1. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 18:30
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You mean you haven't seen it?
    Nope. You're really not pulling my leg are you?
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 18:32
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Nope. You're really not pulling my leg are you?
    The scene where Moses in the Mitsubishi Zero bombs the Midianites with lumps of stale mannah is a classic...
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 18:39
    The scene where Moses in the Mitsubishi Zero bombs the Midianites with lumps of stale mannah is a classic...
    An Aichi D3A Val would have been a better plane for mannah bombing.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 18:45
    Originally posted by rwingett
    An Aichi D3A Val would have been a better plane for mannah bombing.
    --(young Israelite, born in Canaan) Why d'you still eat that nasty old crap you find in the desert, pa?
    --(grizzled desert veteran) To the mannah born...
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 19:01
    ROFL! You rotter!!! (I just wouldn’t have put it past Woody to have made a film by that title.)
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 19:07
    --(young Israelite, born in Canaan) Why d'you still eat that nasty old crap you find in the desert, pa?
    --(grizzled desert veteran) To the mannah born...
    According to at least some rabbis I’ve read, the Hebrew word manna actually means “What is it?”
  7. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 19:31
    According to at least some rabbis I’ve read, the Hebrew word manna actually means “What is it?”
    Alpo
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    John 5:46 "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me."

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/jn/5.html#46
    All throughout the OT, the shadow Christology exists, beginning in the beginnings... the seed of the woman.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 21:55
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    All throughout the OT, the shadow Christology exists, beginning in the beginnings... the seed of the woman.
    So where did Moses write about Jesus?
  10. Standard membergenius
    Wayward Soul
    Your Blackened Sky
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 23:00
    Hi, G—

Wherever you find the English word “anointed” in the Hebrew Scriptures, the underlying Hebrew word is mashach (verb); as a noun it is mashiach, from which is derived messiah. Just a few examples:

Numbers 3:3—the “anointed priests”: ha’m’shechim (the word "priests" does not actually appear, but is inferred clearly from the contex ...[text shortened]... Judaic religious teaching, e.g., an exegesis of a Torah-text by a rabbi—“here is my torah...”.
    i think-although it is late and as i have proved in another thread my brain is not working at it's best at the mo.-that your point is meerly that there is a messiah, but that it's not Jesus.

you claim that Jesus fits the bill only if you look at the OT whilst looking for proof that Jesus was Christ?

surely this meerly implies that Jesus fits the bill? i mean, if we look through the OT and see all these phrophesies that fit him then surely we have to wonder whether they refer to him? who else do they refer to, if not to Jesus?
  11. Standard memberspiritmangr8ness
    Doh!!! Or--Are--I
    Springfield, USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 23:16
    [b]John 5:46 "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me."
    Deut 18: 15-22
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    01 Aug '06 23:46
    Only in the broadest sense. Since the NT was written with the OT "prophecies" in mind, it wasn't too hard to fill in the blanks, so to speak.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 00:091 edit
    Originally posted by genius
    i think-although it is late and as i have proved in another thread my brain is not working at it's best at the mo.-that your point is meerly that there is a messiah, but that it's not Jesus.

you claim that Jesus fits the bill only if you look at the OT whilst looking for proof that Jesus was Christ?

surely this meerly implies that Jesus fits the bill? i ...[text shortened]... urely we have to wonder whether they refer to him? who else do they refer to, if not to Jesus?
    Yeah, my brain’s tired too. I’m going to take a break for awhile, but didn’t just want to leave you hanging...

Those Jews who still believe in a “personal” messiah, don’t think it was Jesus, but someone yet to appear. Others have totally reworked their understanding of what messiah means. Prophecy is also a knotty subject. If you don’t accept the NT, it is likely that you won’t find prophecies related to J in the HS (it is really hard for someone steeped in Christianity to simply set aside the NT and look at the HS fresh, so to speak—I know). Again, I think the gospel writers looked for those supporting HS texts because they were already convinced that J was the messiah.

One of my favorite lines is “There is no messiah—and you’re it!” from the book by the same title by rabbi Robert N. Levine. Messianism, while a strain in Judaism, is not a necessary fundamental of Judaism, and seems to never have been. One can find the “shadow” to use Freaky’s term, in the HS if one already has a messianic stance; that much I’ll grant.

Here are just some excerpts, that illustrate a variety of Jewish viewpoints—

Some notes on redemption and messianism in Judaism:

From David S. Ariel, What Do Jews Believe?:

Martin Buber (interpreting the Hasidic understanding, which may be the most closely linked with “personal” redemption): “There is no definite magic action that is effective for redemption.; only the hallowing of all actions without distinction possesses redemptive power. Only out of the redemption of everyday does the Day of redemption grow.” (my italics)

Reform Judaism: “More recently, the Reform concept of messianism has come to mean the result of human effort on behalf of creating the perfect world.”

Conservative Judaism: “The Conservative credo is agnostic on the question of the Messiah: ‘We do not know when the Messiah will come, nor whether he will be a charismatic figure or is a symbol of the redemption of humankind from the evils of the world..”

A difference between Judaism and Christianity: “The major Jewish objection to Christianity is that Judaism regards the Messiah as a human being, and the Christian deification of a person constitutes idolatry.”

Quoted in Jurgen Moltmann, The Way of Jesus Christ:

Martin Buber: “We know more deeply, more truly, that world history has not been turned upside down to its very foundations—that the world is not yet redeemed. We sense its unredeemedness….The redemption of the world is for us indivisibly one with the perfecting of creation, with the establishment of the unity which nothing more prevents, the unity which is no longer controverted, and which is realized in all the protean variety of the world. Redemption is one with the Kingdom of God in its fulfillment. An anticipation of any single part of the completed redemption of the world—for example the redemption beforehand of the soul—is something we cannot grasp….” (italics in original)

Schalom Ben Chorin: “In Jewish eyes, redemption means redemption from all evil. Evil of body and soul, evil in creation and civilization. So when we say redemption, we mean the whole of redemption. Between creation and redemption we know only one caesura: the revelation of God’s will.”

Gershom Scholem: “It is a completely different concept of redemption which determines the attitude to messianism in Judaism and Christianity….In all its shapes and forms, Judaism has always adhered to a concept of redemption which sees it as a process that takes place publicly, on the stage of history and in the medium of the community; in short, which essentially takes place in the visible world, and cannot be thought of except as a phenomenon that appears in what is already visible. Christianity, on the other hand, understands redemption as a happening in the spiritual sphere, and in what is invisible. It takes place in the soul, in the world of every individual, and effects a mysterious transformation to which nothing in the external world necessarily corresponds….[This] has always seemed to the religious thinkers of Judaism an illegitimate anticipation of something which could at best come about as the inward side of an event which takes place essentially in the outward world; but this inward side could never be separated from that event itself.” (my italics)

Now, these views are not monolithic (and do not exhaust the list); and whether these writers’ understanding of Christianity is any better than most Christians’ understanding of Judaism, I do not know.

You will, of course, be able to mount Christian counter-arguments. The arguments have gone on for a long time. The disagreement is fine; I respect your faith. Just don’t automatically assume, from a Christian perspective, that the Jews have not know how to read their scriptures (remember, Judaism—based partly on the nature of the Hebrew language—does not generally insist on a “one right reading” ); that would be condescending...

Shalom
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 00:40
    Originally posted by spiritmangr8ness
    Deut 18: 15-22
    Thanks!

What do you think about Deut 18:22?

18:22 When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/dt/18.html

It's been ~2000 years since Jesus died. Can we safely use 18:22 to figure out if Jesus was a prophet or not by analyzing all of Jesus' prophecies? Clearly, God intended that people be able to tell prophet from non-prophet; this cannot work if we give "prophets" infinite time for their prophecies to come true. Have all of Jesus' prophecies come true already?
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    02 Aug '06 01:47
    Sorry for being so opaque, but... "the seed of the woman," begins the many shadows of the Person who became flesh.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree