1. Pepperland
    Moves
    04 Apr '09 22:40
    What if all religions were wrong, and failed to understand what God is really about?

Maybe we didn't get what Jesus' message was all about.

If we had, our world would have been much better.

Of course, this is just a question, it may not be true, but anyway let's think out of the box just this time.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '09 22:47
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    What if all religions were wrong, and failed to understand what God is really about?

Of course, this is just a question, it may not be true, but anyway let's think out of the box just this time.
    Good point and probably they way it actually is.
  3. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    04 Apr '09 22:581 edit
    I haven't had enough conversations with you to decide whether or whether not you are a theist and lack the inclnation to do any research on the matter 🙂 but I can agree to an extent with your OP. (I don't yet know if there is a god at all however, and have little reason to invoke one!)

From my perspective, I see no reason to compare any two religions and find that one is more plausible than the other. However, I'm quite sure that if there is a god (big *if* btw), and Jesus existed then despite the suggestion that he may have been wise and better informed than his peers he has been venerated to a status he neither deserves nor would have wanted by primitive folk enthralled by his charisma.

I find any human (or creature) pretentious to define an entity which by definition lies outside its ability to perceive in any way other than its supposed manifestation in our dimensions; hence I am quite sure that all religions are indeed wrong.
  4. Break-twitching
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 01:391 edit

It's not that man didn't get the messages and instructions from Jesus, it's that man refuses to live by them.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 01:54

What if Jesus's teachings, as taught to us by the RC Church, are right ?
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 03:24

If all religions were wrong then Jesus wasn't divine at all.
  7. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 04:12
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I haven't had enough conversations with you to decide whether or whether not you are a theist and lack the inclnation to do any research on the matter 🙂 but I can agree to an extent with your OP. (I don't yet know if there is a god at all however, and have little reason to invoke one!)

From my perspective, I see no reason to compare any two religions and f ...[text shortened]... d manifestation in our dimensions; hence I am quite sure that all religions are indeed wrong.
    Although Buddhism is classified as a religion, I am not at all convinced it is wrong; at least it isn't wrong in the same way theistic religions are wrong.

I think Buddhist philosophy makes a lot of valid points; the truth of its message as a religion I leave to others.

I know I have benefited greatly from insight meditation and the Buddhist perspective on many of life's greatest challenges, such as coping with the death of one's child.

You don't have to join up, be a card carrying Buddhist, etc. But you can take advantage of what this ancient discipline has to offer. I especially like the fact that nothing I have learned or heard in Buddhism conflicts in the least with the scientific rationalism I learned from my father.
  8. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 04:13
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    How on Earth could they be? The very idea makes me want to quote Ricky Gervais' catchphrase from the Extras: Is he having a laugh?
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 04:14
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    but he was a wonderful guy -- and think of all the people who would lose their authority if we accepted the idea that Jesus was just a man, like the Buddha, with some interesting ideas.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 07:30
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Depends which bits are wrong of course
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 07:36
    I don't believe that the question of if we are wrong is the right one to be asking.

What matter does it make if the existence of religion is false? The key factor to any religion is the way of life. If we put aside the fact that there is a God, and that Jesus is the Saviour of man, the ideas and thoughts that he puts forward are nonetheless still valid.

I don't think we should be worrying about if we got the message from God wrong, as much as simply living our life in a proper way. Even if Jesus wasn't the saviour, the ideaology that he put forward would, if everyone abided by it, create a much better society. If we look at it this way, then religion isn't the crucial factor, so much as living our life according to the morals that are placed forward.
  12. Break-twitching
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 07:52
    Originally posted by banx99
    I don't believe that the question of if we are wrong is the right one to be asking.

What matter does it make if the existence of religion is false? The key factor to any religion is the way of life. If we put aside the fact that there is a God, and that Jesus is the Saviour of man, the ideas and thoughts that he puts forward are nonetheless still valid.
    ...[text shortened]... crucial factor, so much as living our life according to the morals that are placed forward.
    Good statement.....I like it.
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '07
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 08:03
    Yay! Someone agrees with me
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 08:42
    Originally posted by banx99
    Yay! Someone agrees with me
    Yes, I agree also, up to a point. However although what you are saying is theoretically appealing, it is basically a form of humanism I think; I.E. the concept of godly virtues without God.

Christianity, (Jesus) teaches that “without me you can do nothing”, and that the purpose of spiritual regeneration is to enable the believer to experience a new spirit enabled life through the power of the spirit of god.

Currently on a macro level, there is precious little evidence of people leading this type of life and what organised churches there are, are often run by charlatans who bring the name of our God into disrepute.
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    05 Apr '09 19:58
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    I think some of it is, but some of it is just bulls**t.

Most religions have some good points, but I don't think there is one religion that got it all right.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree