1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:391 edit
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    How can you say you got an open mind when you say evolution is a fact? as a matter of fact it is not a fact, but it is a theory. did you know that the chances of evolution are about the same as if somone dropped building lumber from space, and it falls on the ground as a house?
    To call evolution a theory, and then to propound upon its statistical improbability is disingenuous, if not outright dishonest. I have been arguing incessantly that it is a theory, as distinct from fact, while many others defending evolution have persisted in using the term "fact" in these forums. Perhaps I should abandon my distinction--one that most scientists use--because it is a bit over the heads of the simpletons who continue to express their anti-evolutionist ideologies.

The way you use the word theory evolution does not fit to it as well as it does to the word fact as rwingett employs that term.

Yes, evolution is a theory because it accounts for the [/i]facts[/i], including the fact of common descent, and because it effectively predicts new facts. In this sense, as you use the term--in common usage--evolution is a fact, in fact. There are few facts more useful and more reliable than the theory of evolution.

The alternative that you and others put forth as theory: creationism, special design, ID, or whatever else you wish to call it amounts to little more than the digested grasses deposited by male bovines. In common language, such views are neither facts nor theories, and they are even more severely neither of those as the terms are used in science. At best, at very best, the Design Institute in Seattle has put forth a hypothesis that is more theology than science, but that has generated a few subordinate hypotheses that are close enough to science that the institute's director has successfully published one article in a refereed scientific journal--something none of the ICR folks have accomplished, despite more than three decades of effort.
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:412 edits
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    Your ignorance is appaling . You don't even understand the concepts you're criticising . If you took a couple of college level classes in zoology , geology , and paleontology this might all be solved . Every thread here becomes bogged ...[text shortened]...

I'm going to go read a book now . I suggest you try the same .
    Moldy Crow: "We're going to see a new renaissance in this society the day the very last one of you drinks his poisoned koolaid and gets the he11 out of the gene pool ."

I consider this to be one of the program points we can find in your "Liberal Manifesto". It echos the thoughts presented in the past by people who also thought of themselves as let's say "Better People".

As you can imagine the statement you made has a meaning that reminds Europeans of the tragic past of this continent.

3. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:421 edit
    No we don't wonder at this as we understand the the word "theory" has multiple definitions . You being stupid , do not know this and have but one definition for the word which is incorrectly applied by you to scientific contexts . In ...[text shortened]... to crack is a dictionary . You're really not very bright , kid .
    a plausable or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena

exactly! An idea that is offered as an explanation is not a fact.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:45
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    *Sigh* Another one that says Evolution is a fact.

Even the most respected Evoution [sic] scientist will tell you evolution is only a theory
    "only" = your fatal error

the word only properly stands before the word fact in a sentence also containing the word theory

Because of your confusion on this point, you are spreading those digested grasses that I mentioned in my prior post.
  5. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Well, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Yet again.

I have to go to work now. I won't be able to continue this less than enlightened discussion for a while. In the meantime you creationists can insert my following response to all your subsequent posts:

[b]Evolution is a fact. The depth of your stupidity is absolutely appalling.

Bye. [/b]
    So Rwingett swiped Darwins' THEORY of Evolution from him and made it Rwingett's FACT called Evolution.

Sigh... I suppose he is justified to do so by his own definition of "fact".

6. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:47
    Originally posted by chinking58
    [b] a plausable or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena

exactly! An idea that is offered]/b] as an explanation is not a fact.
    You can play the semantics game all you want . TOE is accepted as fact , no matter how you try to torture Webster .
  7. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:50
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So Rwingett swiped Darwins' THEORY of Evolution from him and made it Rwingett's FACT called Evolution.

Please note, for it applies to you as well. Do I need to explain "digested grasses"?

Originally posted by Wulebgr
    "only" = your fatal error

the word only properly stands before the word fact in a sentence also containing the word theory

Because of your confusion on this point, you are spreading those digested grasses that I mentioned in my prior post.
  8. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:50

Go back to the last page and reread the definitions of "theory" . I am beginning to suspect what I thought was impossible - You are the only person alive capable of writing while incapable of reading .
  9. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:53
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Moldy Crow: "We're going to see a new renaissance in this society the day the very last one of you drinks his poisoned koolaid and gets the he11 out of the gene pool ."

I consider this to be one of the program points we can find in your "Liberal Manifesto". It echos the thoughts presented in the past by people who also thought of themselves as let's ...[text shortened]... tement you made has a meaning that reminds Europeans of the tragic past of this continent.

I can live with that .
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 18:57
    I can live with that .

One thing is for sure: You do not suffer from an inferiority complex.
  11. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:04

One thing is for sure: You do not suffer from an inferiority complex.
    LOL - No , I'd have to say that's pretty far down on the list of the many things I've been accused of . (And if you're calling me the equivilant of a pompus ass , bravo ! Well done !)
  12. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:17
    LOL - No , I'd have to say that's pretty far down on the list of the many things I've been accused of . (And if you're calling me the equivilant of a pompus ass , bravo ! Well done !)

Your statements have a certain "ring" to it ....... know what I'm saying ?
  13. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 19:37

Your statements have a certain "ring" to it ....... know what I'm saying ?
    To be insulted in such a manner rises to art . I can not be offended by good art . Fire away !
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    16 Jul '05 04:26

Hey, dj2becker, how much of that website I recommended to you have you had a chance to read through yet? You asked me for one shred of evidence for evolution earlier today. When you dismissed the 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution I pointed out to you within 11 minutes of me posting the link, I thought maybe you were just confused or something.

I mean, since you're so "open minded" and all, I figured you'd jump at the chance to read it. But when you dismissed the site within 11 minutes, I began to suspect you hadn't read any of it. I bet you didn't even read the introduction, did you? You respond to my posts regularly, so I'm pretty confident that you know how to read. So what's up? Show us that you're as open minded as you pride yourself in being and read the site. When you're done with it, then maybe you'll be able to make an intelligent and well reasoned post about evolution. Because (let's see...how did you put it?) it becomes very obvious when a guy rants along to try and protect the foundation of his belief system. Especially when the entire belief system crumbles when you start shaking the foundation.

Let us know when you're done.
  15. Not Kansas
    Moves
    16 Jul '05 04:37
    Originally posted by chinking58
    [b] a plausable or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena

exactly! An idea that is offered as an explanation is not a fact.[/b]
    Unless it turns out to be a fact. Watch the generalizations.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree