1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 08:111 edit
    Originally posted by Agerg
    So then playing the same game as you, given you can't disprove middle earth didn't exist then your claims about Jesus (given they are sourced only from a book you haven't substantiated, coupled with my `faith' in the veracity of Tolkein's writings) are thoroughly baseless.
    another utterly futile debate with the forces of atheism, if you want to believe that
    middle earth exists and thus form a belief system around it, then who am i to stop
    you, good luck in convincing other like minded people of the veracity of your claims,
    you'll probably need it.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 12:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes dear Noobster, they do, you will of course notice the complete lack of affectation, no
    Kassa, Kaboom, flashed of lightning, its almost matter of fact. Its late, i need sleep, i
    have dentist tomorrow and its not going to be much fun 🙁

May Jehovah give you wisdom 🙂
    Ok, this was the challenge -

research a miracle of Christ any one and i can guarantee that the details of the gospel accounts lend themselves to the conclusion that not only was Christ real, but so were his miracles.!

I've read John 1-12, the turning of water into wine miracle, now what?

(note that i'm reading something which conflicts with my worldview.)
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:10
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Ok, this was the challenge -

research a miracle of Christ any one and i can guarantee that the details of the gospel accounts lend themselves to the conclusion that not only was Christ real, but so were his miracles.!

I've read John 1-12, the turning of water into wine miracle, now what?

(note that i'm reading something which conflicts with my worldview.)
    i know, its very admirable of you, give us a moment, my mind is hurting 🙂
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 13:12
    i know, its very admirable of you, give us a moment, my mind is hurting 🙂
    There's no rush.
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 15:49
    whatever, i am now past the point of caring. As for evidence of the existence of God, i think there is, in fact, I would say that there is overwhelming evidence for the existence of God.
    No, there is none. Give me an example of this “evidence” that there is a god.
    nobody has ever shown me ANY evidence that there is a god.
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 15:561 edit
    no its a religious belief! your paradoy was in your insistence of
    terming a religious belief, the same as if there was a tea cup orbiting Mars, which i
    think you'll find less evidence of, than if there was a historical personage known as
    Jesus Christ, who just happened to, well, against tremendous odds, start a religion.
    no its a religious belief!

Is my belief that there is no teacup orbiting Mars a “religious” belief?
    If “yes” then define what you mean by “religious” because your meaning certainly does not conform to any meaning or definition I know of.
    If “no” then, using the same sound logic, how is my belief that there is no god a “religious” belief? -again, you will have to define what you mean by "religious”.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:13
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    no its a religious belief!

Is my belief that there is no teacup orbiting Mars a “religious” belief?
    If “yes” then define what you mean by “religious” because your meaning certainly does not conform to any meaning or definition I know of.
    If “no” then, using the same sound logic, how is my belief that there is no god a “religious” belief? -again, you will have to define what you mean by "religious”.
    Do you believe there are no satellites orbiting Mars, or your anus, or Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and the rest?

Define tea cup and orbiing satellite!

But then, there are no Gods, hence there are no tea-cups orbiting,,

Is this correct?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:42
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    No, there is none. Give me an example of this “evidence” that there is a god.
    nobody has ever shown me ANY evidence that there is a god.
    the inspiration of the Biblical text is evidence enough that there is a God, please explain
    Isaiah chapter 53.
  9. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:47
    the inspiration of the Biblical text is evidence enough that there is a God, please explain
    Isaiah chapter 53.
    mere “inspiration” isn't “evidence” of a god.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:55
    Isaiah chapter 53.
    Same ol' arguments eh Robbie?

Here's the refutation in a nutshell. Did Jesus perform miracles? The bible says so. Therefore, either (a) Jesus performed miracles, or (b) some guys have either lied, exaggerated or been misinformed regarding said miracles and passed that on as truths. Now, we know that people can and do lie or exaggerate, and that information can be garbled in transmission. We do not know that miracles take place - there are no proven examples of miracles happening. Therefore the logical explanation for the events in the bible is (b).

That does not, of course, mean that the true explanation for the miraculous events in the bible is (b), but it does mean that one is required to perform a leap of faith to accept them. A rational person simply cannot get to your position solely based on the evidence that the bible presents. "Quod erat demonstrandum, baby." (10 points for the source of the quote)
  11. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Do you believe there are no satellites orbiting Mars, or your anus, or Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and the rest?

Define tea cup and orbiing satellite!

But then, there are no Gods, hence there are no tea-cups orbiting,,

Is this correct?
    “...Do you believe there are no satellites orbiting Mars, or your anus, or Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune and the rest? ...”

No because there is EVIDENCE of these things.

“...Define tea cup and orbiing satellite! ...”

why?

“....But then, there are no Gods, hence there are no tea-cups orbiting,,

Is this correct? ...”

No. Are you implying that I said/implied this? If, so, I didn't.

My reasoning is OBVIOUSLY:

1, There is no evidence that there is a teacup orbiting Mars therefore there is no rational reason to believe that there is a teacup orbiting Mars therefore I do not believe that there is a teacup orbiting Mars.

Using the same logic as above:

2, There is no evidence that there is a god therefore there is no rational reason to believe that there is a god therefore I do not believe that there is a god.

-which is why I do not believe there is a god -THAT is what I am saying.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 21:22
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Same ol' arguments eh Robbie?

Here's the refutation in a nutshell. Did Jesus perform miracles? The bible says so. Therefore, either (a) Jesus performed miracles, or (b) some guys have either lied, exaggerated or been misinformed regarding said miracles and passed that on as truths. Now, we know that people [b]can and do
    lie or exaggerate, and ...[text shortened]... the bible presents. "Quod erat demonstrandum, baby." (10 points for the source of the quote)[/b]
    you noobs have not even attempted to explain Isaiah chapter 53, you scardy cats!
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 22:02
    you noobs have not even attempted to explain Isaiah chapter 53, you scardy cats!
    I'm still waiting on a reply as to what next after i read John 1-12. I read it 24hrs ago!!
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 22:18
    Isaiah chapter 53.
    Be careful: "In 1263 at the Disputation of Barcelona, Nahmanides expressed the Jewish viewpoint of Isaiah 53 and other matters regarding Christian belief about Jesus's role in Hebrew Scripture. The disputation was awarded in his favor by James I of Aragon, and as a result the Dominican Order compelled him to flee from his home country for the remainder of his life. Passages of Talmud were also censored. In a number of other disputations, debate about this passage resulted in forced conversions, deportations, and the burning of Jewish religious texts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_53

Worth a look, for an alternative interpretation.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Apr '11 22:19
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Dull!? I'm sure it'll be spiffing! New threads every day about some Bible verse or other, e-praying, bullying underdog religions, confession threads, threads about how science is evil/how to spot an evil scientist. Let us not forget other worthy topics like which version of the Bible is best, who does God hate the most: homosexuals or atheists? and testimonies ...[text shortened]... l-on fundie-fest

Yeah it'll be the best damned forum evah! ;]

[hidden]not![/hidden]
    Yeah, and Primus sucks!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree