1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 00:34
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Would you be so kind as to explain what else is missing from the equation, if God is used as a priori?
    I don't know what you mean when you say that God is used as a priori.

Here's what I think you mean: you take it to be the case that the existence of some necessary being is entailed by pure reason; and your current argument is designed to show that this being's having the attributes of the God of the Bible is compatible with our perceptions about the world, including the existence of "evil". Is that along the correct lines?

But I don't know how to interpret this argument of yours. Specifically, I don't know what it means to "defeat evil"; moreover, I am not sure how "defeating evil" sometime down the road is compatible with being "all-good".
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 21:48
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I don't know what you mean when you say that God is used as a priori.

Here's what I think you mean: you take it to be the case that the existence of some necessary being is entailed by pure reason; and your current argument is designed to show that this being's having the attributes of the God of the Bible is compatible with our perceptions ab ...[text shortened]... re how "defeating evil" sometime down the road is compatible with being "all-good".
    I was referring to the philosophical term, priori, and addressing 'the argument from evil', which I am sure you are well acquainted with.

If not, I could try to deal with it in more depth, and maybe we can use that as a starting point before I go into the other technicalities?
  3. The sky
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 22:04
    I was referring to the philosophical term, priori
    The term is "a priori", the "a" not being an article, but meaning "from" (it's Latin), "priori" being the ablative case of "prior", which means "earlier". You might want to read up on it before you use the term again. Try for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_%28philosophy%29
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 22:11
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    The term is "a priori", the "a" not being an article, but meaning "from" (it's Latin), "priori" being the ablative case of "prior", which means "earlier". You might want to read up on it before you use the term again. Try for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori_%28philosophy%29
    A priori (philosophy) - a priori is used in philosophy to refer to a type of knowledge that is independent of experience or non-empirical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori
  5. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 23:061 edit
    A priori (philosophy) - a priori is used in philosophy to refer to a type of knowledge that is independent of experience or non-empirical.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_priori
    It's actually just latin and is used outside of philosophy as well.

Edit: Just looked at your link, so I guess you know this now.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    16 Sep '06 23:111 edit
    I was referring to the philosophical term, priori, and addressing 'the argument from evil', which I am sure you are well acquainted with.

If not, I could try to deal with it in more depth, and maybe we can use that as a starting point before I go into the other technicalities?
    I know what a priori means, but I still don't fully understand what you are trying to argue.

Again, it seems to me that you are just trying to show that the existence of evil is compatible with the existence of the God of the Bible. And, again, I have to ask what it means to "defeat evil" and how it is possible to "defeat" a current evil by taking some sort of action farther down the chronological road.(?) What sort of action are you talking about, and how is such action compatible with a regiment of always acting in accordance with the greater good?
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Sep '06 10:25
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    I know what a priori means, but I still don't fully understand what you are trying to argue.

Again, it seems to me that you are just trying to show that the existence of evil is compatible with the existence of the God of the Bible. And, again, I have to ask what it means to "defeat evil" and how it is possible to "defeat" a current evil by t ...[text shortened]... uch action compatible with a regiment of always acting in accordance with the greater good?
    I will get to this as soon as I get the time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree