1. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    12 Nov '10 22:31
    Matthew 24:3-21 (New International Version)

    3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

    4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

    9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

    15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’[a] spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again.

    Even though this had a minor fulfilment with Jerusalem, where are we now in realtion to a major fulfilment?
  2. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 02:26
    Any thoughts..anyone?
  3. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    13 Nov '10 03:481 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Any thoughts..anyone?
    I've always taken this sermon/message as a more general thing than relating to a specific era or set of events. The circumstances called for is essentially all in the eye of the beholder- there's always wars (and rumors, and the both of these probably multiply with our rise of mass communication/media), always people being cold and deceitful to each other, people pulling on religious incentives to spread lies, etc. It's just a fact of human nature.

    Christ was very motive oriented, focusing a lot on the way we conduct our interactions amongst each other. A social, people's person. Basically telling the disciples that when things are going sour and grim, doesn't mean it's a time to disband your faith, it's a true test of your character. He was telling them to always hold on tight- it takes every step to make the entire walk, and the fulfillment is our continual progression.
  4. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 04:03
    Originally posted by ua41
    I've always taken this sermon/message as a more general thing than relating to a specific era or set of events. The circumstances called for is essentially all in the eye of the beholder- there's always wars (and rumors, and the both of these probably multiply with our rise of mass communication/media), always people being cold and deceitful to each other, peop ...[text shortened]... kes every step to make the entire walk, and the fulfillment is our continual progression.
    Thanks for your input...and your correct we must keep up and hold on tight to our faith.
    But with the minor fulfillment which was with the destruction of Jeresalem in 70CE it was a real thing and a drastic one at that. So since that was a real event then it would seem that the larger fulfillment would be real too.
  5. Standard memberua41
    Sharp Edge
    Dulling my blade
    Joined
    11 Dec '09
    Moves
    14434
    13 Nov '10 04:08
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Thanks for your input...and your correct we must keep up and hold on tight to our faith.
    But with the minor fulfillment which was with the destruction of Jeresalem in 70CE it was a real thing and a drastic one at that. So since that was a real event then it would seem that the larger fulfillment would be real too.
    Ah yes, for this I shall sidestep and let others participate so as not to stray from the specific topic 😀. My viewings on "end of age" are more an observation of multiple peoples' and systems' thoughts/ideals and the similarities drawn between them.
  6. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 04:11
    Originally posted by ua41
    Ah yes, for this I shall sidestep and let others participate so as not to stray from the specific topic 😀. My viewings on "end of age" are more an observation of multiple peoples' and systems' thoughts/ideals and the similarities drawn between them.
    OK..Thanks.
  7. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 16:17
    Hummm.....It would seem that with the times we live in and with the importance of bible prophecy affecting us, there would be more concern or at least some interest in this set of scriptures.
  8. Wat?
    Joined
    16 Aug '05
    Moves
    76863
    13 Nov '10 16:57
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Hummm.....It would seem that with the times we live in and with the importance of bible prophecy affecting us, there would be more concern or at least some interest in this set of scriptures.
    Assumed bible prophecy affecting you, on your part in your life.

    You assume 'us' is everybody? Do you?
  9. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    13 Nov '10 17:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Matthew 24:3-21 (New International Version)

    3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

    4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am ...[text shortened]... this had a minor fulfilment with Jerusalem, where are we now in realtion to a major fulfilment?
    When I was a little kid I used to play with blocks. I'd carefully craft cities, villages, space stations, whole microcosms representing my perception of the world. These scenes of life housed a teaming jumble of people, animals, cars and buildings. There was some poetry and peace in building these increasingly complex, but, ultimately delicate scenes. Sometimes they'd fall down or, more often, get demolished by a rampaging creature of chaos.

    Sometimes life crumbles around us. Sometimes things happen because we fundamentally live in a fragile basic of eggs. We cling to a thin shell of mud and water encasing a molten rock core hurtling through space. Things are going to end badly for us. Humanity will eventually pass from this world. If for no other reason, God will not care as the game is to build something new and different. So it is and so shall it be.
  10. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 17:27
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Assumed bible prophecy affecting you, on your part in your life.

    You assume 'us' is everybody? Do you?
    Yes I do because we all live on this earth and the complete earth will be affected by these prophicies wether we all believe in the Bible or not..
  11. Standard memberHand of Hecate
    Merciless Vagabond
    Deep in it.
    Joined
    08 Feb '05
    Moves
    14614
    13 Nov '10 17:59
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Yes I do because we all live on this earth and the complete earth will be affected by these prophicies wether we all believe in the Bible or not..
    SNAFU!

    If I told you that I'd found the secret of life carved into coconut shells by ancient Polynesians you'd think I was nuts. This is no different than the ramblings of crazed sheep herders and fishermen scrawled in the bible. Try to take an objective view of the world for a change. Look around without your God glasses on and try to get a grip on reality.
  12. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    13 Nov '10 18:11
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    SNAFU!

    If I told you that I'd found the secret of life carved into coconut shells by ancient Polynesians you'd think I was nuts. This is no different than the ramblings of crazed sheep herders and fishermen scrawled in the bible. Try to take an objective view of the world for a change. Look around without your God glasses on and try to get a grip on reality.
    We'll see.....
  13. Subscriberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Joined
    01 Sep '06
    Moves
    56453
    14 Nov '10 12:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Matthew 24:3-21 (New International Version)

    3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

    4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am ...[text shortened]... this had a minor fulfilment with Jerusalem, where are we now in realtion to a major fulfilment?
    worrying or even joyfully anticipating the end of days is an insult to the gift God gave you of today. Its like saying today doesn't matter, the world doesn't matter, what matters is some unkown day in the future that keeps me preoccupied. live for today, let God worry about tommorrow.

    Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    14 Nov '10 12:11
    Originally posted by duecer
    worrying or even joyfully anticipating the end of days is an insult to the gift God gave you of today. Its like saying today doesn't matter, the world doesn't matter, what matters is some unkown day in the future that keeps me preoccupied. live for today, let God worry about tommorrow.

    Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all ...[text shortened]... about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
    Rec'd.
  15. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    14 Nov '10 14:191 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    worrying or even joyfully anticipating the end of days is an insult to the gift God gave you of today. Its like saying today doesn't matter, the world doesn't matter, what matters is some unkown day in the future that keeps me preoccupied. live for today, let God worry about tommorrow.

    Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all ...[text shortened]... about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
    Sounds like a bad case of burrying your head in the sand here. So these words by Jesus mean nothing and we are to go about with our day to day life and just let God worry about the future? For real?

    Luke 17:26-30 (New International Version)

    26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.
    28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.
    30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed.

    It would seem and it's sad, that something or someone has made this a common misconception among most religions. " Don't worry about anything. All you have to do is go to church and put your money in the collection plate, say you believe in Jesus and your saved..No worry's at all."

    1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 (New International Version)

    1 Thessalonians 5
    The Day of the Lord
    1 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.
    4 But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. 5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. 8 But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. 9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. 10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

    These scriptures are in the Bible for a reason and it's not just to tell us about the future but it's telling us to prepare and make sure of our standings with God and that we are doing all we we're instructed by Jesus to do.

    So how exactly is this an insult to God as these and many more warnings are in his word and written to us?
    Should Noah not have taken his future seriously?
Back to Top