1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 23:07
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    okay, lets just say god did send his son to save us 2000 years ago, what's he been up to since?
    He has a new problem. Now there are these pesky scientists checking to make sure he follows his own scientific laws. He used to be able to get away with breaking them, but now he has to deal with the scientists. He's gone from plague hurling smiter to stealthy ninja in the night!

I guess getting crucified will change anybody.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 23:511 edit
    okay, lets just say god did send his son to save us 2000 years ago, what's he been up to since?
    Are we not talking about him now? Enough said. 🙂

In all fairness, how many religions have come and gone? How many gods have come and gone by the wayside? What major religions are left? It seems to me that the God of Abraham seems to dominant the world scene today, no? We have Christianity, Judism, and Islam. What say you?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 00:00
    Originally posted by Varqa
    When I read the Bible about His second coming, I get the sense that it was to happen very soon, certainly not 2000 years later. In this example Jesus tells his desciples that some of them will be round to see the kingdom of God on earth.

For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in h ...[text shortened]... which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
    (King James Bible, Luke)
    You might say that as soon as we die we will see his second coming, so taken in that context his second coming could be within hours.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 00:03
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    You have to wonder though. You read the bible and god was always doing big stuff. Destroying cities, plagues, parting seas, booming voices, burning bushes and the like. Then there was Jesus, always talking to everyone, miracles all over the show.

It's certainly been quiet.
    He is only quite to those who do not know him even back in Old Testament times. To those who know him, however, he is an active participant in their respective lives.
  5. Joined
    11 Jul '06
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 01:34
    Originally posted by whodey
    He is only quite to those who do not know him even back in Old Testament times. To those who know him, however, he is an active participant in their respective lives.
    I wonder, whodey, all these big big stuff that God's been doing: parting seas, flooding the world and killing people etc, participating in our lives? Yet there is still a fair number of people who don't believe in his existence.

What is so wrong for God to be direct and simple; why can't he simply appear before us to prove his existence? Surely that is very easy for him to do? Then all this debates would not be necessary. All of us will believe in his existence. Maybe we won't all come to love him or obey him. But at least we will believe in his existence to start with?
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 01:37
    Originally posted by ckoh1965
    why can't he simply appear before us to prove his existence?
    Because then the church would have nowhere to peddle crazy.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 01:48
    Originally posted by Varqa
    When I read the Bible about His second coming, I get the sense that it was to happen very soon, certainly not 2000 years later. In this example Jesus tells his desciples that some of them will be round to see the kingdom of God on earth.

For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in h ...[text shortened]... which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
    (King James Bible, Luke)
    Don't forget to God a 1,000 years is like a day to him. And a day is like a 1,000 years.
  8. Earth
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 04:12
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Don't forget to God a 1,000 years is like a day to him. And a day is like a 1,000 years.
    At last someone acknowledges me. Thank you, RBHILL.
    I know about the day being a 1000 years, but

there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God. Luke 9:27

has nothing to do with number of days. Jesus clearly says the kingdom will come before some of them die.
  9. Joined
    11 Jan '07
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 09:38
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No it doesn't! He's God. He can do whatever he wants! Another cop out, switch brain off, answer.
    Were you ever biten up by bulievers or wat, why is it so hard for you to understand religion?I am a non buliever as well but I see miracles everywere either scientificaly explained either not.If there is a God his very active if you ask me.He is not so obvious as in the past but his still here.The only reason we have no more spectacular miracles is becaus we started to take care of owerselves ,we are like children who have grown up and left home to start ower own lives wit as little help as posible from ower parents, in this case God.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 09:52
    Originally posted by Lord Leto
    Were you ever biten up by bulievers or wat, why is it so hard for you to understand religion?I am a non buliever as well but I see miracles everywere either scientificaly explained either not.If there is a God his very active if you ask me.He is not so obvious as in the past but his still here.The only reason we have no more spectacular miracles is becaus ...[text shortened]... home to start ower own lives wit as little help as posible from ower parents, in this case God.
    I see interesting things all the time. I'm constantly amazed, in my job as a scientist, by the complexity of life. Does that lead me to conclude that "it's all magic"? Do I think to myself, "it's too complicated to understand"? Do I pacify myself with, "it's all unknowable, so I shouldn't try"? No! That point of view is sheer unadulterated laziness, and I'll have no truck with those so ignorant as to give up and shove their head in the sand because some man in a dress told them to shut up, stop asking questions and to be a good ignorant little sheep.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 10:06
    God bless the Iraqi resistance.
  12. CA, USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 10:15
    We can only imagine.

A better question might be: What were you thinking when you posted this question?

Was it a sincer inquiry?

Was it bait for hate?

These questions are much easier to answer than the one you posed.
  13. CA, USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 10:18
    You have to wonder though. You read the bible and god was always doing big stuff. Destroying cities, plagues, parting seas, booming voices, burning bushes and the like. Then there was Jesus, always talking to everyone, miracles all over the show.

It's certainly been quiet.
    It seems, still, "You have to wonder though."

Therein lies the answer .. the wonder.
  14. CA, USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 10:23
    God is very lazy or stupid.
    Either He is or you are.

It's a tough choice, but you win this hands down IMO.
  15. CA, USA
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 10:38
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    No it doesn't! He's God. He can do whatever he wants! Another cop out, switch brain off, answer.
    ss was responding to this ..

Originally posted by Lord Leto
    It tackes much more time to built something in the heart of man becaus he was given the right of free will.At least this is from a religious point of vew.

It's the "free will" thingy you're overlooking.
    Seems that's our "gift."

Of course God can do whatever He wants .. that's a given .. that's what makes Him God.
    What makes you a man is that same free will, the gift .. you can do whatever you want within human limits.

For God to "prove" or "show" himself to you would be to preempt the gift.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree