Who knows about Easter?

Who knows about Easter?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
13 Apr 06

As this is Holy Week for Christians, I was contemplating the mystery that we call Easter or the resurrection. I wanted to start a thread to offer a space for people to share what Easter means to them from a personal perspective. What stories of hope, redemption, recovery, or suprise do you have that give Easter its meaning for you?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by kirksey957
As this is Holy Week for Christians, I was contemplating the mystery that we call Easter or the resurrection. I wanted to start a thread to offer a space for people to share what Easter means to them from a personal perspective. What stories of hope, redemption, recovery, or suprise do you have that give Easter its meaning for you?
The only mystery is where they've hidden them damn Easter eggs. You could fit hope, recovery, and surprise in there with a little effort. Don't see much room for redemption, though.

Easter was a fine holiday as a kid. Now our family just gets together to have a fine meal. Not much else to it.

w

Moves
13 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by rwingett
The only mystery is where they've hidden them damn Easter eggs. You could fit hope, recovery, and surprise in there with a little effort. Don't see much room for redemption, though.

Easter was a fine holiday as a kid. Now our family just gets together to have a fine meal. Not much else to it.
It seems to me that theists are the only ones who know how to party. I mean what holidays would you atheists have if it were not for us theists. Go ahead and take away Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving. God ahead. I hear Groundhog day is a blast.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by whodey
It seems to me that theists are the only ones who know how to party. I mean what holidays would you atheists have if it were not for us theists. Go ahead and take away Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving. God ahead. I hear Groundhog day is a blast.
Yeah they're great parties - if you're a shareholder in WalMart or some other big retailer.
Well done you Christians.
You really stuck it to us atheists.

w

Moves
13 Apr 06

For me, every time I take communion is Easter, and every day beleivers meet we should have communion. As Christians we should take time every day to focus on what Christ has done for us. For those who scoff at my beliefs I would say that I have hope through Christ. For those who hate me, I say that I have love for you because of the love of Christ in me. For those who say I am irrational and illogical, I would say that through Christ I have peace of mind so as to think clearly. No one can ever explain these expereinces away for me or explain away the changes Christ has made in me. For both believer and unbeliever I pray peace to you this Easter holiday. God bless.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
13 Apr 06

For me, every time I take communion is Easter, and every day beleivers meet we should have communion. As Christians we should take time every day to focus on what Christ has done for us. For those who scoff at my beliefs I would say that I have hope through Christ. For those who hate me, I say that I have love for you because of the love of Christ in me. ...[text shortened]... de in me. For both believer and unbeliever I pray peace to you this Easter holiday. God bless.
If that's how you really feel then I say thanks Whodey for your thoughts. Thanks for your love.

But why the sarcasm and the apparent hatred for the atheists that you showed in your previous thread? This doesn't gell with what you've just said.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
13 Apr 06

For me, every time I take communion is Easter, and every day beleivers meet we should have communion. As Christians we should take time every day to focus on what Christ has done for us. For those who scoff at my beliefs I would say that I have hope through Christ. For those who hate me, I say that I have love for you because of the love of Christ in me. ...[text shortened]... de in me. For both believer and unbeliever I pray peace to you this Easter holiday. God bless.
For those that can't have hope for themselves I say get a clue and stop relying on good old God to give you the answers. For those that can't love another without Christ sticking his nose in I say take some damn responsibility for your own emotions. For those who say I just don't understand their beliefs I apologize for having broken free of the fold and starting to think for myself.

w

Moves
13 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by amannion
If that's how you really feel then I say thanks Whodey for your thoughts. Thanks for your love.

But why the sarcasm and the apparent hatred for the atheists that you showed in your previous thread? This doesn't gell with what you've just said.
Although I have used sarcasm in the past I have done so only to get help communicate my positions. I often find it an effective vehicle to do so. I also find a great deal of humor in sarcasm as well. Humor is a very effective tool to convey ideas. I don't find sarcasm malicious in and of itself. I think it depends mainly upon intent and the air in which it is used. My intent was only to get others to laugh at themselves at times and see the truth that I percieve it to be. It may interest you to know that Christ also used sarcasm. It was usually in situations where people were trying to trip him up in clever arguements and such. They were not interested in the truth, rather, they were interested in discrediting him and finding fault with him. I will even go out on a limb and say that they wanted him dead in fact. (That sounded a little sarcastic as well didn't it?) Sorry. I still mean what I said, however, in my previous post. I suppose you where either puking your guts out as you read it as pure BS or recieved it as merely a gesture of good will. I hope it is the later.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
13 Apr 06

You must be kidding. I always got the impression that your god condemned us heathens for our outrageously awesome parties.

l

London

Moves
13 Apr 06

Would you share some of the fruits of that contemplation with us?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by telerion
You must be kidding. I always got the impression that your god condemned us heathens for our outrageously awesome parties.
The difference is that yours are unofficial.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Would you share some of the fruits of that contemplation with us?
Many minister have told me that the sermon that they preach on Easter is the most difficult one they preach for the entire year. When I ask why they tell me that making the magical (the resurrrection) relevant into concrete experiences is very difficult. I was simply interested in people's experiences. So far I think this thread has bornout what my minister friends have told me.

l

London

Moves
13 Apr 06

Many minister have told me that the sermon that they preach on Easter is the most difficult one they preach for the entire year. When I ask why they tell me that making the magical (the resurrrection) relevant into concrete experiences is very difficult. I was simply interested in people's experiences. So far I think this thread has bornout what my minister friends have told me.
So far, only whodey and rwingett (in a fashion) have attempted to answer your question - the rest of it is just the usual bickering.

This thread looks interesting (as long as it doesn't degenerate into the usual "you're just stupid" name-calling) - but I think it's only fair that you answer your own question before you ask others to do so (especially as it is of a personal nature).

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
13 Apr 06

Originally posted by orfeo
The difference is that yours are unofficial.
The best parties always are....

Moves
13 Apr 06

Don't know if anyone cares, but the name Easter is originally derived from the Germanic goddess Ostara or Eostre in Anglo Saxon. So clearly this holiday has its roots in pre-christian times as the heathen traditions of the Easter Bunny and Easter Eggs also demonstrates. That's not to say that Christians didn't celebrate the resurrection its just that they didn't call it Easter until the conversion of heathen Germanic tribes was underway. And really when you get right down to it the concept of the resurrection (i.e. rebirth) was nothing new. This happens naturally every Spring anyhow since it is a time of rebirth. All this talk about Jesus coming coming back from the dead because he loves us! Unnecessary spin if you ask me. I celebrate Ostara for what it is, a time when Winter loses its grip, the Frost Giants (speaking metaphoriclly as a heathen) have been beaten back, rebirth and new hope is all around us, and once again the Red Sox will win the World Series!!