what was so great about Jesus?

what was so great about Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
No man knows the truth on everything that could possibly occur.
Not even the men that make up your Watchtower Society. You
are ignorant if you think otherwise.
I never said we did. Did I? But the Bible makes it very clear that as time passed the light or truth or knowledge of the Bible would get clearer and clearer does it not????????????
But yet the Bible clearly says two things to seriously consider. The first is that "not all that calls on the name of the Lord would be saved" and "narrow is the gate that would lead to life".
So this would indicate that most would not know what the Bible teaches even at best. And it indicates that compared to ones who know about the Bible only a small portion of them would actually know the truth that would lead to life.
Does any of this make sense to you?????????????
If it does then think and simehow use common sense on this and realize that somehow somebody or some group of humans would eventually have it right.
Either you understand that fact or you don't. And I know you don't so I always know your responce to anything that could possibly help you learn.......

PS..Where is my answer about you and your stand on fighting for your country?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 11

Originally posted by galveston75
I never said we did. Did I? But the Bible makes it very clear that as time passed the light or truth or knowledge of the Bible would get clearer and clearer does it not????????????
But yet the Bible clearly says two things to seriously consider. The first is that "not all that calls on the name of the Lord would be saved" and "narrow is the gate that w ...[text shortened]... .......

PS..Where is my answer about you and your stand on fighting for your country?
Yes, If called upon to fight to defend my country, I would consider it
a duty, like paying my fair share of taxes to my government.

I know you never claimed to know everything about everything and
neither did the Bishop "Dude". But you seem to be holding that
against him.

You make the quote,
"not all that calls on the name of the Lord would be saved"
Perhaps this is because they use the wrong name when calling.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11

Yes, If called upon to fight to defend my country, I would consider it
a duty, like paying my fair share of taxes to my government.

I know you never claimed to know everything about everything and
neither did the Bishop "Dude". But you seem to be holding that
against him.

You make the quote,
"not all that calls on the name of the Lord would be saved"
Perhaps this is because they use the wrong name when calling.
So you would kill a fellow christian?

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
12 Oct 11
1 edit

Galv,

Wouldn't you kill a fellow Mormon, if that person were threatening the lives of you or your loved ones?

It's a little off subject I know, but, it puts you in an equally unfair position as you are putting RJ so it seems allowable.

I know that I for sure would kill anyone, Christian or otherwise, if the circumstances called for it.

And if the person is a true Christian, then ultimately all I'd be doing anyway is accelerating their trip home. 😉

edit

Can I call you "The Galvinator?" or, Galvmeister? I like 'em both! 🙄

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 11

So you would kill a fellow christian?
Are you trying to be like the Pharisees and trap me with your
questions?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sumydid
Galv,

Wouldn't you kill a fellow Mormon, if that person were threatening the lives of you or your loved ones?

It's a little off subject I know, but, it puts you in an equally unfair position as you are putting RJ so it seems allowable.

I know that I for sure would kill anyone, Christian or otherwise, if the circumstances called for it. me. 😉

edit

Can I call you "The Galvinator?" or, Galvmeister? I like 'em both! 🙄
Lol.. either name is cool with me.

We have discissed this here before and it is an emotional subject for sure. But first a Christian should always see what the Bible says on this subject and follow it's laws and principles. After all the word Christian basically means to be Christlike.
So what would Jesus do in any given situation and what did he say about this?

One thing Jesus did say is that "his Kingdom was no part of this world as so his followers were to be no part of this world" that night in the garden when he was arrested.
What did that mean? Why didn't he fight and why did he stop his diciples from fighting?
We also all know that Jesus taught us to love our neighbors as ourselves.
We also know that Jesus said that "the LOVE that would be among the Brothers" in the congregations would be the mark of his true followers.
We also know the Bible says "an eye for an eye" when it comes to justice but we also know that the scriptures say "that vengance is mine says the Lord."

So with this information what do we do about fighting for our country and if faced with protecting our family?

If Jesus said his Kingdom is not part of this world but yet we are to follow Jesus and be a subject in his Kingdom, should we get involved in the earths Kingdoms and pledge allegence to them and obey them when they tell us to fight?
Jesus himself said to pay Ceasars things to Ceaser but God's things to God. Does that mean to fight for Ceasar or the governments of today? Did Jesus or any of his followers fight for the local governments then?

And then the Bible gives examples and dire warnings what he thinks about killing another even if it were an accident or in self defence.
But like I said it is a emotional issue and one that a Christian should really know what the Bible says.
We are no longer under the Mosiac laws and not under this law anymore but it is a guidline to let us know God's view on this with the action of someone breaking into our home:
"The Law permitted self-defense but restricted an individual’s right to fight for his property. Bloodguilt came upon a person who, though catching a thief in the act of breaking into his home, killed the lawbreaker in the daytime. This was evidently because thievery did not carry the death penalty, and the thief could be identified and brought to justice. At night, however, it would be difficult to see what one was doing and to ascertain the intentions of an intruder. Therefore, the person killing an intruder in the dark was considered guiltless.—Ex 22:2, 3.

So with this insight on God's view and knowing that we could easliy become "blood guilty" in God's eyes, one would seriously need to be careful in any decision if faced with taking anothers life.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11

Are you trying to be like the Pharisees and trap me with your
questions?
Nope...just asking you a question?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 11

Lol.. either name is cool with me.

We have discissed this here before and it is an emotional subject for sure. But first a Christian should always see what the Bible says on this subject and follow it's laws and principles. After all the word Christian basically means to be Christlike.
So what would Jesus do in any given situation and what did he ...[text shortened]... eriously need to be careful in any decision if faced with taking anothers life.
In the future the world will be part of God's kingdom. The fact that it
is not part of the kingdom now does not negate the fact that Christians
must live in this word now. It also does not mean Christians can not
fight for what is right and just. Again Christ was speaking of a specific
situation that does not apply to our situation today. His goal was to
accomplish the will of God the Father and fighting did not contribute
to that goal. It will be a much different story when He returns to
fulfill the remainder of the will of God the Father by becoming the King
of kings and Lord of lords of this world.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11

In the future the world will be part of God's kingdom. The fact that it
is not part of the kingdom now does not negate the fact that Christians
must live in this word now. It also does not mean Christians can not
fight for what is right and just. Again Christ was speaking of a specific
situation that does not apply to our situation today. His goal wa ...[text shortened]... r of the will of God the Father by becoming the King
of kings and Lord of lords of this world.
Oh ok. Then it sounds like you decided differently then what Christ examples for us were and what the Bible says. Good luck then on your quest to follow your country first.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 11
1 edit

Oh ok. Then it sounds like you decided differently then what Christ examples for us were and what the Bible says. Good luck then on your quest to follow your country first.
Now are you saying citizens should not obey the legal laws established
by their representative government by not paying taxes due and not
answering to a draft notice to report for duty with the armed forces?
Where does God say you should not serve in the armed forces or perform
your duty of killing in war when necessary? I think I remember God
commanding a lot of killing during wars against Israels enemies. Have
you not read that part of the scriptures?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Oct 11

Now are you saying citizens should not obey the legal laws established
by their representative government by not paying taxes due and not
answering to a draft notice to report for duty with the armed forces?
Where does God say you should not serve in the armed forces or perform
your duty of killing in war when necessary? I think I remember God
commandi ...[text shortened]... of killing during wars against Israels enemies. Have
you not read that part of the scriptures?
What did Jesus say? If you can't use your perseptive reasoning on this then you would no doubt fall into the catagory that the Bible speaks of as babe's with knowledge, still on milk and not partaking of the meaty knowledge.
The answers are there but you have to grow in spiritual knowledge to understand them.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Oct 11

What did Jesus say? If you can't use your perseptive reasoning on this then you would no doubt fall into the catagory that the Bible speaks of as babe's with knowledge, still on milk and not partaking of the meaty knowledge.
The answers are there but you have to grow in spiritual knowledge to understand them.
So you are saying it is too advanced for me?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Oct 11

So you are saying it is too advanced for me?
Hummmmm...... That scripture is speaking of ones who know the basics but have not progressed past the simple things and it's usually because of old doctrines that hold them back.
I'm not being rude or tryng to put you down, but most are in your situation. That scripture is in the Bible for a reason and it's there to encourage ones to progress and learn the deeper things in the Bible that can't be seen on the surface.
This is where God helps us to understand and that only comes with a true heart felt desire to learn and get beyond the paganistic doctrines that hold most back.
And then this is where the scripture speaks of ones that are always searching but never coming to a complete understanding.
If there are ones like that then it would mean there are ones that have come to a complete understanding or that scripture would not make sense..

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Oct 11

Hummmmm...... That scripture is speaking of ones who know the basics but have not progressed past the simple things and it's usually because of old doctrines that hold them back.
I'm not being rude or tryng to put you down, but most are in your situation. That scripture is in the Bible for a reason and it's there to encourage ones to progress and learn ...[text shortened]... are ones that have come to a complete understanding or that scripture would not make sense..
Perhaps the "Trinity Doctrine" is one of those deeper truths that can't
be seen on the surface. Perhaps you just think you have come to a
complete understanding of the scriptures.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Oct 11

Perhaps the "Trinity Doctrine" is one of those deeper truths that can't
be seen on the surface. Perhaps you just think you have come to a
complete understanding of the scriptures.
No the trinity is crystal clear to us as to the origins and that none of the scriptures support it.
As I've said many times, not only were most JW's members of other religions but my Mom was born and raised a baptist and was taught the trinity every which way possible.
But once she decided to learn the truth of the trinity, as she never believed it was a truth but didn't know why, and studied what the Bible really teaches and did all the research with outside material and finally saw the origins and that it wasn't a Bible teaching.
So the oppisite happened and she now started to learn the deeper but clearer things of the Bible. All the questions were now being answered.
That can happen to you too. It's not too late.