1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:17
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Why would God distort himself!!!! mankind are good at doing that.....
    Why wouldn't he? The Bible claims that man was made in Gods image. You have no good reason to believe that God is not lying to you and deceiving you all the time. In fact, if you believe that God exists then the evidence that he is deceptive far outweighs the evidence that he isn't.
    But then you probably hold with the common statement "I cant believe in a God like that" or "If I am wrong then I don't want to be right".
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:20
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why wouldn't he? The Bible claims that man was made in Gods image. You have no good reason to believe that God is not lying to you and deceiving you all the time. In fact, if you believe that God exists then the evidence that he is deceptive far outweighs the evidence that he isn't.
    But then you probably hold with the common statement "I cant believe in a God like that" or "If I am wrong then I don't want to be right".
    Can you read my mind? ....no.....

God is all loving....he would not lie.....
  3. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:29
    Can you read my mind? ....no.....

God is all loving....he would not lie.....
    Was he "all loving" when he entered into a contest with satan which resulted in Job's life being destroyed?
  4. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:31
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Was he "all loving" when he entered into a contest with satan which resulted in Job's life being destroyed?
    Tell me..... what was Jobs reward at the end of it all?
  5. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:511 edit
    Tell me..... what was Jobs reward at the end of it all?
    His wordly goods were restored twofold as I recall. Now, you tell me, were all of Job's sons brought back from the dead (+1 extra for each risen one)?

Would you be willing to allow all of your children to die so that God could win a bet with Satan, and you could double your worldly posessions? The source of all morality indeed...
  6. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 14:58
    His wordly goods were restored twofold as I recall. Now, you tell me, were all of Job's sons brought back from the dead (+1 extra for each risen one)?

Would you be willing to allow all of your children to die so that God could win a bet with Satan, and you could double your worldly posessions? The source of all morality indeed...
    He was also allowed to live for a considerable time....

The main reason for this "bet" was to test Job's loyalty and he passed and was considerably rewarded.... names escape me at the moment but there was also a chap who was told by God to sacrifice his son.... another test of loyalty....and this chap passed....God stopped him just before he struck his son.....

He tests us all the time....and all he wants is loyalty from the people he created !!!
  7. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:10
    He was also allowed to live for a considerable time....

The main reason for this "bet" was to test Job's loyalty and he passed and was considerably rewarded.... names escape me at the moment but there was also a chap who was told by God to sacrifice his son.... another test of loyalty....and this chap passed....God stopped him just before he struck his s ...[text shortened]... ...

He tests us all the time....and all he wants is loyalty from the people he created !!!
    Way to not answer my question.

Why would an all powerful God need to test our faith when he can instantly know both our minds and our hearts?

Are you sure you have given this enough thought?

The "chap's" name, BTW, was Isaac.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:18

Why would an all powerful God need to test our faith when he can instantly know both our minds and our hearts?

His sons were not brought back....

He knows but he tests us anyway because we have free will...

I have thought about it and i reply with my heart which is from God....

Thank you....Isaac..... are you a Atheist?.... are you one of those Atheists that study the bible to try and catch Theists out.... if you are.....😳
  9. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:23
    I am the Creator of this Universe,
    And all that is was meant to be,
    Has the world gone mad or is it Me?
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:23
    Originally posted by znsho
    I am the Creator of this Universe,
    And all that is was meant to be,
    Has the world gone mad or is it Me?
    Your world has rejected you.....:'(
  11. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:30
    His sons were not brought back....

He knows but he tests us anyway because we have free will...

I have thought about it and i reply with my heart which is from God....

Thank you....Isaac..... are you a Atheist?.... are you one of those Atheists that study the bible to try and catch Theists out.... if you are.....😳
    I'm a former theist (protestant-Baptist) who has recently turned to atheism for a much needed reality check.

In fact, the story of Job and others like it (both from biblical and modern times) is one of the main reasons I abandoned my faith. I could no longer honestly perform the mental gymnastics required to believe that an omni-everything God can exist in conjunction with evil and human suffering.

I have studied the Bible somewhat extensively, but I do not go looking for instances to "catch theists out"...I figure they have enough problems just keeping all the mythology straight without me showing up to confuse the matter further.

I will say, however, that the extent to which many Christians are ignorant of the theology which comprises their own religion is very aggravating.
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:33
    I'm a former theist (protestant-Baptist) who has recently turned to atheism for a much needed reality check.

In fact, the story of Job and others like it (both from biblical and modern times) is one of the main reasons I abandoned my faith. I could no longer honestly perform the mental gymnastics required to believe that an omni-everything God can exi ...[text shortened]... ristians are ignorant of the theology which comprises their own religion is very aggravating.
    I respect your view....🙂
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:38
    I respect your view....🙂
    But you still think he's going to burn in Hell.
  14. Gangster Land
    Moves
    08 May '07 15:39
    I respect your view....🙂
    Hmmm...I can't honestly say that I, in turn, respect your view (at least, as it has been portrayed in these forums), but I respect you...how's that?

Out of curiosity (and if you don't mind my asking), what is your age (an approximation will do if you prefer, like "middle-aged" etc.), and how long have you been a Christian?
  15. RDU NC
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:00

Details, Details, Details.

Isaac was the sacrifice. Abraham was the "chap."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree