1. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 21:36
    Nice simpe inteeligent answrs would be good. I've seen some of the replies to other things and they get a bit lonf winded and confusing. Anyone to start this off?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 22:00
    Originally posted by medullah
    Nice simpe inteeligent answrs would be good. I've seen some of the replies to other things and they get a bit lonf winded and confusing. Anyone to start this off?
    To teach you how to type?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 22:02
    We're here because we're here. There is no reason. That's just the way it happened to turn out.
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 22:42
    Because we're not somewhere else!
  5. Standard memberxs
    Incroyant
    tinyurl.com/ksdwu
    Moves
    21 Mar '05 23:361 edit
    My questions is where are we ?
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 00:001 edit
    If "why" = "what series of causes led to our being here", then I'd say it was the result of the mechanism of evolution acting on living organisms as their environment changed over several billion of years.

If "why" = "what is the meaning of our existence," then I don't know, but the question may be poorly posed.
  7. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 00:03
    To worship and serve GOD, is the reason we are here
  8. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 01:32
    Originally posted by xs
    My questions is [b]where are we ?[/b]
    We have absolutely no idea where we are. Sorry.
  9. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 09:54
    If the question has no answer, then the question is meaningless and thus the answer will be meaningless. If the answer is meaningless then the question has no answer.

Quite simple really.

But Rwingett is right - we're here because we're here...
  10. DonationPawnokeyhole
    Krackpot Kibitzer
    Right behind you...
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 10:24
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    If the question has no answer, then the question is meaningless and thus the answer will be meaningless. If the answer is meaningless then the question has no answer.

Quite simple really.

But Rwingett is right - we're here because we're here...
    I think there are actually three relevant questions here:

(1) Why something rather than nothing?
    (2) Why is there what there is, and not something else?
    (3) Why does reality spawn creatures who can contemplate (1) and (2)?

Answering (1), (2), and (3) would implicitly answer the question "Why are we here?"

Perhaps all these questions are meaningness. Or perhaps the questions are all meaningful but lack answers.

11. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 15:21
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    To worship and serve GOD, is the reason we are here
    Oh my, another one of these posts.

WHY would an omnipotent being feel it necessary to create a race of worshippers? Is that omnipotent being that insecure, or are you guys just projecting your own insecurities?

12. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 15:53
    It's funny (haha) that only humans are so concerned about why we are here.

If a question has no answer, why fret?

Live your life with respect and compassion for yourself and for others, including those who are difficult. That's the 'why?' of why are we here.

13. Standard memberAlcra
    Lazy Sod
    Everywhere
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 15:581 edit
    I am here because my parents were careless 🙂
  14. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 16:32
    Originally posted by eagles54
    It's funny (haha) that only humans are so concerned about why we are here.

If a question has no answer, why fret?

Live your life with respect and compassion for yourself and for others, including those who are difficult. That's the 'why?' of why are we here.

I think this depends upon how broadly you define "humans." I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've read here and there, some later hominid speices may have had death rituals which opens up a reasonable possibility that they too wondered "why are we here?". By 'humans' do you only mean homo sapiens sapiens or do you extend this to mean homo erectus and homo sapiens neanderthalensis?

If these other species actually questioned their purpose, even if only in some rudimentary fashion, then I think it is sobering that there are none left, and the Earth just continues spinning.
  15. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    22 Mar '05 16:46
    Originally posted by telerion
    By 'humans' do you only mean homo sapiens sapiens or do you extend this to mean homo erectus and homo sapiens neanderthalensis?

If these other species actually questioned their purpose, even if only in some rudimentary fashion, then I think it is sobering that there are none left, and the Earth just continues spinning.
    I would certainly include homo erectus and homo sapiens neanderthalensis within my statement. Thank you for raising this point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree