of "the most important rule".
The thing GKR, God has let himself be known and every Christian (for the most part) understands this. He has made himself know in the person of Jesus Christ, it is that some choose to ignore that.

F

Moves
18 Apr 14

Surprise. I believe atheist have disconnected any moral hard wiring and live totally on animal instincts. To be rewired they must be born again of the spirit.
But the fact that atheists don't in fact have "animal" morality but instead have morality that is, for the most part, comparable to fellow humans ~ both religionists and non-religionists ~ the world over, without having memorized it and internalized it from theological texts, strongly suggests that "hard wiring" is front and centre when it comes to the codes governing human interactions.

w

Moves
18 Apr 14
4 edits

Originally posted by yoctobyte
... for determining morality?

In another thread I asked the question "What are the rules for determining morality?" For atheists, without using the bible or any religion, what guides and forms your morality?
What I find interesting is the role authority plays with shaping morality.

For example, here in the US back in the 1800's, slavery was the law of the land. If you had asked the average person if slavery was "OK", most would say it is, even though they may have added it's not ideal.

Now turn the clock forward hundreds of years after slavery had been made illegal and ask the same question. Most, if not all, will say that slavery is immoral.

Likewise, look at the abortion issue. When abortion was illegal most would have said that abortion was immoral. However, turn the clock forward to today with abortion being the law of the land for decades and most will say it's "OK", even though they may concede it is not ideal.

The reason I know that both slavery and abortion are immoral is that even though people may say it is OK, deep down they know it is not ideal.

To sum up, we are sheep or might makes right. However you want to look at it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Apr 14

Originally posted by FMF
But the fact that atheists don't in fact have "animal" morality but instead have morality that is, for the most part, comparable to fellow humans ~ both religionists and non-religionists ~ the world over, without having memorized it and internalized it from theological texts, strongly suggests that "hard wiring" is front and centre when it comes to the codes governing human interactions.
Well, I don't believe they think so. Anyway, something is wrong with them.

Infidel

Moves
18 Apr 14
1 edit

The thing GKR, God has let himself be known and every Christian (for the most part) understands this. He has made himself know in the person of Jesus Christ, it is that some choose to ignore that.
The vast majority doesn't "understand", as you put it. Further, it is not a choice to (not) believe in a certain god. This has been mentioned here time and time again, but it's part of the religious indoctrination to make people believe that believing is a choice.

All of this is moot however, because god (being omnipotent) could easily fix this and if love and peace is indeed his most important rule then that is exactly what he should do.

He should fix this not by some vague way like he did before (send son, let him die, assume that son will be known all over the world, assume the son will be regarded as a true son of God all over the world, assume His words will be written down exactly as intended, assume no mistakes will be made intranslations, etc etc etc) but by being absolutely clear about it.

If I was a scientist and I knew for sure a large earthquake was imminent would I warn the people with vague psalms and poems and metaphors or would I be as clear and upfront about it as possible? What about you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Apr 14

The vast majority doesn't "understand", as you put it. Further, it is not a choice to (not) believe in a certain god. This has been mentioned here time and time again, but it's part of the religious indoctrination to make people believe that believing is a choice.

All of this is moot however, because god (being omnipotent) could easily fix this and ...[text shortened]... and poems and metaphors or would I be as clear and upfront about it as possible? What about you?
What does it matter, if they refuse to believe?

y

Moves
18 Apr 14

All of this is moot however, because god (being omnipotent) could easily fix this and ...[text shortened]... and poems and metaphors or would I be as clear and upfront about it as possible? What about you?
I want to answer your post and will, but will take a minute or two to think through.

Infidel

Moves
18 Apr 14

You can't "refuse" to believe, stupid. How is this not getting through to you??

Infidel

Moves
18 Apr 14

I want to answer your post and will, but will take a minute or two to think through.
No hurry. This ain't a chatroom but a forum.

y

Moves
18 Apr 14

It matters because of what is at stake. No?

Infidel

Moves
18 Apr 14

... for determining morality?

In another thread I asked the question "What are the rules for determining morality?" For atheists, without using the bible or any religion, what guides and forms your morality?
Our morality is based on our biological instinct to reproduce. Being the species we are, we require that our offspring gets taken care of extremely well (notice the utter helplessness of human offspring compared to other animals) which is why we need functioning societies. And we are smart enough to realise that if we want other people to not hurt us and our offspring we need to treat those people the same way we'd like them to treat us.

Of course, sometimes our animal instincts take over and morality goes out the window.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Apr 14

You can't "refuse" to believe, stupid. How is this not getting through to you??
They can be willingly ignorant (2 Peter 3:5) which is basically the same thing.

Infidel

Moves
18 Apr 14

They can be willingly ignorant (2 Peter 3:5) which is basically the same thing.
Please explain.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Apr 14

It matters because of what is at stake. No?
I am not speaking of the believers, but of the unbelievers who are willingly ignorant and refuse to believe.