1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 16:061 edit
    According to the King James Bible (any will do!), Matthew says (13:42):
    "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Why do souls, burning forever or otherwise, need teeth? what do they eat, and why is eating required in heaven (or hell)? Supposing souls do need to eat, what happens if they engaged so much in a kissing-God's-arse-fest that they forget to eat? Will they die??? 😕
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 17:18
    Originally posted by Agerg
    "And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

Why do souls, burning forever or otherwise, need teeth? what do they eat, and why is eating required in heaven (or hell)? Supposing souls do need to eat, what happens if they engaged so much in a kissing-God's-arse-fest that they forget to eat? Will they die??? 😕
    Allegorical.
    The burning of flesh has long been considered the worst of all possible deaths.
    Hell is described using physical nomenclature for the purpose of relation.
    God want us to imagine the worst possible pain, the type of torment that would induce the gnashing of our teeth, and then equate such horrors with the concept of being forever separated from the most glorious being inside or outside of the universe.

P.S.
    Did you see my comments on your Pascal thread?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 17:55

Well they are probably not souls,maybe they are fleshly bodies?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 18:14

Because gnashing of gums is just silly.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 19:073 edits
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Allegorical.
    The burning of flesh has long been considered the worst of all possible deaths.
    Hell is described using physical nomenclature for the purpose of relation.
    God want us to imagine the worst possible pain, the type of torment that would induce the gnashing of our teeth, and then equate such horrors with the concept of being forever separated f ...[text shortened]... being inside or outside of the universe.

P.S.
    Did you see my comments on your Pascal thread?
    Regarding your P.S. first, sorry I missed that one - I appreciate your response and I will try and respond to it properly when I have chance (got an interview on Monday, a coding test to be submitted no later than Monday, and some code samples to send off before Tuesday - can only manage small posts here for the time being)

Regarding your response here, allegory is fair enough, though I suppose you'd have to believe there was an existent God in the first place to accept the pain of separation is consistent with the picture that passage is trying to evoke (so it will carry little weight of persuasiveness for non-believers - such as myself).
    At any rate however, you don't speak for some of your peers who seem to genuinely believe that the pain and suffering will actually be a literal and eternal burning of ones soul (or some vessel to contain that soul) for all eternity. This of course comes with all sorts of questions/problems which few (none?) of said theists are willing to consider.
  6. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 19:091 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Well they are probably not souls,maybe they are fleshly bodies?
    But then (operating under the assumption you don't actually believe in a literal hell) that requires an explanation of how these fleshy bodies are resilient enough to withstand burning for all eternity!
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 19:15
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Allegorical.
    How do you distinguish the allegorical from the factual in the bible?
    I mean ; its not as if the allegorical bits are in italics!

Is it a personal choice or have you been taught?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    How do you distinguish the allegorical from the factual in the bible?
    I mean ; its not as if the allegorical bits are in italics!

Is it a personal choice or have you been taught?
    You may have to be taught to understand metaphor and allegory. You might try to find explanations of them on the internet, but if you still can't understand you may have to take a college course in grammar and literature.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/23588/what-is-the-difference-between-metaphorical-allegorical-and-figurative
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 04:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You may have to be taught to understand metaphor and allegory. You might try to find explanations of them on the internet, but if you still can't understand you may have to take a college course in grammar and literature.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/23588/what-is-the-difference-between-metaphorical-allegorical-and-figurative
    I wasn't asking you. Idiot.
    You don't understand the question let alone provide an answer.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 10:59
    ... these fleshy bodies are resilient enough to withstand burning for all eternity!
    I'm not sure where you get this from (eternal hell, eternal burning), but it is not something I accept in my view of Christianity.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 11:34

Do you think only people are going to be in Hell? Are you sure of the state of those
    being cast into Hell, what type of bodies they will have? How do you know they
    will be teethless souls?
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 11:35

The real question shouldn't be about teeth, but is this something to be avoided or
    not, than how if you accept it as possible?
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 12:55
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not sure where you get this from (eternal hell, eternal burning), but it is not something I accept in my view of Christianity.
    The likes of Grampy Bobby, kellyJay (I think), and others (I forget their names) genuinely do believe atheists such as me will be grilled forever and ever and ... ever. For those that do, the question in the OP or the alternate question I suggested to you previously applies.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 13:024 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Do you think only people are going to be in Hell? Are you sure of the state of those
    being cast into Hell, what type of bodies they will have? How do you know they
    will be teethless souls?
    Kelly
    Sober up and try again; as an atheist I don't think *anyone* or *anything* is going to hell.

I am asking the likes of *YOU*, and other genuine believers in this idea, what types of body they'll have, and whether or not they'll have teeth or not (and why they need them!). Why am I asking!? because this fiery hell thing really is a silly idea! and I like grilling peopleReveal Hidden Content
    no pun intended
    on their crazy beliefs.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 13:05
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The real question shouldn't be about teeth, but is this something to be avoided or
    not, than how if you accept it as possible?
    Kelly
    No...I like my question better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree