You convinced me!
    Good; glad we cleared that up.
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:04
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    No.
    A troll (in this case) is a person who continually harps on an issue, constantly turning the phrase every which way, yet not as a means to get a better understanding, but rather as a way to then use that exact phrasing in a legalistic manner to support a charge of supposed moral inferiority.

It's been used by small minds for centuries.
    Perhaps you should look up the word troll.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:05
    No.
    A troll (in this case) is a person who continually harps on an issue, constantly turning the phrase every which way, yet not as a means to get a better understanding, but rather as a way to then use that exact phrasing in a legalistic manner to support a charge of supposed moral inferiority.

It's been used by small minds for centuries.
    Properknob has been known to go back years, his retrospective trolling memory is elephant status!
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:06
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I don't think sexually active women are "whores". So why should I use the word? You think it's the right word to use. Like I said, "sewage" is in the eye of the beholder.
    Not to mention that, technically, a whore does it for money. Although, pejoratively, it's applied to the merely promiscuous.

I prefer to keep my pejoratives a bit more accurate. 😛
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:06
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Properknob has been known to go back years, his retrospective trolling memory is elephant status!
    Yes, how dare they quote your own words back to you and expect you to own them! The bastards.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    But I don't think sexually active women are "whores". So why should I use the word? You think it's the right word to use. Like I said, "sewage" is in the eye of the beholder.
    I guess I just have a higher standard of what constitutes sexual purity than you do, huh.

I consider it my obligation to my children to get them safely through the pitfalls of their maturation years by instilling in them the sanctity of certain aspects in life: life, property, self-respect, etc.

In my view, sexual relations are meant to be shared with one person and one person only throughout their lives.
  7. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:09
    You better believe it!!!!
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:09
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Perhaps you should look up the word troll.
    From good ol' Wikipedia:
    a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Gosh: I nailed it!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:11
    Yes, how dare they quote your own words back to you and expect you to own them! The bastards.
    People change, their perspectives change, they live and learn from their mistakes, what someone said in 1994 under particular circumstances has no bearing on what they may say now under similar conditions. As Freaky points out the motivation is not to lend itself to understanding but simply to discredit an individual and look at it anyway you like, that's trolling.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:12
    [i]Originally posted by FreakyKBH[/b]
    I consider it my obligation to my children to get them safely through the pitfalls of their maturation years by instilling in them the sanctity of certain aspects in life: life, property, self-respect, etc.

I am exactly the same. So at least we have common ground.

In my view, sexual relations are meant to be shared with one person and one person only throughout their lives.

This is not my view although I am happy for anyone if this is how it works out for them. In my view, sexual relations are a matter for each individual once they pass into adulthood. If my children take any knocks finding their way in this world, and here I mean in matters of love and sex in particular, I will always be there for them.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:131 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    You better believe it!!!!
    People change, their perspectives change, they live and learn, what they said in the past may have little bearing on what they profess at present.

Ok i quit as I dont really know what this thread is about.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:15
    People change, their perspectives change, they live and learn from their mistakes, what someone said in 1994 under particular circumstances has no bearing on what they may say now under similar conditions.
    So how can you apply the concept "retrospective trolling" to a conversation in the forum only seven days ago. Are you seriously suggesting that I should have considered how FreakyKBH had lived his life and learned from his mistakes during those seven days?
  13. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:15
    So, if God says 'go rape someone' and another man says, 'don't do that! It's an atrocity!', we all know who you'll be listening to, right?

Please point out, yet again, that this is a ridiculous question. Yes, it is. It's ridiculous to put yourself in the position of following another's commands without using your own moral barometer to gauge their worth.
    It's ridiculous to put yourself in the position of following another's commands without using your own moral barometer to gauge their worth.
    No one ever said anything in contrast to this sentiment.

That being said, as a Christian, I am not informed by morality, nor do I live my life by the shifting standards thereof.
    The Christian has been called to a life much higher than inferior morals.

What was originally put forth was whether a Christian ought to listen to a secondary source claiming to be God which contradicts what is available in the Bible.
    That answer is a resounding 'no.'
    The Bible is our source for having the mind of Christ--- until such time as the Church Age comes to a close and we are once again in His presence.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:16
    People change, their perspectives change, they live and learn, what they said in the past may have little bearing on what they profess at present.
    Well what's stopping you from simply saying 'I have changed. I don't believe that anymore'?
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    01 Apr '14 15:19
    From good ol' Wikipedia:
    a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Gosh: I nailed it!
    Except for that nagging bit about on-topic discussion. The questions are on-topic, yet somehow 'trolling'. Also, I don't agree with wiki's 'accidental'. I think it must be intentional. Otherwise, everyone who gets upset in a discussion has been 'trolled' and the word's application has been broadened beyond usefulness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree