1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 18:25
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Christians in America richly deserve the stereotype of being Bush supporters. A coworker had a christian radio station on, which advertised a national day of prayer with Bush. The cars with christian bumper stickers also have GWB bumper stickers.

All in all, your post is very whiny and retarded, with a needless racial slur to top it off.
    I know what you mean. All I know is that all African Americans I know at work like watermelon.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 20:27
    Originally posted by whodey
    I know what you mean. All I know is that all African Americans I know at work like watermelon.
    Umm, weren't the evil stereotypers supposed to be the ones who would say that??
  3. London
    Moves
    06 Jun '06 22:30
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    A man of self-professed faith who consults God through prayer and worship to attend to the problems of the world and our nation. Here are a few things that passed through my mind today: The Dow dropped 200 points; execution squads running rampant in Iraq; economic fears and hardship caused by high energy cost; political corruption by lobbiests; the cris ...[text shortened]... that I feel concern about, President Bush felt that today the biggest concern was gay marriage.
    Considering he talks about Iraq every day of the week and gas prices every other day, I'd say the proportions work out.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 02:25
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Umm, weren't the evil stereotypers supposed to be the ones who would say that??
    I realize that this is a stereotype. I am using an absurd stereotype to make the point that he is stereotyping Christians in the same manner. His dealings with Christians has lead him to believe that all Christians think the same way about W. The thing of it is, is that it is politically correct to stereotype Christians. It is not politically correct to do so in terms of race. Both are equally offensive and rude, however.
  5. Cosmos
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 05:262 edits
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    your right. all those votes from southern north america like...

honduras, mexico, beliz, panama, and the like.

now if you meant southern u.s., then you may still be right. i don't know. i know my opinion. i believe in the bible, so that probably tells you what i would say, and i think i know what you'd say to that. your disdain for anyone different fro n 2 years we'll end up with edwards. as a n. carolinian, i could think of worse things.
    "your disdain for anyone different from you is quite clear."

You are incorrect to assert this. I do not have disdain for others simply because they are different from me. I am not racist, sexist or homophobic, for example.

I do however, despise imbeciles like you who hate homosexuals simply because the bible tells them to.

EDIT quote from you; "based on the bible i do not approve of gay marriage".
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 08:39
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    no, based on the bible i do not approve of gay marriage, just like i do not approve of murder, nor do i approve of matricide, genicide, infanticide or any other -cide.
    If there was a law banning muslim prayer would you agree with it? Of course based on the Bible you would not approve of people being muslim, but as long as thier practices do not directly harm you or others, you have no right to ban them, approval or not. I personally dont 'approve' of many Christian practices, but as long as they dont affect anyone other than those practicing them, I will not object and will cirtainly not aprove of a law banning them.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 08:43
    I come from a country (Zambia) whose former president used the Christian Churches to get votes. What I found amazing was how many people were willing to support him blindly just because he claimed to be Christian. What was even more amazing was to watch the various churches line up to recieve bribes and then fight over the money.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 10:47
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Considering he talks about Iraq every day of the week and gas prices every other day, I'd say the proportions work out.
    Do you think the concept of gay marriage is a threat to traditional marriage as we know it?
  9. London
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:14
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Do you think the concept of gay marriage is a threat to traditional marriage as we know it?
    Yes, I do. I don't think it's the biggest threat, or that it's independent of other attacks on marriage and traditional morality - but it is a threat nevertheless.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:20
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Yes, I do. I don't think it's the biggest threat, or that it's independent of other attacks on marriage and traditional morality - but it is a threat nevertheless.
    I'm curious as to why you should think that. Would you mind giving your reasons? (Not looking for an argument, promise).
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:38
    I don't understand why so many non-theists cling to the word marriage. Why not call a civil marriage something completely different and keep giving everyone the same rights under the law?

For the theists: If civil marriage was called civil union (or another name) would you still oppose a civil union between homossexuals?
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:471 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I don't understand why so many non-theists cling to the word marriage. Why not call a civil marriage something completely different and keep giving everyone the same rights under the law?

For the theists: If civil marriage was called civil union (or another name) would you still oppose a civil union between homossexuals?
    mar·riage
    n.

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
    The state of being married; wedlock.
    A common-law marriage.
    A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

Gay Christians might still want to be married.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 12:53
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    mar·riage
    n.

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
    The state of being married; wedlock.
    A common-law marriage.
    A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

Gay Christians might still want to be married.
    I know how it is used nowadays, that was not my point. Why insist on calling it marriage?

As for gay Christians, you have a point if you mean married by the church, but I don't see the RCC allowing it any time soon. I believe that the prohibition of gay civil "marriage" is a much bigger problem of civil rights.
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 13:05
    I know how it is used nowadays, that was not my point. Why insist on calling it marriage?

As for gay Christians, you have a point if you mean married by the church, but I don't see the RCC allowing it any time soon. I believe that the prohibition of gay civil "marriage" is a much bigger problem of civil rights.
    Not the RCC, no, but others might.

As to your point, I guess some gay person who insists on the use of the word "married" will have to answer it, although I suppose that the "union of souls" idea has something to do with it (a theist concept to be sure). For me, common-law marriage is a concept that is flexible enough to cover this case without too much fuss.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    07 Jun '06 13:07
    Since when did the word marriage mean 'Christain union'?
    It is used to refer to unions (usually in the legal sense) between two people whatever thier religion. Why not use the word?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree