@philokalia said
    Where are you getting that description?
    What description?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:27
    @philokalia said
    People who do not desire communion with God end up in hell.
    My neighbours' "desire for communion with God" is satisfied by Islam, their religion. There are Hindus living down my street, originally from Bali, whose "desire for communion with God" is satisfied by their religion too.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:28
    @philokalia said
    What is the moral goal of hell? There isn't one. It's the end itself.
    And what is that "end"?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:30
    @philokalia said
    What is the reason that hell exists? Because people send themselves there through their actions and desires (desire is a redundant word here because desires are actions).
    What is the reason that hell exists in this sense: who created it?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:34
    @philokalia said
    Where are you getting that description?

People who do not desire communion with God end up in hell. People who are baptized into the Church of God and repent of their sins are admitted into the Kingdom of God. The gray areas, I do not know about -- nobody really does.

What is the moral goal of hell? There isn't one. It's the end itself.

What is the [i]rea ...[text shortened]... of one's sins and seek communion of God.

At least, this is how I believe it is to be understood.
    Torturing, burning, inflicting pain, keeping a victim alive or not allowing him or her to become unconscious, overseeing the torment etc. these are all actions taken by the god figure in your ideology. How can such actions be taken while having no moral purpose?
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:39
    @fmf said
    Why would a creator being leave such a lack of proof of the veracity of Christianity in so far as only 1 in 3 people in the world subscribe to it - at best? There could be more convincing evidence and a more credible revelation and people would still have the free will to believe something else, surely?

How would a more convincing revelation that embraced more human beings and ...[text shortened]... Christian life - and gain from its communal and personal benefits - be an abrogation of "free will".
    (1) First of all, we know that those who never knew God will be appraised through a different means, and even among the Saints there are disagreements as to the means and how it will occur. This is an absolutely different topic with a lot of depth to it, but of course, it is relevant.

However, it is not relevant in the sense that it indicates far more than a third of people in the world are absolutely destined to hell.

It perhaps means rather something different. A third of the people possess knowledge and Christian context which they should be using to bring graces into the world to bless it, and the other two thirds are living in a different sort of context. As to what all that means, I do not know, but it is an incredibly YUUUGEE topic.

(2) Second of all, free will refers to our ability to choose repentance for our sins and a desire for communion with God, and our ability to deny the above.

It hinges largely on the notion that God is perhaps distant, doesn't it?

If God is a proven element that is present for all, the questions of repentance and communion with God for its own sake are thrown out the window....

And now you are talking about whether or not people simply will engage the transaction, right. Will they jump through hoop A to get result B?

That is not what is being tested, or wanted, in our existence.
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:49
    @fmf said
    Whether or not Jesus is there, in person, overseeing the torture of billions of people that you say has "no moral purpose" is not relevant to whether or not what you are describing - and claiming to be real and true - is coherent or credible? Are you sure?
    I don't actually understand the question.

If God is aware of hell (which He most certainly is), what difference would it make whether or not he was observant of it happening? Only the emotional coloring that you bring to this makes it seem persuasive one way or the other, and this is really just an extraneous point.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:491 edit
    @philokalia said
    People who do not desire communion with God end up in hell. People who are baptized into the Church of God and repent of their sins are admitted into the Kingdom of God.
    So, you chance upon a theory of supernatural causality and intervention that answers the 'big questions' for you, and then you subscribe to the ideology that people whose curiosity and spiritual dimension steers them to different answers to the 'big question' get subjected to a ludicrously violent punishment, after they die, and deservedly so.

Can there possibly be a more malignant and preposterous form of narcissism?
  9. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:50
    @fmf said
    This will be a relief to many non-believers, I think. So, your god figure didn't create "hell", and I haven't created "hell", so I clearly don't choose to go to it [and no one has created it], and your god figure doesn't send anyone there and he doesn't torture anyone. So I will die and that will be the end of that. Just as I thought.
    What is meant about it that it is uncreated is that it is not created by God, but created by circumstance.

Hell is created by the choice that one makes -- not to "let's build hell," but it is a byproduct of the choice to reject communion with God and the repentance for sins.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:51
    @philokalia said
    If God is aware of hell (which He most certainly is), what difference would it make whether or not he was observant of it happening?
    Why would Jesus oversee the administring of torture for eternity if it had no moral purpose? Does Jesus have a moral purpose in overseeing it?
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:51
    @fmf said
    What description?
    So, in torturing people who don't believe in Jesus in burning flames for eternity, your god figure has no moral purpose that you are aware of?

If I don't believe in eternal torture then obviously I cannot "choose" it. Does that mean it won't happen to me because there is no one to inflict it on me?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:53
    @philokalia said
    What is meant about it that it is uncreated is that it is not created by God, but created by circumstance.
    Explain. The supernatural burning and torturing process where humans are kept 'alive' to suffer is not created by your god figure? Who created it? What does it mean to claim it was "created by circumstance"?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:54
    @philokalia said
    So, in torturing people who don't believe in Jesus in burning flames for eternity, your god figure has no moral purpose that you are aware of?

If I don't believe in eternal torture then obviously I cannot "choose" it. Does that mean it won't happen to me because there is no one to inflict it on me?
    Which bit of what I said are you unable to understand?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:55
    @philokalia said
    Hell is created by the choice that one makes -- not to "let's build hell," but it is a byproduct of the choice to reject communion with God and the repentance for sins.
    I am not creating "Hell". I don't even believe such a place or state exists. So if I am not creating it, who is?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jul '19 07:56
    @philokalia said
    First of all, we know that those who never knew God will be appraised through a different means, and even among the Saints there are disagreements as to the means and how it will occur. This is an absolutely different topic with a lot of depth to it, but of course, it is relevant.
    I have never known God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree