1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 07:31
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    "sin" is actually an old archery term meaning; missing the mark.
    is that its exclusive meaning or was the other guy right as well?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 07:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Here's a short article dealing with both issues:
    http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/site/comments/trespass_sin_debt/
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 07:45
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Here's a short article dealing with both issues:
    http://www.wordorigins.org/index.php/site/comments/trespass_sin_debt/
    Stop doing that-all of you. I DO NOT WANT REFERENCES TO OTHER SITES. i'm way more interested in what you have to say-even if it is taken from somewhere else. Sorry my head stays buried in the sand until you give me something of yourself
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 07:56
    Stop doing that-all of you. I DO NOT WANT REFERENCES TO OTHER SITES. i'm way more interested in what you have to say-even if it is taken from somewhere else. Sorry my head stays buried in the sand until you give me something of yourself
    Oh well, refer to what I said previously. The archery thing is a common misconception.
  5. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:08
    I am not sure. We may both be partly correct if thats possible 🙂 For what i said the word most commonly translated as "sin" in the new testament from the classical greek is "hamartia" meaning - to miss the mark or to miss the target.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:38
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    I am not sure. We may both be partly correct if thats possible 🙂 For what i said the word most commonly translated as "sin" in the new testament from the classical greek is "hamartia" meaning - to miss the mark or to miss the target.
    So 'sin' really means 'ham archer'?

Unless you're allergic to explanatory links as well, you can click on the one I provided to read about the hamartia thing.
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:44

Unless you're allergic to explanatory links as well, you can click on the one I provided to read about the hamartia thing.
    ham archer lol I did click on your link but couldnt navigate to the definition. I must be over tired, its 4:40 am here.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:48

maybe it wasn't written anywhere, and i don't know what links to provide, but do you have any comment on my origonal assertion that sin is 'God-eclipsing'?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 08:54
    maybe it wasn't written anywhere, and i don't know what links to provide, but do you have any comment on my origonal assertion that sin is 'God-eclipsing'?
    Is your metaphor derived from a solar or lunar eclipse?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 09:00
    Is your metaphor derived from a solar or lunar eclipse?
    no...its more like anything outside of 'God'.(more than 'God',or beyond 'god'😉. Yeah i know the language can get difficult in these aeres but i'm sure you can take away some meaning from it
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 May '09 09:11
    no...its more like anything outside of 'God'.(more than 'God',or beyond 'god'😉. Yeah i know the language can get difficult in these aeres but i'm sure you can take away some meaning from it
    In that case your metaphor simply doesn't work, since an eclipse is a natural phenomenon with definite connotations. For God to be capable of being eclipsed (perish the thought), God would have to be a celestial body -- sun, moon, planet, whatever you like -- whose emitted or reflected light can be partially or totally obliterated by another celestial body or its shadow.

God is identified with the sun (source of life) in many traditions, so the metaphor could work -- but what would be capable of eclipsing God?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 09:26
    In that case your metaphor simply doesn't work, since an eclipse is a natural phenomenon with definite connotations. For God to be capable of being eclipsed (perish the thought), God would have to be a celestial body -- sun, moon, planet, whatever you like -- whose emitted or reflected light can be partially or totally obliterated by another celestial ...[text shortened]... ) in many traditions, so the metaphor could work -- but what would be capable of eclipsing God?
    i'm trying to say that somehow we are outside of God. If you can't get your head around that i will drop it. I'm really not trying to preach here, although i do get a little passionate,please excuse me.
    (and yes i too perish the thought anything could eclipse God for he(it) is everything. But in the higher-dimensional,non-perishing sense our (true)identities are somewhat removed from our origional condition. that condition being united with God)
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    28 May '09 09:35
    i'm trying to say that somehow we are outside of God. If you can't get your head around that i will drop it. I'm really not trying to preach here, although i do get a little passionate,please excuse me.
    (and yes i too perish the thought anything could eclipse God for he(it) is everything. But in the higher-dimensional,non-perishing sense our (true) ...[text shortened]... ties are somewhat removed from our origional condition. that condition being united with God)
    in another sense it is 'God-eclipsing' to take authority from outside-other than as a guide . Those who are taking authority from outside, like the bible soley, are betraying their own inner-wisdom to the point of cutting themselves off from the divine
  14. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 May '09 23:43
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Sin is something relative.

What was a sin hundred years ago might not be a sin today. What is a sin today may not be a sin hundred years ago.
    What is a sin for some christians may very well be okay for other christians.
    What is a sin in one situation may very well not be a sin in another situation.

Conclusion - there cannot be any universal definition of 'sin'.
    Sin is defined by God and God has not changed so if it was a sin according to God 100 years ago then it still is.
  15. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 May '09 23:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You ask the wrong person here.

In my opinion, the original sin was invented by those wanting power over people. There is no original sin, nor sin in general.

Some says it's a sin to work on sundays (though preast are).
    Some says it's a sin to work on saturdays (though rabbis are).
    Some says it's a sin to work on fridays (though imams are).
    Concl ...[text shortened]... ng non-christian. If anyone is happier to think they are sinners, then please do. I'm not.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but everyone sins all the time. That is why everyone needs a Savior and that Savior is Jesus Christ. Jesus is the only name under heaven by which we might be saved.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree