What is your favorite Bible verse?

What is your favorite Bible verse?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
25 Nov 05

Matthew 5

Moves
25 Nov 05

Jeremiah 29:13 - And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by Darfius
20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Revelation 3:20
This verse is taken out of context more than almost any other verse in the Bible.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
This verse is taken out of context more than almost any other verse in the Bible.
What is your interpretation of it?

z

Tsandi

Moves
25 Nov 05

the joy of the lord is my strength

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by zombies
the joy of the lord is my strength
Mabey you know why Jesus wept?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Nov 05
3 edits

Originally posted by Nemesio
As per the RHP TOC, I publicly ask that you stop stalking me by repeatedly
soliciting private information about myself that I have neither have the desire
nor intention to give.

The question was favorite Bible verse(s). I've always liked that passage from
my youth. Others that I like had been posted.

LH is right: it never matters what denominatio ...[text shortened]... rse curiosity that you
continue to harrass me about it. I kindly ask you to desist.

Nemesio
Nemesio: "LH is right: it never matters what denomination I am when I engage in a
discussion about religion."

That's not what he said .... and I think it does matter, maybe not always but certainly a lot of times.

Nemesio: "As per the RHP TOC, I publicly ask that you stop stalking me by repeatedly
soliciting private information about myself"

Nemesio: " It's only from some sort of perverse curiosity that you
continue to harrass me about it."

Man, you dó have the ability to exaggerate and stretch things out of proportion.

.... a perverse curiosity ..... continue to harrass me

Really Nemesio ..... 🙄

...... but maybe you can tell us the reasons why you like these verses so much.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
25 Nov 05
1 edit

Micah 7:8

Rejoice not over me, O my enemy! though I have fallen, I will arise; though I sit in darkness, the LORD is my light.

Moves
25 Nov 05

Psalms 27:1 - The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
25 Nov 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
What is your interpretation of it?
I do not interpret it, I simply read it in the contaxt in which it appears. My hermeneutical principles call for no less.

I also note that the verse often gets quoted by missionaries at the denoument of the sales pitch. After acquainting the potential convert with the chasm separating him or her from God, the door is presented: "open the door and let Jesus into your life," the missionaries will say.

This verse appears in the midst of John's message to the church at Laodicea, a people characterized as "neither cold, nor hot." It was not a message to unbelievers in need of conversion. Employing it in "The Bridge to Life" and other pre-packaged conversion messages is another case of scripture twisting.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
25 Nov 05
1 edit

I do not interpret it, I simply read it in the contaxt in which it appears. My hermeneutical principles call for no less.

I also note that the verse often gets quoted by missionaries at the denoument of the sales pitch. After acquainting the potential convert with the chasm separating him or her from God, the door is presented: "open the door and let Jes ...[text shortened]... Life" and other pre-packaged conversion messages is another case of scripture twisting.
You do interpret it in your own way. You choose not to accept the full meaning of the passage because it was given to a church.

Jesus doesn’t specify believers only he says anyone. This is the context that it should be taken in. Not everybody who goes to a church is a believer, and Jesus was telling his audience that he is here for everyone.

Revelation 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
25 Nov 05

No I would say John 3:16 or These verses do.

Matthew 5:1-12
The Beatitudes
1Now when he saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2and he began to teach them saying:
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
10Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
25 Nov 05
1 edit

The one where the dude with the hippy hair is in the burning loins.

Or something....😳

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Nov 05

Micah 6:8 …And what does YHVH require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

w
your king.

H.Q.

Moves
26 Nov 05

I think sometimes the word 'with' is taken out and Jesus is replaced with ourselves.