Details, Details, Details.

Isaac was the sacrifice. Abraham was the "chap."
    Ha...you're right.
  2. RDU NC
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:29
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Way to not answer my question.

Why would an all powerful God need to test our faith when he can instantly know both our minds and our hearts?

Are you sure you have given this enough thought?

The "chap's" name, BTW, was Isaac.
    I have no argument with this. Cheers.
  3. RDU NC
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:30
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    His sons were not brought back....

He knows but he tests us anyway because we have free will...

I have thought about it and i reply with my heart which is from God....

Thank you....Isaac..... are you a Atheist?.... are you one of those Atheists that study the bible to try and catch Theists out.... if you are.....😳
    I have considerable argument with this.
  4. RDU NC
    Moves
    08 May '07 16:35
    If there is a god, and it is indeed the God of the Bible, then this God has no need to test His creatures, be it man or Satan himself (yes, created by God, therefore, a creature).
    Free will would not factor into it. The God of the Bible has complete awareness of all things: past, present, and future. He is, based on the Bible, 3-O (Omni- present, scient, potent, and i would add a 4th O- benevolent). There God knew how Job and Abraham would respond. So the question again comes to why would He do it?
    And, why would the Bible refer to it as a test in the case of Abraham?
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    08 May '07 17:001 edit
    Non-aligned, non-supernaturalist non-dualist/monist.

That is, if by “supernatural” one means either (a) “outside” or “beyond” the natural order (whatever that means), or (b) contravening natural processes (whether we understand, or are capable of understanding, those processes or not).

I haven’t given up the “G-word” as useless yet, depending on what you mean by “G-o-d.” But if you mean some sort of supernatural being existing separately from the all-of-all of everything else,* then I am a non-theist.

* i.e.—

Just another brick in the wall,
    even if the biggest brick of all
    who fashioned every other,
    and causes them to stand or fall.

(apologies to Pink Floyd)
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 May '07 19:18
    Originally posted by Penguin
    I disbelieve in 1 more god than most of the theists on this forum:

I disbelieve in the Roman gods
    I disbelieve in the Greek gods
    I disbelieve in the Pagan gods
    I disbelieve in the Norse gods
    I disbelieve in the Hindu gods
    I disbelieve in the Muslim gods
    I disbelieve in the Christian gods
    I disbelieve in the Sikh gods
    I disbelieve in the Bahai gods ...[text shortened]... u believe in your god is not because he exists but because of where you grew up.

--- Penguin
    Considering there is no god, why do you call it a 'He'?
    How do you assign sex to a non-existant being?
  7. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 May '07 21:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Considering there is no god, why do you call it a 'He'?
    How do you assign sex to a non-existant being?
    Would it make much sense to call Winnie The Pooh 'she' or 'it'? What about Father Christmas?

--- Penguin.
  8. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    09 May '07 00:02
    Originally posted by Penguin
    Would it make much sense to call Winnie The Pooh 'she' or 'it'? What about Father Christmas?

--- Penguin.
    And most people refer to the tooth fairy as female, but there is nothing inherently female about tooth faries, unlike Father Christmas.
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 00:40
    I was a Lutheran, but changed to an atheist. I believe my change is fairly typical of what others go through. I was the sort of person who just kinda went with the flow, not caring much about what I was believing in. After I was confirmed, I started to drift. At first for a couple of years I was in a stasis, stuck between believing and not. I didn't have the courage, or the strength to say "I don't believe". I just put it aside, hoping God would lead me to the right path, or give me a sign. So you could say I still believed at that moment, but I had doubts growing in my mind.

I think it was toward my last high school years where my faith finally collasped. It wasn't sudden, but a gradual process. I know I read this somewhere on this forum, but it was like being in a mist, and then all of a sudden you notice you are soaked. I wasn't suprised, but... it was a big step for me. I could "talk" to God and say he didn't exist without fear.

To be blunt, stuff just didn't add up. Why were there so many religions? There are many people who are born far away from christianity, who would have no clue what it's about. Why would they suffer? Angels and Demons, Heaven and Hell, God and the devil. This sounds like Greek Mythology. This just doesn't seem right in this modern world. I didn't believe that a just God would require the bible in order for you to be saved. I didn't believe that you needed to know of some past event 2000 years ago just to be accepted. This all just seemed superficial. Honestly, if there is a just and loving God, I would be able to find him on my own. If this isn't true, then he banishes all thoses unlucky enoughy to be out of reach from the Bible, from Jesus. A God based on luck just seemed silly.

This is when I found Red Hot Pawn and the spirituality forum. At that time I still held the belief that there is a good chance that God does exist, just that he wasn't part of some religion. After going through a lot of what was said on these forums, I found that the position that made most sense was atheism.

I'm still searching for the answers. I'm really interested in Eastern religion/philosophy. I hope I will gain more insight, and perhaps I will change my position once again. I do know that I've made considerable progress from where I started, so I'm very happy about that aspect of my journey.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:14
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But you still think he's going to burn in Hell.
    Not at all!!!
  11. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:17
    Originally posted by TheSkipper
    Hmmm...I can't honestly say that I, in turn, respect your view (at least, as it has been portrayed in these forums), but I respect you...how's that?

Out of curiosity (and if you don't mind my asking), what is your age (an approximation will do if you prefer, like "middle-aged" etc.), and how long have you been a Christian?
    Well...you dont have to respect my view....i understand.... i could probably explain it a whole lot better in person so shall we leave it at that....

My age? why? i dont mind you asking but why would you want to know?

I have been a christian for a long time......😀
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:18
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    Details, Details, Details.

Isaac was the sacrifice. Abraham was the "chap."
    Thank you McDonalds......
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:20
    Originally posted by Big Mac
    If there is a god, and it is indeed the God of the Bible, then this God has no need to test His creatures, be it man or Satan himself (yes, created by God, therefore, a creature).
    Free will would not factor into it. The God of the Bible has complete awareness of all things: past, present, and future. He is, based on the Bible, 3-O (Omni- present, sci ...[text shortened]... to why would He do it?
    And, why would the Bible refer to it as a test in the case of Abraham?
    Because it was a test....
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:26
    I was raised as a Christian - not fundamentalist or literalist, just your basic garden variety christian.
    I rejected it initially because of all the usual Weak Atheist arguments - no evidence and so forth.
    Now, I consider myself a Strong Atheist - I reject God as a concept as a part of my own belief system. In simple terms, I refuse to accept that I live in a world where supernatural events or beings can exist. I hate the notion that such a world might be and that I might be a part of it - and so I wholly deny the notion.
    I believe that there is no God.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:32
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    God is all loving....he would not lie.....
    He lied when he told you that.....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree