1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    11 Aug '11 17:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Nobody claimed it was. You show your ignorance of the word by trying to differentiate the two.
    A theory is not 'only' a theory. It is also not 'less than a fact'. It is something else.
    But I wont bother going through all the different meanings of the word in various contexts, because you are not interested unless its "common sense terminology", but you will never know whether or not it is "common sense terminology" until you learn it.
    This is the definition I use for theory:

b: an unproved assumption : conjecture
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 01:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I know enough english and science to know a "theory" is not "fact".
    You have continually shown a very poor understanding of both English and Science so I do not think anyone will be concerned with your pseudo-definitions.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 02:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You have continually shown a very poor understanding of both English and Science so I do not think anyone will be concerned with your pseudo-definitions.
    I am referring to real science not pseudo-science done by lying atheists.
  4. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 02:302 edits
    I must disagree with Einstein if he said such a thing. I respect Einstein as
    a great scientist; but maybe you are misunderstanding him. We have plenty
    of space around us all the time and no one has ever proven that mass /
    gravity warps (stretches) space. THIS IS ONLY A THEORY LIKE THE THE
    THEORY OF EVOLUTION.
    No it was actually proven with observation. Gravity bending light. Mass having an effect on space it's self. This is why I struggle with fellow Christians. Christians (a lot of them will totally dismiss science because they say it's the devil or something just ridiculous) Example: Light and it's speed it is basically a law of the universe. Now we can argue who set up these laws but they are laws.

Massive objects like the sun earth or Black Holes create like a bowl or well in space.
    We orbit the sun and basically are trapped in its gravity well

Manny
  5. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 02:34
    http://wilstar.com/theories.htm
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 05:14
    This is the definition I use for theory:

b: an unproved assumption : conjecture
    Well that is not the meaning of the word in the context in which you used it. So you clearly do not know enough English to realize that you cannot correctly apply any meaning of a word to any context.
    You don't understand even basic language theory.
  7. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 05:532 edits
    Multi universes,
    world essemble hypothesis,
    baby universes,
    evolutionary cosmology,
    Hawking's bet,
    Dawkins' arguments against fine tuning and other New Atheism arguments

refuted by Dr. William Lane Craig:

YouTube&feature=related
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 05:532 edits
    I must disagree with Einstein if he said such a thing. I respect Einstein as
    a great scientist; but maybe you are misunderstanding him. We have plenty
    of space around us all the time and no one has ever proven that mass /
    gravity warps (stretches) space. THIS IS ONLY A THEORY LIKE THE THE
    THEORY OF EVOLUTION.
    Dude. We 100% HAVE to use Einsteins equations to account for the stretching and compressing of space and time in one very useful way: GPS satellites. If we didn't have Einsteins genius to guide us, the GPS system would be less accurate than a navigator at sea 200 years ago.

Mass warps space, mass going fast warps time. You ever hear of black holes? Einstein rings?

Do you know there is only one thing that deflects light in open space where there are no atoms to diffract light: Space itself. Space guides light. One of the key experiments that brought Einstein to prominence was finding out that space was being bent by the mass of the sun, so a light, say a laser beam, if it was brought close to the surface of the sun but skimming above it, the path that light takes takes a tiny left turn towards the sun. That same laser beam if it was a million miles away from the sun would have its path bent way less but still bent a bit. It is the stretching of space near big masses that bends light because BECAUSE of the stretching and compressing of space.

If you look at black holes you find space so bent there that even a light beam cannot escape.

You really need to get your head around modern concepts in physics. It it were not for this basic discovery of Einstein, the GPS system would be about 4 miles off, totally useless. It is the equations that Einstein worked out that allows us to correct for the bending of space and time that mass and high velocity brings on. The faster things go, the slower time goes. This is a direct result of the bending of space-time by mass. This is not theory. It can be measured directly in the way particles come in from outer space, when they are going very close to the speed of light, the time frame of the particles makes them last a lot longer than the exact same particle going say 1/10th the speed of light. Some of these particles blow up and transform into energy and other particles and the ones going slower blow up a lot faster and never make it to Earth. The ones going very close to c gets all the way to earth for one reason: the velocity slows time down for that particle and extends the distant it can travel before exploding so they actually make all the way to the surface. We have detectors in space and detectors on the ground, we can measure the difference in the lifetimes strictly based on the velocity. High velocity=longer life because time and space get warped. Low velocity, doesn't upset time or space so much so the natural lifespan of the particle causes it to explode a lot earlier.

That is only a couple of examples of the direct measurement of the bending of space and time. There are thousands of other examples I could talk about. Don't want to write a whole essay on the subject though. All you need to do is study the subject with an open mind, something I think you will have much difficulty doing.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 08:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Dude. We 100% HAVE to use Einsteins equations to account for the stretching and compressing of space and time in one very useful way: GPS satellites. If we didn't have Einsteins genius to guide us, the GPS system would be less accurate than a navigator at sea 200 years ago.

Mass warps space, mass going fast warps time. You ever hear of black holes? Eins ...[text shortened]... s study the subject with an open mind, something I think you will have much difficulty doing.
    I already know that empty space does not stretch, compress, or bend.
    There has to be something in the space like water or the atmosphere
    to cause what you think is warping or bending of space. Although
    Einstein's equations may be used with GPS satellites, it has nothing to
    do with stretching and compressing of empty space and time. You
    completely ignore what is in the space. Light will not deflect in empty
    space. There has to be some force acting on the light particles, like
    the gravitaional pull of another body, to cause the deflection of light.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 12:031 edit
    I already know that empty space does not stretch, compress, or bend.
    There has to be something in the space like water or the atmosphere
    to cause what you think is warping or bending of space. Although
    Einstein's equations may be used with GPS satellites, it has nothing to
    do with stretching and compressing of empty space and time. You
    completely igno ...[text shortened]... light particles, like
    the gravitaional pull of another body, to cause the deflection of light.
    Gravity IS the bend of space. That is why light deflects near the sun. Gravity is not a force, it is geometry. Space is like a collection of tiny springs all jammed together, a mass causes the springs to stretch out a bit, a mass like black holes causes space to stretch out so much light deflects into it but cannot get out again, totally trapped inside.

You realize the path of light bends when it gets near the sun and even say it must be gravitation that does it, which of course is exactly what does it.

Einstein proved that gravity is not a force but in fact the actual bending of space which also effects the flow of time. That is why they call it spacetime, the two are fundamentally linked.

I don't think you understand what I said about the particles lasting long enough to get to earth either.

You only understand that which you want to understand and just reject anything else that would undermine your misguided faith. You, sir, are one of the billions totally duped by the people who started your religion. You are in exactly the same category as Dasa.

Both of you suffer from cognitive dissonance. Look it up sometime, maybe a chink in your brainwashing will fall away.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Aug '11 13:592 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Gravity IS the bend of space. That is why light deflects near the sun. Gravity is not a force, it is geometry. Space is like a collection of tiny springs all jammed together, a mass causes the springs to stretch out a bit, a mass like black holes causes space to stretch out so much light deflects into it but cannot get out again, totally trapped inside.
    ...[text shortened]... m cognitive dissonance. Look it up sometime, maybe a chink in your brainwashing will fall away.
    Einstein did NOT proved that gravity is NOT a force. The bending of space
    has nothing to do with that apple falling from the tree. Newton was the
    expert on gravity, not Einstein. Space does not bend.

P.S. Where did you read all this nonsense.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    16 Aug '11 16:021 edit

==================================

============================

It is not nonsense RJ. Is this your conservative knee jerk reaction that the older days are always better ?

I neither champion the theory or admit to fully understanding it.
    But I have no reason to oppose it.

But I understand that Einstien said that space time is curved around mass. And that curvature of space time causes the effect of what we see as gravitational attraction.

It is not nonsense. And if anyone here claims that its simple explain, they are probably faking.

One friend I know who has the math skill to grasp Einstien, tells me that this particular theory only can be visualized in terms of mathematical equations.

Don't easily dismiss it as nonsense. And don't easily believe that people who claim to understand it really do all that well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree