1. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 17:42
    Originally posted by Algernon
    Right. These are all symptoms which, in your thinking, you associate with an emotion you label 'anger.' Anger is a reference point created by our intelligence. So, for that matter, is 'I.'

This is not an argument that 'anger' is meaningless, or that it is bad to feel anger, or anything like that. Just pointing out its nature: the product of thinking.
    Okay.
  2. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 23:061 edit
    Great story and discussion.

It is as if we walk around with this Greek chorus in our heads, constantly crying "Hooray!!" or "Boo!!" as our immediate situation changes. This Greek chorus creates 'good,' 'bad,' 'lucky,' 'unfortunate,' 'auspicious,' and 'right' or 'wrong.' It is the product of thinking.

Even in the reasonable posts ...[text shortened]... ciousness.

A brief summation like that doesn't really do the subject justice; my apologies.
    I agree this is a great discussion,

How does doing what you feel is right (trusting on your natural instinct) involve thinking?
    Example: for some reason or maybe without one nature gave us all the same instinct that it is wrong to kill another human. To me it seems impossible to come to this conclusion using reason/thinking.
  3. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 23:32
    Originally posted by Halitose
    When I do something while I [b]feel angry? Is it also good?[/b]
    With "doing what you feel is right" I do not mean doing what you emotions tell you. I mean trusting on the basic values that every human has pre-programed in his brain.
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 23:49
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    How does doing what you feel is right (trusting on your natural instinct) involve thinking?
    Example: for some reason or maybe without one nature gave us all the same instinct that it is wrong to kill another human. To me it seems impossible to come to this conclusion using reason/thinking.
    Doing you feel is right involves checking your feelings - who does that? Zen talks about dropping that watcher. It's in the Heart Sutra: "In emptiness, no form, no feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness."

Any conclusion about killing, because it is a conclusion, involves checking one's thinking. What have we learned is the right thing to do, versus what I do when "I" am not acting.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 01:36
    Only God is good.

And only He knows what is Good and what is not.
  6. Colorado
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 02:04
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Only God is good.

That's probably true, but it is also important to not let that be an excuse to do anything.
  7. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 07:27
    Only God is good.

Then He's a thief and you must kill him.
  8. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 17:31
    Then He's a thief and you must kill him.
    Now you see, kids? This is why it's baaaaad to use LSD...
  9. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 18:04
    Originally posted by RatX
    Now you see, kids? This is why it's baaaaad to use LSD...
    Not bad, just unnecessary. LSD can't compare to what you see when you're really awake.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 20:00
    Only God is good.

First you tell us what is good, as though you know what you're talking about. Then you tell us you cannot know what is good because only God does. Do you know or don't you?
  11. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 20:111 edit
    Not bad, just unnecessary. LSD can't compare to what you see when you're really awake.
    Uh, huh... I rest my case.
  12. Joined
    06 Jul '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 20:24
    Originally posted by RatX
    Uh, huh... I rest my case.
    Intrigued?
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 20:44
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    First you tell us what is good, as though you know what you're talking about. Then you tell us you cannot know what is good because only God does. Do you know or don't you?
    Since I cannot know what is good, and God does, then logically I have to cling to His Word and do what He commands.
    The reason I posted the story, which is an old story(author unknown) is because man really doesn't know what is good for him.
    My theory is that if we had never had the bible, if there was no God, the world would be a worse mess than it is right now.
    If darkness is an absence of light, then this world would be a very dark place.
    So you see, without us Christians, you guys wouldn't have any fun...😉
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 20:46
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    With "doing what you feel is right" I do not mean doing what you emotions tell you. I mean trusting on the basic values that every human has pre-programed in his brain.
    Where do you suppose the "pre-programmed" values came from?
  15. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 21:32
    Where do you suppose the "pre-programmed" values came from?
    I dont know, your asking an answerless question.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree