What would identify a God backed religion?

What would identify a God backed religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

What would be the requirements of a religion to be approved by God and used by him?
What does the Bible say?

1) They base their teachings on the Bible. Jesus said: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality.” And also: “He that is from God listens to the sayings of God.” (John 7:16, 17; 8:47) Logically, to enjoy God’s backing, one must teach only what God reveals in his Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.—Isaiah 29:13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2:8.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

2) They use and publicize God’s name, Jehovah. Isaiah foretold: “In that day you will certainly say: ‘Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.’” (Isaiah 12:4, 5) Jesus taught his followers to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9) Therefore, whether Jew or non-Jew, Christians were to serve as “a people for [God’s] name.” (Acts 15:14) God is obviously pleased to back those who are proud to be “a people for his name.”

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

3) They reflect God’s joyful personality. As author of “good news,” Jehovah is “the happy God.” (1 Timothy 1:11) So how could his worshipers be unhappy or persistently pessimistic? Despite world distress and personal problems, true Christians maintain a joyful spirit because they regularly feast on rich spiritual food. Isaiah contrasts them with those practicing false religion: “This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said: ‘Look! My own servants will eat, but you yourselves will go hungry. Look! My own servants will drink, but you yourselves will go thirsty. Look! My own servants will rejoice, but you yourselves will suffer shame. Look! My own servants will cry out joyfully because of the good condition of the heart, but you yourselves will make outcries because of the pain of heart and you will howl because of sheer breakdown of spirit.’”—Isaiah 65:13, 14.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

4) They base their conduct and their decisions on Bible principles. “Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding,” the writer of Proverbs advises us, “in all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5, 6) God backs those who look to him for direction rather than to the contradictory theories of humans who ignore godly wisdom. To the extent that a person is willing to pattern his life after God’s Word, he will avoid having to learn by trial and error.—Psalm 119:33; 1 Corinthians 1:19-21.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

5) They are organized in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation. Jesus set out the principle: “Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for your Leader is one, the Christ. But the greatest one among you must be your minister.” (Matthew 23:8-11) A congregation of brothers precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity. (Job 32:21, 22) Those shepherding the flock of God are told to do so “not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.” (1 Peter 5:2, 3) Genuine Christian p. 15shepherds refrain from trying to make themselves masters over the faith of others. As fellow workers in God’s service, they simply strive to set a fine example.—2 Corinthians 1:24.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

6) They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutral. He who fails to be “in subjection to the superior authorities” cannot expect to have God’s backing. Why? Because “the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God.” (Romans 13:1, 2) However, Jesus recognized the possibility of a conflict of interests when he said: “Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.” (Mark 12:17) Those desiring to have God’s backing must “keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness,” while at the same time obeying the laws of the land that are compatible with their higher responsibilities to God. (Matthew 6:33; Acts 5:29) Jesus stressed neutrality when he said of his disciples: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” He later added: “My kingdom is no part of this world.”—John 17:16; 18:36.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

7) They are impartial in working “what is good toward all.” (Galatians 6:10) Christian love knows no partiality, accepting all people regardless of their skin color, economic or educational status, nationality, or language. The working of what is good toward all and especially toward those related to them in the faith helps to identify those having God’s backing. Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:35; Acts 10:34, 35.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

8) They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God’s will. Jesus forewarned his followers: “If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also; if they have observed my word, they will observe yours also.” (John 15:20; Matthew 5:11, 12; 2 Timothy 3:12) Those having God’s backing have always been unpopular, as was Noah, who condemned the world through his faith. (Hebrews 11:7) Today, those desiring God’s backing dare not water down God’s word or compromise godly principles so as to avoid persecution. As long as they faithfully serve God, they know that people will be “puzzled and go on speaking abusively” of them.—1 Peter 2:12; 3:16; 4:4.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Jun 13
1 edit

And a true God backed religion would also:

* Be honest and not twist or hide or deny their history
* Not presume to speak for God but let the bible be the sole source for truth
* Not make 100's of false statements and prophecies
* Not twist the scriptures to meet the founders doctrines and then change
them to meet the whims of the Board in New York city
* Not rewrite the bible with twisted translation to meet the weird doctrines
that are not biblical at all.

Manny

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by menace71
And a true God backed religion would also:

* Be honest and not twist or hide or deny their history
* Not presume to speak for God but let the bible be the sole source for truth
* Not make 100's of false statements and prophecies
* Not twist the scriptures to meet the founders doctrines and then change
them to meet the whims of the Board in New ...[text shortened]... ith twisted translation to meet the weird doctrines
that are not biblical at all.

Manny
Hummmm? Sounds like most every religion on the planet.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by galveston75
Hummmm? Sounds like most every religion on the planet.
Maybe now you see the problem.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
08 Jun 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Maybe now you see the problem.
Manny has a right to his opinion about any and all religions he wants. Does not mean he's right, partially right or even wrong, just his opinion as everyone here has his or her own opinions.
But he is pointing out his opinions on how he feels about the JW's which he is allowed too. Doesn't mean he's right.
Again these scriptures that are posted here are referrring to God's outlines for a religion and what they must do within the framework of the humans in it being imperfect.
God has never said or demanded his followers have to be perfect, never make any mistakes in their understanding of his words, or make a misjudgement.
He never expected that of any of his people but instead did in fact overlook most misjudgements they made.
So for Manny to judge the JW's as harshly as he does from time to time, is stepping ahead of God and being judge and jury and expecting perfection.
If he is looking for a religion or group of godly people that is "perfect" and never makes mistakes, he will never find it, and is in fact putting himself above God's love for humans and his willingness to forgive when they make mistakes within reason.
So these scriptures that describe what his people would be expected to do is serious, but their is no demand from God to always be perfect in their following these guidelines.
But what he does demand is to try to do all of them the best we can.
Most religions do some token works and follow a few of these. But do ignor many such as "being no part of the world".
One poster says he does not understand this statement and see's no need in even trying. "Don't worry about the details" he says.
A strong example of how many do feel and react when confronted with God's commands about our "doing his will".
They just can't do them all....

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Jun 13
1 edit

You know G-Man my biggest issues with the J-Dubs is there acting as if they are the only voice of God in the world. I will acknowledge that your religion may do good in the world and I guess they should be commended for that. However on the flipside your organization is treacherous in many ways. YES We can mention the Roman Catholic Church but this thread is about how do we know if a religion is backed by god? Your question is not so much a question but a launch pad for you to tell us why the J-Dubs are backed by God and no other group can be.

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Jun 13

SO what do you want or expect to receive from people by asking this question?

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
08 Jun 13

BY the way I never once mentioned the J-Dubs in my answer yet you assumed immediately that I was speaking of your organization.

Manny