What is the point of eternal suffering?

What is the point of eternal suffering?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
You seem to be suggesting that non-Christians that get tortured for eternity do so for their "ignorance or error" and deservedly so. You must surely, on some level, appreciate how that's an absurdly narcissistic a notion your ideology has furnished you with when talking to people with different beliefs from you?
I do not say that a characteristic of all non-Christians is damnation to hell, so you're mischaracterizing the argument, actually.

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
It might be actually quite transparently what people say it is: a warning.
What is the moral purpose of issuing a "warning" that is found to be not credible by two out of three humans? Is your god figure not supposed to be omniscient and loving and merciful and isn't it his "desire" for everyone to "come to Christ"?

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
Philokalia, you are not presenting anything coherent or believable enough for a thinking and interested non-believer to take seriously. Presumably, you have been indoctrinated to some degree and so find what you are saying to be reasonable, as happens with so many manmade ideologies.
I'm sorry to hear that you think that way but I do hope that it is good for thought for some people.

Also, it is not an ideology that I believe in. But it's OK. I understand definitions can be broad or narrow.

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
If you don't think it's credible, would you like to tell me why?
For the reasons I have been talking about for about three days on threads that you have been reading.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
Why do you think there is not one single jot of credible evidence that torment in burning flames for eternity is actually real?
Because it isn't happening yet? It's in the future. Maybe something like that.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
It'd also be narcissistic and malignantly so if it involved them believing it was somehow morally right for you to be subjected to a ludicrous form of unending violence after you die.
I'm confident that their theologies can be coherent and fine.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
What description?
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/what-is-the-point-of-eternal-suffering.181749/page-4#post_4069096

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
Oh, you think it's literal flames on literal flesh?
Are you going to pivot now?

I don't think you have been faring very well on this thread, and I think you might well know it.

Are you going to talk about "metaphors" suddenly?

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
What is the moral purpose of issuing a "warning" that is found to be not credible by two out of three humans? Is your god figure not supposed to be omniscient and loving and merciful and isn't it his "desire" for everyone to "come to Christ"?
I think that most people find it credible and that is reflected in their own religious heritages.

Others don't for whatever reason.

But I think that it's not as bad as you say it is.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
For the reasons I have been talking about for about three days on threads that you have been reading.
No text here to interact with, sorry.

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/spirituality/what-is-the-point-of-eternal-suffering.181749/page-4#post_4069096
Copy-paste it here. Is it the one that I said I wasn't interested in if it wasn't your own perspective?

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
No text here to interact with, sorry.
There are at least three days of texts to interact with.

S. Korea

Moves
17 Jul 19

@fmf said
Are you going to pivot now?

I don't think you have been faring very well on this thread, and I think you might well know it.

Are you going to talk about "metaphors" suddenly?
I'm surprised you'd think a religion that believes in immortal souls would think of the afterlife in purely carnal terms.

I'm curious as to why you'd think this is a pivot.

I'm all caught up with the thread and it's time to put it away.

Have a good night and God bless, I'll try to respond more later.

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
I think that most people find it credible and that is reflected in their own religious heritages.
Most people think they will be tortured for eternity for not believing in Jesus?

F

Moves
17 Jul 19

@philokalia said
I'm surprised you'd think a religion that believes in immortal souls would think of the afterlife in purely carnal terms.

I'm curious as to why you'd think this is a pivot.
Your version of the torturer god ideology seems to get really wishy-washy under scrutiny. This is probably a good thing.