1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 10:58
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How is that not a theist?

Your definition of theism seems reductive. Theism, to me, is the belief in at least one deity.
    I'll try to explain better. Theism and deism both believe in a deity.

The distinction is that deists reject the supernatural element. They believe God set the rules of the universe and doesn't intervene. Theists believe God is still active in the universe, carries out miracles, revelations, inspires texts etc, all of which deists reject.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 11:021 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes I think one could use the word "deist". But "theist" is OK too: here's a definition: "One who believes in the existence of a god or gods."
    This is true, but if i were to ask you -

Do you believe God intervenes in the Universe to carry out miracles and deliver instructions to people via inspired texts?

Unless i'm completely barking up the wrong tree, you would say no. Here's a definition of deism -

belief in the existence of a god on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation ( distinguished from theism).
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 11:04
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'll try to explain better. Theism and deism both believe in a deity.

The distinction is that deists reject the supernatural element. They believe God set the rules of the universe and doesn't intervene. Theists believe God is still active in the universe, carries out miracles, revelations, inspires texts etc, all of which deists reject.
    I understand the difference, given your definition of theism. I just think the taxonomy makes more sense with having theism as an umbrella term for any belief in a deity and then deism as a branch of theism.

But now that I've looked, it seems my own taxonomy is not the usual so you are correct.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 11:13
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Do atheist consider Atheism a religion?
    I did not think they considered it a religion
    or were concerned about spirituality. So
    why are they on here? Does anyone know?
    If there are any atheist reading this, please
    get off of this forum and stop harassing us.
    there is some debate that spirituality doesn't equal religion, look into that

also if you want yes-men that would agree with everything you say i am sure you can find a fundie forum somewhere.

i personally am glad the atheists are here, even if i don't agree with some of their issues. they certainly debate better than you
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 11:20
    This is true, but if i were to ask you -

Do you believe God intervenes in the Universe to carry out miracles and deliver instructions to people via inspired texts?

Unless i'm completely barking up the wrong tree, you would say no. Here's a definition of deism -

belief in the existence of a god on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation ( distinguished from theism).
    I am using a simpler definition of "theism" than you.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 11:382 edits
    Your definition of "theism" sounds like a definition of something like "religionist theism". I do not so much "reject" the supernatural element as reject religionists' assertions about the supernatural element based on their own certitude and conjecture. Because I have no reason to believe (or nothing to act upon or gain from telling myself) that God has "set the rules of the universe", do not speculate about his "interventions", and do not base my sense that there is a God on "reason", I don't see any particular reason to call myself a "deist" and also don't see why I should surrender the word "theist" to religionist people who have conjured up a more complicated alternative definition of it to suit their interests.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 12:17
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your definition of "theism" sounds like a definition of something like "religionist theism". I do not so much "reject" the supernatural element as reject religionists' assertions about the supernatural element based on their own certitude and conjecture. Because I have no reason to believe (or nothing to act upon or gain from telling myself) that God has "set th ...[text shortened]... d up a more complicated alternative definition of it to suit their interests.
    Interesting. Do you have a link to a thread where you talk about your beliefs?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 12:30
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Interesting. Do you have a link to a thread where you talk about your beliefs?
    Thread 135840

There is some tangential bickering with robbie in about the 2nd seventh of the thread, after which twitehead and others subject my stance to some interesting scrutiny.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 12:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Thread 135840

There is some tangential bickering with robbie in about the 2nd seventh of the thread, after which twitehead and others subject my stance to some interesting scrutiny.
    Thanks. I also find that your position would find it hard to argue against the ignostic argument that such a concept of God would be meaningless. But this is probably not the thread for that discussion.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:20
    Struth.
  12. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    It's people like yourself that makes fundamentalism dangerous.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:35
    Good riddance.
  14. St. Peter's
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 15:51
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    There's your problem, you've been using Time for Chess when Red Hot pawn is clearly superior
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '11 17:35
    Originally posted by Doward
    There's your problem, you've been using Time for Chess when Red Hot pawn is clearly superior
    time for chess is the greener way to go!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree