1. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 09:59
    Originally posted by amannion
    I was raised as a Christian - not fundamentalist or literalist, just your basic garden variety christian.
    I rejected it initially because of all the usual Weak Atheist arguments - no evidence and so forth.
    Now, I consider myself a Strong Atheist - I reject God as a concept as a part of my own belief system. In simple terms, I refuse to accept that I live ...[text shortened]... that I might be a part of it - and so I wholly deny the notion.
    I believe that there is no God.
    And i respect that view...i dont agree....but i respect it...
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 10:00
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He lied when he told you that.....
    I think not....he would not lie......
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '07 10:08
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    I think not....he would not lie......
    But you refuse to tell us why you believe that.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 May '07 10:11
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Considering there is no god, why do you call it a 'He'?
    How do you assign sex to a non-existant being?
    Surely he only used 'he' in reference to the Christian God. He did mention the Hindu gods which are of various sexes.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 10:13
    But you refuse to tell us why you believe that.
    My past posts have said it all.......i have not refused.....pushed for time at the moment.....
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 May '07 12:23
    Surely he only used 'he' in reference to the Christian God. He did mention the Hindu gods which are of various sexes.
    Having looked again at my post, yes that sentence was refering specifically to you and I assumed you were refering to the Christian god. In fact, the original post spoke about God in the singular so I think it's a fair bet that you are of the montheistic persuasion. I don't know of any monotheistic god who is not generally considered (if not explicetely stated) to be male.

But I'll agree that I probably could have avoided this particular irrelevant nitpicking by saying "he/she/it". It really has no bearing on the question of why theists believe in the particular theology that they do. I still maintain that in the vast majority of cases, it is entirely due to their upbringing and social environment rather than due to any intrinsic merit or truth of their indoctrinated beliefs.

--- Penguin.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    09 May '07 13:20
    Not at all!!!
    So you believe that atheists can go to heaven?
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 13:48
    Originally posted by rwingett
    If they turn to Christ...yes
  9. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 May '07 14:08
    If they turn to Christ...yes
    So to sumarise my understanding of this subthread...

You respect TheSkipper's atheistic view and his reasons for holding that view but you believe he will burn in hell unless he abandons that respected view in favour of your particular religion.

Is that right?

--- Penguin.
  10. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    09 May '07 14:19
    Originally posted by Penguin
    So to sumarise my understanding of this subthread...

You respect TheSkipper's atheistic view and his reasons for holding that view but you believe he will burn in hell unless he abandons that respected view in favour of your particular religion.

Is that right?

--- Penguin.
    Well...burn in hell is a bit extreme....be removed from God's sight is more like it...

I want Atheists to believe but i dont bang on about it to them to turn to Christ as i really believe once they say no they have put up a barrier and thats hard to break down....all i say then is "please...read the Bible....look into it....if you still dont believe then fine"....i believe with my heart...i cant quote scripture...i never went to Bible study...
    Atheists always seem to me to be angry or cross and i cant understand why...when something positive and good can come from believing...people choose to be angry..... its your choice....i respect that. 🙂
  11. Joined
    14 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 May '07 15:38
    All the atheists.

I am one of them.
    My reasons include:
    1. The lack of evidence.
    2. The evidence against.
    3. The lack of consistency in what believers tell me. (including writings of believers such as the Bible.)

Now, if you believe in God, why? Please think about it and try to answer correctly and don't just do what most Christians do when asked that question - they list their justifications and not their primary reasons.
    Why do I believe in God? That is a good question and one someone would have every right to ask. I felt the need to write my reasons here in these forums. This is not a question that can be answered quickly because there are many reasons why I believe in God. This may take a while but I’ll try and keep it as short as possible.

I always believed there was something more out there but never really wanted to spend time at Church. Much like many others, the proof wasn’t there. There was no evidence why I needed to go to Church or anything. 15 years ago, I became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My testimony was very weak at the time. I was still new in the Church. The experience that didn’t make me believe everything at first but it was a stepping stone was the time I received my Patriarchal Blessing. For those who do not know, a Patriarchal Blessing is meant to give a child of God special and personal instructions from our Father in Heaven in their life. I hold these sacred to me and can only say that there were certain things said that specifically mentioned my own personal goals and dreams I had for the future. I had not mentioned these to anyone yet.

That was the start of my testimony. Although I admit I was not perfect and began to make mistakes. I was still young and learning. At first I struggled much. I was constantly trying to live every principle I was taught. I fell short many times and repented. It seemed that when I was doing well (lived gospel principles) my life was much easier. I grasped on certain things quicker. I just received a greater understanding of the scriptures. Now I can realize what was happening. When I was baptized, I received the Holy Ghost as a companion to help me throughout my life. The Holy Ghost does not stay around sin or contention. It is the Holy Ghost that teaches us and helps us. If I sin or get angry or do many things not in accordance with Christ’s teachings, the Holy Ghost will leave me until I can get back on the right path.

The power of the Priesthood I can testify exists and is available to everyone. When my family needs a blessing and I am worthy, I can and have blessed their lives. I used the priesthood to bless my foster daughter once when she was having nightmares every night. She was 2 years old. She never once had any further nightmares. I received a blessing from other members of the Church after I had my operation. After the blessing I was not in as much pain and quickly healed. There have been many instances where blessings have helped me and my family.

There have been many other experiences, both good and bad, that lead me to believe in God our Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I didn’t write all my experiences. I would be here all day and night.

This is not meant to get someone else to believe, only to answer why I believe. Everyone needs to make their own choice and receive the proof for themselves. I can not give anyone the proof. All I can say is I have a strong belief that we have a loving Father in Heaven. He knows and loves everyone. He wants us to get to know Him.

In John 1: 43-46 Jesus found a man named Phillip and said Follow me. Phillip found another man named Nathaniel and told him of Jesus. Nathaniel had doubts and didn’t believe.

43. The day following Jesus would go forth into Galilee and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, follow me.
    44. Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.
    45. Philip findeth Nathaniel, and saith unto him, we have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
    46. And Nathaniel said unto, can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

I will just close by using Philip’s reply to Nathaniel.

Come and see. Just remember it is your choice and whatever you decide: to continue to not believe or decide to ‘come and see’, you are not any less important in my eyes or God’s eyes. You will still be loved regardless of what you decide.
  12. Joined
    15 Apr '07
    Moves
    10 May '07 06:04
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Do Atheist believe in heaven in the first place?
  13. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    10 May '07 06:06
    Originally posted by Riddle2007
    Do Atheist believe in heaven in the first place?
    Of course not.
    But if it were to exist, who would be allowed - I think that's the upshot of the question.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 May '07 06:53
    Originally posted by stepnkev
    I always believed there was something more out there ....
    [text shortened]
    There have been many other experiences, both good and bad, that lead me to believe in God our Father in Heaven, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. ......
    It is not clear whether you have more or less always believed in God and are simply listing the reasons why you continue to do so or whether your have been largely agnostic with some current tendencies towards believing in God. If it is the former then you haven't really addressed the question at all. If it is the latter then it makes me wonder why you have such little faith.

My question for you is: If you meet a muslim who has had similar experiences to yours then why would you continue believing in the Christian God and not the muslim God (Allah). Or do you believe that your experiences are unique to Christians?
  15. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    10 May '07 07:52
    Originally posted by stepnkev
    Why do I believe in God? That is a good question and one someone would have every right to ask. I felt the need to write my reasons here in these forums. This is not a question that can be answered quickly because there are many reasons why I believe in God. This may take a while but I’ll try and keep it as short as possible.

I always believed there was ...[text shortened]... less important in my eyes or God’s eyes. You will still be loved regardless of what you decide.
    Thank you for that...God bless you 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree