1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 10:26
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Funny how the word love gets used and yet people do not agree upon its definition.
    There is not a single definition of this word😵
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 10:33
    Originally posted by @black-beetle
    There is not a single definition of this word😵
    So the word is meaningless.
  3. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 10:39
    It is not meaningless. It simply has many definitions. How did you conclude that a word with many definitions is meaningless? To define means to give meaning.
    😵
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 10:59
    It is not meaningless. It simply has many definitions. How did you conclude that a word with many definitions is meaningless? To define means to give meaning.
    😵
    I think he is right in a sense that if a word so many definitions than none of them mean
    anything to all, because some of those that don't hold with some. Means there is not an
    agreement upon the word's meaning, leaving it meaningless for all. No agreement upon
    the definition with many ways to define it, is just like having no definition.
  5. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 11:28
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    I think he is right in a sense that if a word so many definitions than none of them mean
    anything to all, because some of those that don't hold with some. Means there is not an
    agreement upon the word's meaning, leaving it meaningless for all. No agreement upon
    the definition with many ways to define it, is just like having no definition.
    His evaluation is false. It is quite common for a word to have many definitions; it is called polysemy (the coexistence of many possible meanings for a word or phrase). In fact, polysemy eases us to use a single word in many different contexts. For example, “love” as a term of the Christian theology has nothing to do with the word “love” we use in order to describe a sexual intercourse.

Our Eladar teaches math; I assume he knows that "Algebra is a branch of mathematics" and, also, knows that "The mathematics of physical chemistry is complicated". There, “mathematics” is a word with two definitions in two different contexts. Why Eladar is neither confused nor dead sure that “the word is meaningless” as regards the entry mathematics?
    😵
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 11:48
    For the Christian the word 'love' is supposed to have a very specific meaning which cannot be confused with another other. Love occurs when one demonstrates the ability to put aside the needs of self and focus on the needs of others. Thats all there is to it. Failure on the part of a person to demonstrate this kind of love excludes that person from the Kingdom of God [notwithstanding proclamations of faith, or of love with ones mouth which in the eyes of God is meaningless]. Conversely God welcomes all those who demonstrate this kind of selfless love

Jesus and all the Apostles gave many examples and illustrations of this from the parable of the Good Samaritan, to the Rich man and Lazarus to unambigious statements of this type:

If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,
    I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal.
    And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge;
    and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
    And if I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and if I give my body to be burned,
    but have not love, it profiteth me nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3 ASV)
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:14
    His evaluation is false. It is quite common for a word to have many definitions; it is called polysemy (the coexistence of many possible meanings for a word or phrase). In fact, polysemy eases us to use a single word in many different contexts. For example, “love” as a term of the Christian theology has nothing to do with the word “love” we use in orde ...[text shortened]... ther confused nor dead sure that “the word is meaningless” as regards the entry mathematics?
    😵
    English doesn't treat some words well and as such abuses them. Equating sex with love is an example, do that enough you lose sight of love.
  8. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:22
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    English doesn't treat some words well and as such abuses them. Equating sex with love is an example, do that enough you lose sight of love.
    Methinks when one falls into incorrect polysemous interpretations, one has to study harder😵
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:25
    Methinks when one falls into incorrect polysemous interpretations, one has to study harder😵
    Yes
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:27
    😵
    Well then it is meaningless to try to discuss between those with diffetent definitions.
  11. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:35
    Well then it is meaningless to try to discuss between those with diffetent definitions.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes not.

Here our apathist set no specific definition of love at the OP, so anything goes. We all know (oh well) the basic definitions of this entry, therefore each one plays according to one's volition😵
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 12:48
    Methinks it's a case of respect and compassion;
    😵
    That is more accurate than trying to say that loving equals liking them.
  13. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 13:05
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    The atheist cannot understand agape because they conflate it with eros.
    Which atheist do you have in mind?
  14. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 14:46
    Originally posted by @apathist
    I'm autistic and am used to trying to puzzle out what is apparently normal human stuff. Love is important and complicated, I figured that out by myself, thank you very much.

I don't know where to start. You've heard of 'love at first sight', but you know that is stupid. Lust at first sight maybe. But then again we love to lust, right?

Familiarity br ...[text shortened]... From teenage hot love to octogenarians married forever, from spaghetti to sunsets, wtf is love.
    Love is sacrifice putting others needs before your own which obviously is very difficult.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Sep '17 15:19
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    Love is sacrifice putting others needs before your own which obviously is very difficult.
    Sir, you are describing altruism, not love.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree