1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 01:04
    A man of self-professed faith who consults God through prayer and worship to attend to the problems of the world and our nation. Here are a few things that passed through my mind today: The Dow dropped 200 points; execution squads running rampant in Iraq; economic fears and hardship caused by high energy cost; political corruption by lobbiests; the crisis of young black males; the ballooning prison population; healthcare for the poor.

Amidst all that I feel concern about, President Bush felt that today the biggest concern was gay marriage.
  2. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 01:14
    President Bush and the more conservative wing of the Republican Party are attempting to maintain control of Congress. Because of such things as Iraq, healthcare, and the economy, Republicans are not seen as performing so well in current and recent polling data.

Gay marriage and other social conservative issues are easy wedge issues for political campaigns. There will never be enough support to actually pass constitutional amendments concerning these platforms, but the issue itself gathers votes which might otherwise have gone untallied.

-JC
  3. Cosmos
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 05:39
    Originally posted by Churlant
    President Bush and the more conservative wing of the Republican Party are attempting to maintain control of Congress. Because of such things as Iraq, healthcare, and the economy, Republicans are not seen as performing so well in current and recent polling data.

Gay marriage and other social conservative issues are easy wedge issues for political campaign ...[text shortened]... platforms, but the issue itself gathers votes which might otherwise have gone untallied.

-JC
    correct....votes from the religious zealots in Southern North America.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 09:36
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    A man of self-professed faith who consults God through prayer and worship to attend to the problems of the world and our nation. Here are a few things that passed through my mind today: The Dow dropped 200 points; execution squads running rampant in Iraq; economic fears and hardship caused by high energy cost; political corruption by lobbiests; the cris ...[text shortened]... that I feel concern about, President Bush felt that today the biggest concern was gay marriage.
    But what do his statements say about democracy? He says that since the courts have allowed gay marriage, he must change the constitution to ban it. Surely in a democracy, if there is a minority opinion that does not harm the majority (or anyone for that matter) then it should be allowed not banned?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 09:38
    And why are religious people against gay marriage anyway? Surely it doesnt affect them at all? (Unless they are gay).
  6. RDU NC
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 12:34
    Originally posted by howardgee
    correct....votes from the religious zealots in Southern North America.
    your right. all those votes from southern north america like...

honduras, mexico, beliz, panama, and the like.

now if you meant southern u.s., then you may still be right. i don't know. i know my opinion. i believe in the bible, so that probably tells you what i would say, and i think i know what you'd say to that. your disdain for anyone different from you is quite clear.

but i don't think gay marriage is the most important platform to focus on today in the the u.s. or in the world. i don't think the war is. (it just so happens that i disagree with both) there is something far more fundementally wrong with this country than either of these issues. we all have ways of explaining what that might be. again i think what i believe to be true. and in case there is any question of where my loyalties lie...

i don't like g.w. but that is not a reason for me to forsake the preservation of the u.s. i care for the president. i don't wish him any harm. i just don't think he's as great a leader as many of us hoped he would be. but he is far better than the alternative (kerry). but i have a feeling that in 2 years we'll end up with edwards. as a n. carolinian, i could think of worse things.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 12:58
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    i believe in the bible, so that probably tells you what i would say, and i think i know what you'd say to that. your disdain for anyone different from you is quite clear.
    Surely your implication is that you do not approve of gay marriage. Doesnt that make it you who distains anyone different from yourself?
    I would have thought that the whole 'love your neighbour' teaching of the Bible would imply that Christians should approve of gay marriage.
  8. Standard memberChurlant
    Ego-Trip in Progress
    Phoenix, AZ
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 13:14
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And why are religious people against gay marriage anyway? Surely it doesnt affect them at all? (Unless they are gay).
    Biblical Infallibility.

Quite a few things seem to come back to this concept, actually.

-JC
  9. RDU NC
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 16:40
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Surely your implication is that you do not approve of gay marriage. Doesnt that make it you who distains anyone different from yourself?
    I would have thought that the whole 'love your neighbour' teaching of the Bible would imply that Christians should approve of gay marriage.
    no, based on the bible i do not approve of gay marriage, just like i do not approve of murder, nor do i approve of matricide, genicide, infanticide or any other -cide. i do approve of a lot of things. that does not mean that i have disdain for any who practice such things. i would venture to say that you would have disdain for one who commits rape and/or murder (using the common definition - not war or abortion or any other additional definition that one might add to it). i would like to think that i would not feel disdain for that person but only pity and a desire for justice to be done. that's the function of government, though, not me. loving my neighbor would examplified by me seeking the greatest joy for my neighbor (because that would give me the greatest joy). my belief structure and system declares that the greatest joy can only be found in God. is it not true that what we are all seeking, i mean way deep down and truly is happiness?
  10. Winston Salem NC USA
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 16:58
    I find it very disheartening that the people who love jesus and desire a better world for everyone (noble intentions indeed), have blindly put their faith and trust in gwb. I have to hand it to carl rove though, it was a stroke of genious to go after the christian vote because now all of these ignorant voters think that if they support W they are "fighting the good fight for God and all morality". US citizens but especially conservative christians are soooo gullable! They are being played like a fiddle. I hope they wake up soon.

Having said that . . . The democrats are just as bad!
  11. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:19
    Originally posted by laserclass
    I find it very disheartening that the people who love jesus and desire a better world for everyone (noble intentions indeed), have blindly put their faith and trust in gwb. I have to hand it to carl rove though, it was a stroke of genious to go after the christian vote because now all of these ignorant voters think that if they support W they are "fightin ...[text shortened]... e a fiddle. I hope they wake up soon.

Having said that . . . The democrats are just as bad!
    Any Christian who knows their Bible like they should isn't putting their faith in Mr. Bush or any other human. Sadly, I can't disagree with you about the gullible part...
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 17:392 edits
    Originally posted by masscat
    Any Christian who knows their Bible like they should isn't putting their faith in Mr. Bush or any other human. Sadly, I can't disagree with you about the gullible part...
    What you see here are Christians being stereotyped. I have seen it time and time again on RHP threads. Once they find out you are a Christian they then make a myriad of assumptions about you. Here are just a few example:
    1. THey think that you voted for and support W in every decision he makes. In fact, everything W does represents all of Christiandome. This is assuming that he is even the Christian he professes to be.
    2. They think we are 100% ignorant of science and asume that we debunk all or most evidence that supports evolution. This in turn, begins another assumption which is that we are irrational.
    3. THey then assume that every evil act done in the name of the Christian God represents his actions and that we support them. This includes sad historical accounts such as the Crusades, Salem Witch trials, Spanish Inquisitions ect.

If they really want to attaack us, they should attack who we profess to follow, namely Jesus Christ. Unfortunatly, they don't have much to go on here. Its much easier to pick on good ole W.

Side note: Just don't tell them if you are African American. They will think you eat watermelon.
  13. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    What you see here are Christians being stereotyped. I have seen it time and time again on RHP threads. Once they find out you are a Christian they then make a myriad of assumptions about you. Here are just a few example:
    1. THey think that you voted for and support W in every decision he makes. In fact, everything W does represents all of Christiandome. ...[text shortened]... note: Just don't tell them if you are African American. They will think you eat watermelon.
    No quiet runs for that unique snort at the end.
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:21
    1. THey think that you voted for and support W in every decision he makes. In fact, everything W does represents all of Christiandome. ...[text shortened]... note: Just don't tell them if you are African American. They will think you eat watermelon.
    Christians in America richly deserve the stereotype of being Bush supporters. A coworker had a christian radio station on, which advertised a national day of prayer with Bush. The cars with christian bumper stickers also have GWB bumper stickers.

All in all, your post is very whiny and retarded, with a needless racial slur to top it off.
  15. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:22
    [b]What you see here are Christians being stereotyped. I have seen it time and time again on RHP threads. Once they find out you are a Christian they then make a myriad of assumptions about you.
    That's becaue they are spiritually dead and cannot understand the things of God, and Jesus warned they won't like us very much because of His name. The only thing they will respond to is the Gospel (either for or against, but it is a response).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree