1. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 16:42
    I think if we looked as wars around Europe in recent history, most of them involve either communism vs democracy, or Christianity vs Islam. What do you attribute the peace to in the more peaceful countries of Europe? Democracy? Nukes? The EU?
  2. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:18
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"What would the world look like if all people were atheists?"

"I am interested in how atheists would see the world if there was no mention of any God or gods? Would it be possible? Is it your opinion the world would be a better place? If so, in what way? What would you speak against then? Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of ...[text shortened]... I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow." http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9514[/b]
    Sodom and G. Not much left.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:33
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Sodom and G. Not much left.
    You've obviously never been to Sweden.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You've obviously never been to Sweden.
    not physically. If only you could see the world spiritually
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 17:48
    You've been to Sweden spiritually? Was it like Sodom and G.?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 19:37
    Lets try and come up with a way to estimate it. Suppose we count how many countries have had wars in the last 50 years and how many haven't we would know what the average 'war rate' was. Could we then conclude that any country bellow the average number of wars is doing something right that is preventing wars? Or are wars totally random and without cause or prevention?
    No, I have a better idea. Why don't you just tell me how many wars YOU think Sweden has prevented?
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 19:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, I have a better idea. Why don't you just tell me how many wars YOU think Sweden has prevented?
    I already posted:
    I actually have no idea how many wars Sweden has prevented.

You are the one who claims to know something - even to the point of claiming that I 'live a pipe dream' for not knowing. Why are you suddenly so reluctant to share your views?
    I have twice in this thread admitted being wrong: now its your turn. 🙂
  8. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 20:17
    You've been to Sweden spiritually? Was it like Sodom and G.?
    No, but there is another type of darkness there. Similar to the darkness in New York city
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 21:15
    That kind of thinking (casting Sweden as a spiritual Sodom and G.) will certainly give the threat of religion a concrete form.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Feb '14 21:46

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 06:58
    I already posted:
    I actually have no idea how many wars Sweden has prevented.

You are the one who claims to know something - even to the point of claiming that I 'live a pipe dream' for not knowing. Why are you suddenly so reluctant to share your views?
    I have twice in this thread admitted being wrong: now its your turn. 🙂
    Except I'm not wrong. Societies that keep their 'enlightened governmental views' to themselves really aren't doing anyone else any favors. That pretty much makes them useless to everyone else on the globe except themselves.

You can't have a Utopia when the nation right next door is starving. Or polluting themselves into extinction. Or fighting wars that deplete the next generation of young men.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 07:08
    No, but there is another type of darkness there. Similar to the darkness in New York city
    You don't need to beat around the bush here. We're all adults, so just spit it out. I'll wait for you to actually say what I think you're implying before I write you off as another fundamentalist nutjob.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 07:13
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It doesn't mean they've 'prevented' any wars either. Look at Switzerland. They've been neutral a long, long time, yet that sure as hell didn't stop either of two World Wars to rage on all around them.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 07:39
    [b]Except I'm not wrong. Societies that keep their 'enlightened governmental views' to themselves really aren't doing anyone else any favors. That pretty much makes them useless to everyone else on the globe except themselves./b]
    But what you initially said was that they were useless. Only after being challenged have you added conditions including the qualification that you are talking about the rest of the world, and the unfounded claim that they are keeping it to themselves.

You can't have a Utopia when the nation right next door is starving. Or polluting themselves into extinction. Or fighting wars that deplete the next generation of young men.
    Now you have changed your argument. You initially said a perfect society was 'pretty useless' (given those conditions), now you say it cannot exist. Make up your mind.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Feb '14 07:411 edit
    Except I'm not wrong.
    Then answer my questions. And the post I was referring to when I said you should admit being wrong, was the one in which you claim to know that Sweden has prevented zero wars. Interesting how your defense is to address a completely different issue.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree