When Was the Exodus?

When Was the Exodus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
The way that verse is used is to count backward in time from the date of Solomon's reign. Wikipedia says, "The conventional dates of Solomon's reign are circa 970 to 931 BC." If that is correct then adding 480 years to 966 B.C. gives 1446 B.C. as the date of the Exodus. Nebuchadnezzar conquered Egypt and destroyed Jerusalem and Solomon's temple in either 587 or 586 B.C.
Good point. I'll have to think about this.

Maybe they weren't enslaved very long before the Exodus...

F

Moves
19 Jun 14

The way that verse is used is to count backward in time from the date of Solomon's reign. Wikipedia says, "The conventional dates of Solomon's reign are circa 970 to 931 BC." If that is correct then adding 480 years to 966 B.C. gives 1446 B.C. as the date of the Exodus. Nebuchadnezzar conquered Egypt and destroyed Jerusalem and Solomon's temple in either 587 or 586 B.C.
Let me point out that you now believe in wikipedia as being a trustworthy source.

Or is it only like this that wiki happens to agree to your religous opinions in this particular case? You've found your cherry and picked it?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Let me point out that you now believe in wikipedia as being a trustworthy source.

Or is it only like this that wiki happens to agree to your religous opinions in this particular case? You've found your cherry and picked it?
The people who write the Wikipedia articles can be right and they can be wrong just like you and me. So all of us can be deceived, if we are not discriminating in what we pick and choose.

My superior knowledge on the Holy Bible, compared to you, makes my task of discriminating easier, so that I am more likely to pick and choose the more correct information. I am not saying that I can not make a mistake in this case, but it is less likely than if you were to do the picking and choosing.

F

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

The people who write the Wikipedia articles can be right and they can be wrong just like you and me. So all of us can be deceived, if we are not discriminating in what we pick and choose.

My superior knowledge on the Holy Bible, compared to you, makes my task of discriminating easier, so that I am more likely to pick and choose the more correct informati ...[text shortened]... e a mistake in this case, but it is less likely than if you were to do the picking and choosing.
So when it happens that wiki agrees with you (sometimes), you think theya re right and use it as a proof, right? And when they happens to contradict you (most often), you dismiss wiki as being lieful and decieving, right?

The same goes for youtube. You use them as a proof when it suits you, and dismiss it otherwise. Like any other cherrypicking you do.

Then what is your proofs worth?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

So when it happens that wiki agrees with you (sometimes), you think theya re right and use it as a proof, right? And when they happens to contradict you (most often), you dismiss wiki as being lieful and decieving, right?

The same goes for youtube. You use them as a proof when it suits you, and dismiss it otherwise. Like any other cherrypicking you do.

Then what is your proofs worth?
About two cents.

F

Moves
19 Jun 14

About two cents.
Yes exactly, nothing more. Glad you are aware of it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

The opinions of others that have put much study into this is that the date of the exodus was about 1446 B.C. when Israel left Egypt and about 1406 B.C. when they crossed the Jordan into the promised land. (See 1 Kings 6:1; Judges 11:26; Acts 13:19).

Bishop Ussher puts the Exodus about 1491 B.C. That is a 45 year difference. That would make the new date for the creation of the world about the year 3959 B.C. instead of 4004 B.C. That means we have not reached 6,000 years of human history yet.

F

Moves
19 Jun 14

The opinions of others...
Yes, the opinions... (*yawn*)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

Yes, the opinions... (*yawn*)
Opinions and speculation is all you so-called scientists do when it comes to evolution and dating rocks, fossils, the date of the earth, and the universe. So why can't others have opinions and speculations, especially when they have PHDs?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
19 Jun 14

I'm a little wary of that 480 figure. They were in the desert for 40 years and there were 12 tribes, and 40*12 = 480. Also cause of death for most of the dynasty was diagnosed as familial temporal epilepsy, although his (Thutmose IV's) elder brother died when during their father's reign (Amenhotep II) so maybe Amenhotep. The disease is associated with intense religiosity and visions, which fits with the Joseph story.

P

Moves
19 Jun 14

Maybe the reason the Exodus is so difficult to date is because it didn't happen (at least nothing like the exodus that the bible describes). There seems to be little in the way of archaeological evidence to support either the idea of a couple million Jewish slaves in ancient Egypt or the idea that a couple million Jews wandered the Sinai desert for decades.

Besides the lack of evidence, it seems implausible that the Sinai desert could support anywhere near this many people for that long, or that a group this huge could effectively move around (even modern armies don't move around in groups even close to that size).

For an event this large, the primary dating technique should be archaeology, not historical analysis. If we are assuming a much smaller event, then perhaps we can use historical analysis to try to find a plausible time period, but not for an event of the enormous size of the Exodus in the bible.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by PatNovak
Maybe the reason the Exodus is so difficult to date is because it didn't happen (at least nothing like the exodus that the bible describes). There seems to be little in the way of archaeological evidence to support either the idea of a couple million Jewish slaves in ancient Egypt or the idea that a couple million Jews wandered the Sinai desert for decades. ...[text shortened]... d a plausible time period, but not for an event of the enormous size of the Exodus in the bible.
Archaeological Proof

P

Moves
19 Jun 14

Archaeological Proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwnrjU67Dag
Sorry RJ. I am not one that normally restricts information to peer reviewed sites, but your record is so abysmal on providing links, that I won't follow any links from you from now on unless they are peer reviewed.

If you wish to make a point and provide a link as corroboration, that is fine, but otherwise don't bother linking to anything in reply to my posts.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by DeepThought
I'm a little wary of that 480 figure. They were in the desert for 40 years and there were 12 tribes, and 40*12 = 480. Also cause of death for most of the dynasty was diagnosed as familial temporal epilepsy, although his (Thutmose IV's) elder brother died when during their father's reign (Amenhotep II) so maybe Amenhotep. The disease is associated with intense religiosity and visions, which fits with the Joseph story.
It could be any of the Pharaohs for all I care. I am only interested in the date of the exodus according to the Holy Bible. Was Bishop Ussher's calculations right or could there be more years to go before we reach 6,000 years of human history? According to the Jews there is about 225 years more to go, but they admit not counting certain times.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Jun 14

Originally posted by PatNovak
Sorry RJ. I am not one that normally restricts information to peer reviewed sites, but your record is so abysmal on providing links, that I won't follow any links from you from now on unless they are peer reviewed.

If you wish to make a point and provide a link as corroboration, that is fine, but otherwise don't bother linking to anything in reply to my posts.
Go to the Science Forum if you want peer review material. Those in the past could not find anything for several reasons. One was that the dummies were looking in the wrong place.