What is Good?

What is Good?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
02 Oct 05

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Do you believe Satan is real?
I believe that by calling Satan real, you give him power. What is Satan if not the father of lies. Is a lie real?

L

Moves
03 Oct 05
1 edit

Originally posted by The Chess Express
It's also necessary to use good judgement. Killing people is not the idea. Empathy goes along way. When empathy is combined with ones conscience, it is not that difficult to do the right thing.

Relativism is useful if it is used to increase empathy. If it is used to understand how somebody else perceives something, then it is a good thing.

...[text shortened]... good or evil. Hitler acted in his own interest and so he was good, etc, than it is a bad thing.
What im saying is no relativism im saying there is no good or bad because there's no way to determine what is good or bad .

Am I wrong about this? Then how do you determine what is good and evil using reason?

TCE

Colorado

Moves
03 Oct 05

Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
What im saying is no relativism im saying there is no good or bad because there's no way to determine what is good or bad .

Am I wrong about this? Then how do you determine what is good and evil using reason?
Reason helps, but the intellect can not make sense out of an infinite number of possabilities when there is not of data. I think this is where you are getting bogged down. You're basically saying that because you don't know everything about a situation, there is no way to know what is right or wrong.

I don't think you truely believe this. If you did, it probably would not be possible for you to function in society. It is possible to come up with a dozen reasons why you should or should not rob a liquor store and still not be able to come to a reasonable conclusion. So why don't you? How can you tell? Probably because your conscience tells you not to. Maybe it's because you feel some empathy for the people inside.
Evil causes harm right? By robing a liquor store you would be causing harm.

Morals should be the foundation's by which we live our lives. Conscience and empathy are two of the highest forms of morals. Common sense is important to. If we use these things to guide our actions, like I said previously, it is not that difficult to do the right thing.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
03 Oct 05

I believe that by calling Satan real, you give him power. What is Satan if not the father of lies. Is a lie real?
No. I mean, do you believe he is a real entity? I don't mean evil acts, I mean a living spirit called Lucifer, satan, etc. who is actively doing evil?

TCE

Colorado

Moves
03 Oct 05

Originally posted by checkbaiter
No. I mean, do you believe he is a real entity? I don't mean evil acts, I mean a living spirit called Lucifer, satan, etc. who is actively doing evil?
I believe he is the entity who is behind temptation. I also believe that has as much power as we give him.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 05

I believe he is the entity who is behind temptation. I also believe that has as much power as we give him.
Alright. Who is we? Anyone? Christians?