1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 01:101 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I know what you mean and I appreciate your effort to make light of your own missteps on this matter. However, the issue here is that you are attempting to use a word - "indoctrinate" - which has certain conventional connotations - in a way that could apply to virtually everything that anyone ever says, every or any day, about anything, since whenever, in referen aroly's chain. And, as you can see, karoly's chain has been yanked. As has yours it seems.
    Okay, I guess I will just have to accept that my English language skills are
    not up to par.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 01:211 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Okay, I guess I will just have to accept that mu English language skills are
    not up to par.
    Just so you know, I personally think that 'teaching someone to accept doctrines uncritically' - and the power relationship (whether it be overt or subtle or even unconscious) implied by that action of "teaching" - is a pretty good way to approach the word "indoctrinate" for it gets to the heart of its conventional meaning. The relationship between karoly and Rajk999 is clearly not one of someone being a teacher and someone being taught, far from it. Nor does karoly ask Rajk999 to be uncritical - indeed, the very fact that all this has arisen in the context of debate clearly demonstrates that this is essentially a case of people consciously 'being critical' about each others expressed opinions.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 01:23
    I wonder if anyone else has any thoughts on the meaning and nature of "indoctrination". I believe that discussion of what it actually means is entirely appropriate on a Spirituality Forum.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 04:01
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    IMO being born again is a day to day process.
    So the "christians" that I have met that claimed to be "born again" "all of a sudden", (most of them saying that it happened almost instantaneously (wow,I can t believe I spelled that word right-spelling bee-here I come!! Charlie's going to cream all you little eighth graders 😀), but I digress), are you saying that they were all full of it? Or what?
    (I would be VERY interested in the answer to this one, so pleased dont ignore t- not saying that you would, but Im just sayin' ....I'm interested,Ta 🙂
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 06:22
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    So the "christians" that I have met that claimed to be "born again" "all of a sudden", (most of them saying that it happened almost instantaneously (wow,I can t believe I spelled that word right-spelling bee-here I come!! Charlie's going to cream all you little eighth graders 😀), but I digress), are you saying that they were all full of it? Or what? ...[text shortened]... d dont ignore t- not saying that you would, but Im just sayin' ....I'm interested,Ta 🙂
    I think he is referring to "spiritual growth" not "spiritual birth".
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 06:32
    So the "christians" that I have met that claimed to be "born again" "all of a sudden", (most of them saying that it happened almost instantaneously (wow,I can t believe I spelled that word right-spelling bee-here I come!! Charlie's going to cream all you little eighth graders 😀), but I digress), are you saying that they were all full of it? Or what? ...[text shortened]... d dont ignore t- not saying that you would, but Im just sayin' ....I'm interested,Ta 🙂
    Back up to page 12 🙂 I answered it in part.
    I would not say someone is full of malarky if they converted instantly, it certainly happens. Take Paul for example.

http://history-world.org/paul.htm

My experience, for me, it's more of a process.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 07:10
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Back up to page 12 🙂 I answered it in part.
    I would not say someone is full of malarky if they converted instantly, it certainly happens. Take Paul for example.

http://history-world.org/paul.htm

My experience, for me, it's more of a process.
    You never had an "ah-ha" moment spirtually speaking?
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 20:11
    Not really, I was raised a Christian, studied various religions, came back full circle so to speak. I've had "religious experiences" but nothing like what St. Paul had.
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 20:15
    YouTube
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 22:14
    My post was on page 7 of this thread in which I was referring to you and
    robbie indoctrinating your kids. The fact that you have or have not tried
    to indoctrinate anyone on this forum has nothing to do with that. But
    someone on this thread believed you were trying to indoctrinate him. I
    still think you will be trying to indoctrinate your kids.
    I am not trying to indoctrinate my kids. I give them information when they are ready for it. when are they ready for it? When they ask.
    And if I dont know, then I tell them.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Nov '11 22:17
    I am not trying to indoctrinate my kids. I give them information when they are ready for it. when are they ready for it? When they ask.
    And if I dont know, then I tell them.
    Okay, I could be wrong on this.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree