1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 16:30
    Originally posted by xpoferens
    Hi everyone,

Today is a busy day for me, but here is just a quick note.

You're right Conrau K, the Greek is in future tense.

During Paul's time and during the Apostolic era, these special gifts could be witnessed.

Upon the death of the last Apostle (John ?), and of the last living person to whom they had bestowed the gifts, these would be over ...[text shortened]... more on this later, but naturally, although disagreeing, I respect your positions.

Regards
    These gifts are still taking place here today too, unless you think what
    is going on today is something else. I do want to make one thing
    clear Jesus Christ and our relationship with God through Him is what
    is most important; the Giver, not the gifts is the most important part
    of this and any other discussion.
    Kelly
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 16:37
    Originally posted by ngeisler88
    Heres my answer to Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16 -

"Problem: Peter seems to be saying that those who responded hat to repent and be baptized before they could receive the Holy Spirit. But this is contrary to the teaching of Paul that baptism is not part of the Gospel (I Cor. 1:17) and that we are saved by faith alone (Rom. 4:4 and Eph. 2:8-9).

Solution: ...[text shortened]... a condition of salvation."

Thank you for your time xpoforens.
    Hey, kid. Is this your blog?

http://kamikazewatermelon.blogspot.com/2004/02/part-2a-of-my-story.html
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 20:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    No, the gifts that Paul spoke of as passing away in 1 Corinthians 13 have, indeed, expired. Even within that passage, Paul speaks of putting away childish things and becoming as a man. In another passage, Paul speaks of his inability to heal any longer.

All signposts of the gospels and the epistles point to the efficacy of the soon-to-be completed Scripture, which we have in our possession today.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Sep '06 22:35
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    No, the gifts that Paul spoke of as passing away in 1 Corinthians 13 have, indeed, expired. Even within that passage, Paul speaks of putting away childish things and becoming as a man. In another passage, Paul speaks of his inability to heal any longer.

All signposts of the gospels and the epistles point to the efficacy of the soon-to-be completed Scripture, which we have in our possession today.
    I disagree, and I want specific passages of scripture if you do not
    mind to make what you are asserting clear. Vague references within
    an entire chapter and simply saying Paul said some where else isn't
    much to work with.
    Kelly
  5. Lisbon
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 03:30
    Kelly
    Hi everyone,

KellyJay,

As in a previous post I stated that special gifts were over, and, since you questioned me about that, we started this conversation. I never said these gifts were more important than the Giver.

Regarding this subject, I surely believe in the power of prayer and faith, and I believe God listens to us and helps us with our problems, even health problems.

However, I believe the bible says these special gifts (Healing, ressurecting the dead, speaking foreign languages, prophesizing, etc.), are over.

I know you have read I Corinthians 13, but have you read in the book of Acts about the way these gifts were bestowed?

In Acts you will see that only after the laying of hands on certain people, they started having these special gifts.

Only the Apostles had these gifts, and they could bestow them to chosen disciples by laying their hands, however, these disciples could not bestow them to someone else.

Note: people in the household of Cornelius received directly the gift of speaking foreign languages, as an evidence to Peter and other disciples, that these gentiles were acceptable as Christians. This is unique.

Therefore, with the exception of Acts 2 and 10, where these gifts came directly from Heaven, the Apostles always had to lay their hands in order to give them.

So, when the last Apostle died, and the last disciple to whom these gifts were given died, these gifts ceased.

Could you please tell me (in your opinion ) what is going on today?

Take care.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 04:45
    Hi everyone,

KellyJay,

As in a previous post I stated that special gifts were over, and, since you questioned me about that, we started this conversation. I never said these gifts were more important than the Giver.

Regarding this subject, I surely believe in the power of prayer and faith, and I believe God listens to us and helps us with our prob ...[text shortened]... fts ceased.

Could you please tell me (in your opinion ) what is going on today?

Take care.
    I'll respond to this soon.
    Kelly
  7. Lisbon
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 04:59
    I'll respond to this soon.
    Kelly
    KellyJay,

Just another thing; some things in the Bible are not expressly or explicitly stated, however, that doesn't mean we cannot reach a conclusion about a subject.

I think I Corinthians 13 says these special gifts would eventually be over.

Anyway, if you don't agree with that, then there is comon sense and/or inference *, which is one of the ways we can understand what the Bible says.

* Inference is the act or process of deriving a conclusion based solely on what one already knows (according to Wikipedia).

If the bestowers (Apostles) and the ones having been bestowed these special Holy Spirit gifts (some disciples), all eventually died, then the conclusion is that these gifts are over.

Regards
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 05:241 edit
    KellyJay,

Just another thing; some things in the Bible are not expressly or explicitly stated, however, that doesn't mean we cannot reach a conclusion about a subject.

I think I Corinthians 13 says these special gifts would eventually be over.

Anyway, if you don't agree with that, then there is comon sense and/or inference *, which is one of the ...[text shortened]... disciples), all eventually died, then the conclusion is that these gifts are over.

Regards
    Actually, no man gave those gifts. I am writting something to address
    the points you brought up. Since this topic is going be scripturally
    based, I'm going to address those scriptures you used, and give you
    some others to dwell on.
    Kelly
    edit:
    I would ask that you give me the scriptures that you believe makes
    your points for you. It would even be helpful to quote them so we
    can just look at them here too.
  9. Lisbon
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 05:41
    Actually, no man gave those gifts. I am writting something to address
    the points you brought up. Since this topic is going be scripturally
    based, I'm going to address those scriptures you used, and give you
    some others to dwell on.
    Kelly
    edit:
    I would ask that you give me the scriptures that you believe makes
    your points for you. It would even be helpful to quote them so we
    can just look at them here too.
    No problem KellyJay,

I've read and studied the book of Acts, so I could tell you the passages, however, to speed up the process, I'll quote from an article, which has some of the relevant passages, ok?

This article talks about miracles, so if you want to have a look at it, you may find it in the following link:

http://www.christiancourier.com/articles/read/miracles

I'll be quoting here just a part of it.

Other than by Holy Spirit baptism, miraculous gifts could be conveyed only by an apostle of Christ. Note the evidence:

1. Philip, the evangelist (not an apostle), could perform miracles, but he could not pass that gift along to others. Accordingly, apostles, namely Peter and John, were sent to Samaria, where Philip had been preaching, so that the church there might be furnished with certain divine gifts (cf. Acts 8:5-6; 14-17).
    2. In connection with the foregoing circumstances, Simon the sorcerer “saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given” (Acts 8:18). He wanted to purchase that privilege for himself, but he was informed that he had neither part nor lot in that matter, i.e., the impartation of spiritual gifts.
    3. At Ephesus, Paul laid his hands on twelve converts and “they spake with tongues and prophesied” (Acts 19:6).
    4. There was an unruly element within the church at Corinth that denied Paul’s apostleship. Such, however, was a very illogical position, for that church possessed spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12-14), and they had received them from none other than Paul. The “signs of an apostle” had been wrought among them (2 Corinthians 12:12), so Paul forcefully could say:

“If to others I am not an apostle, yet at least I am to you; for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord” (1 Corinthians 9:2).

The Corinthian church (with its spiritual gifts) was, therefore a “seal” (divine documentation of Paul’s apostleship), and accordingly, indirect evidence that such gifts were received only from an apostle!
    5. Paul urged Timothy to “stir up the gift of God,” which, says he, “is in you through [dia—denoting the instrument or agency by means of which the gift was imparted (Arndt, p. 179)] the laying on of my hands” (2 Timothy 1:6).

Some argue that 1 Timothy 4:14 indicates that Timothy had received a spiritual gift from a certain “eldership,” which establishes a precedent for the reception of supernatural powers from a non-apostolic source. However, the passage does not suggest that.

Timothy had received a gift “by prophecy, with [meta] the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.” Meta simply denotes “attendant circumstances” and does not suggest that the gift came by the hands of the elders (Green, p. 207).

This verse asserts that Timothy had received a spiritual gift on the same general occasion when elders had laid hands upon the evangelist – doubtless to appoint him to some special mission. It does not affirm that the elders themselves imparted miracle-working ability to Timothy.

Since, therefore, there is no Holy Spirit baptism today; and further, since there are no apostles (or successors to them) in this age, it should be quite clear that men are not in possession of supernatural gifts of the Spirit in this post-apostolic era of the Christian dispensation.

End of Quote

Take care
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 14:10
    No problem KellyJay,

I've read and studied the book of Acts, so I could tell you the passages, however, to speed up the process, I'll quote from an article, which has some of the relevant passages, ok?

This article talks about miracles, so if you want to have a look at it, you may find it in the following link:

http://www.christiancourier.com/arti ...[text shortened]... in this post-apostolic era of the Christian dispensation.
    [/i]

End of Quote

Take care
    I want to give the proper passages which will take some time to
    gather and now I don't have a lot time. It may take me a little while
    more than likely I'll be able respond by the end of the week;
    however, to give you one piece of my point I'd point you to.

These are not gifts of men we are talking about, and if you look at
    the passage on tongues you will see that it is talking about divers
    or different types of tongues. When you spoke earlier you only spoke
    of the gift where everyone heard in their own lanuage, there are
    other types of tongues. It is the Spirit of God giving them, and God
    does it as God wills not man.
    Kelly

Bible Gateway
    1 Corinthians 12
    4There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.

7Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
  11. Lisbon
    Moves
    11 Sep '06 14:45
    I want to give the proper passages which will take some time to
    gather and now I don't have a lot time. It may take me a little while
    more than likely I'll be able respond by the end of the week;
    however, to give you one piece of my point I'd point you to.

These are not gifts of men we are talking about, and if you look at
    the passage on tongues you ...[text shortened]... re the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.
    No problem, take your time.

The Apostles laid their hands upon some disciples, but naturally it was the Holy Spirit that bestowed the gifts. They had no power of their own.

I'm sorry if I lead you to that conclusion.

I don't know why one should think about "other types of tongues", since what happened in Pentecost was that everyone heard in their own tongue (language).

Acts 2

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
    8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
    9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
    10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
    11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

In Acts, these tongues are languages; why should they mean something else in the letter to the Corinthians?

xpoferens
  12. Club 64
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 01:03
    Jesus does command you to be baptized, as an act of obedience, but you are right in that baptism cannot gain you salvation...

"And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.' ”
    -Matthew 28:18-20
  13. Lisbon
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 01:17
    Originally posted by Ironstar
    Jesus does command you to be baptized, as an act of obedience, but you are right in that baptism cannot gain you salvation...

"And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching ...[text shortened]... you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.' ”
    -Matthew 28:18-20
    Hi Ironstar,

Could you please give us your interpretation of the following passages regarding baptism?

Mark 16:16
    Acts 2:38
    I Peter 3:21

Regards
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 06:52
    No problem, take your time.

The Apostles laid their hands upon some disciples, but naturally it was the Holy Spirit that bestowed the gifts. They had no power of their own.

I'm sorry if I lead you to that conclusion.

I don't know why one should think about "other types of tongues", since what happened in Pentecost was that everyone heard in their ...[text shortened]... anguages; why should they mean something else in the letter to the Corinthians?

xpoferens
    I'd like to put together some scriptures to bring this out in fuller
    detail, but you are right it was not the Apostles' gifts it was and is the
    Holy Spirit, it is also the Spirit of God who leads and teaches us. Even
    the position of Apostle comes from God, so I do not see why you
    think there was a limited number of people who had this ability to
    pass along the gifts of the Holy Spirit, it is the Holy Spirit of God that
    does that.

The are several different types of tongues, you are speaking about
    one, not the others. Simply seeing one in Acts in one place does not
    limit the others from being real. I'll attempt to give you scripture to
    back this up shortly when I can string together some more time.
    Kelly
  15. Lisbon
    Moves
    12 Sep '06 07:13
    I'd like to put together some scriptures to bring this out in fuller
    detail, but you are right it was not the Apostles' gifts it was and is the
    Holy Spirit, it is also the Spirit of God who leads and teaches us. Even
    the position of Apostle comes from God, so I do not see why you
    think there was a limited number of people who had this ability to
    pass a ...[text shortened]... give you scripture to
    back this up shortly when I can string together some more time.
    Kelly
    Hi KellyJay,

Glad to "hear" from you again.

I said there was a limited number of people who had the ability to pass along these special gifts of the Holy Spirit, because that is what I can understand by reading (in the book of Acts) relevant passages regarding this subject.

In one of my previous posts, I quoted from an article that tried to explain how these gifts were given.

Sure it was the Holy Spirit that bestowed these gifts, but that was done after the Apostles had laid their hands.

Don't ask me why it happened this way. God knows.

Please read the episode of Simon the Magician (Acts 8:5-24).

I'll discuss it with you later.

Regarding the gift of tongues, I'll wait for the scriptures.

Take care.

xpoferens

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree