1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 04:42
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    You end up asking me the same question several times in a row and it doesn't really serve to advance the dialogue.
    You sidestepping the question is what's holding us back. While you're at it, what do 'third generation poverty poor Texans in trailer parks' have to do with me?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 04:47
    Sweden can arrest a racist blogger, and through default positions of mass ostracism and legal fines and sanctions, as well as loss of employment, etc [...] And you are OK with those 'free' nations. We're good here.
    What makes you think I am "OK" with this? You seem to be talking past me at some kind of mass of people you disagree with rather than talking to me.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 05:16
    I'm actually not trying to have line for line debates with another person. I do not have any desire to go back and look at specifically what you said -- sometimes, what I say is there to just help elucidate my own position.

I am not going to go back and reread everything you said and then try to make new answers that are specifically and exclusively relevant to you.

I guess there was some misunderstanding -- I treat these occasions to type out things and issues important to me, and I view these issues rather braodly.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 05:20
    Originally posted by @fmf
    What makes you think I am "OK" with this? You seem to be talking past me at some kind of mass of people you disagree with rather than talking to me.
    So just state your positions, dude. It's OK for you to even say "Yeah, Jacob, I agree with you on that. Here are some other things I think about that." I am not here trying to establish clashes with you exclusively, I am here to express myself.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 05:26
    So just state your positions, dude. It's OK for you to even say "Yeah, Jacob, I agree with you on that. Here are some other things I think about that." I am not here trying to establish clashes with you exclusively, I am here to express myself.
    You seem to be here to talk about a huge faceless stereotyped mass of fellow humans for whom you have sneering "funky banter" contempt. And you seem to be here to talk AT me as if I am their spokesman. I don't think Holocaust deniers should go to gaol. What do people in a Texas trailer park have to do with me or anything I have said?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 05:30
    I am not going to go back and reread everything you said and then try to make new answers that are specifically and exclusively relevant to you.
    Then I suggest you don't address any of your posts to anyone. Just pontificate or regurgitate stuff from books. Let others here have the conversations. I take it you aren't going to retract the suggestion that I am anti-Semitic, then?
  7. S. Korea
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 05:37
    (1) I thought my last message re: Anne Frank clearly showed I have no interest in pressing that charge.

(2) I interact with the forum freely and I'd always be glad for other people to do the same.

(3) I guess I'll have to keep it in the back of my mind that if I ever quote FNF I am expected to keep the scope as narrow and direct as possible. I'm OK with that. COrrect me if I am wrong.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 06:071 edit
    I thought my last message re: Anne Frank clearly showed I have no interest in pressing that charge [that you are anti-Semitic].
    As a matter of interest, do you apologize for suggesting such a thing?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 06:08
    I interact with the forum freely and I'd always be glad for other people to do the same.
    How is this being impinged in any way?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 06:12
    I guess I'll have to keep it in the back of my mind that if I ever quote FNF I am expected to keep the scope as narrow and direct as possible.
    If you quote me and pretend to be talking to me and pretend to be talking to me about what I've said ~ while you are in fact dishing up enormous straw men about things like anti-Semitism and Texas trailer parks ~ then you need to keep at the front of your mind, not the back, that you will get called out for it.
  11. S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 00:20
    You take these sorts of things very seriously. So I will say yes, I am sorry that I asked you if you were anti-semitic.

I do not think that I am making strawman but merely elucidating my position. Of course, I try to sound persuasive, and it's not like I am always being 100% as perfectly charitable to the position of my opponents as is always appropriate. I am a sinner, after all. But I think you are being too harsh about this.

But, if this forum has a higher standard than others, and the interactions are taken to be more serious, I'll try to adapt to that practice.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 00:371 edit
    You take these sorts of things very seriously. So I will say yes, I am sorry that I asked you if you were anti-semitic.
    No, I don't. I was chased around by a miffed Christian who was calling me a paedophile for a few weeks a couple of years back. The whole thing reflected on him, not me. As is the case now with you.

And, of course, you didn't ask me if I was anti-Semitic; you stated that It sounded to you like anti-Semitism could be why I was disagreeing with you about something or other, making it akin to your other snide "funky banter"

That makes your apology rather mealy-mouthed, doesn't it. 😉
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 00:41
    I do not think that I am making strawman but merely elucidating my position.
    The question is, what do "Texas trailer parks" have to do with anything I have said? You seemed to extrapolate "Texas trailer parks" and gaoling Holocaust deniers from my position. You still haven't explained. Dismissing the way I press you for an answer as "harsh" isn't an explanation.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 01:04
    They only have something to do with what I believe. I like to write about what I believe. Speaking generally advanced the conversations better.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 01:27
    They only have something to do with what I believe. I like to write about what I believe. Speaking generally advanced the conversations better.
    Yes, but how did you extrapolate condoning "Texas trailer parks" and gaoling Holocaust deniers from my position? You were responding to my position were you not? You and I were in a conversation were we not? Or were you just propagandizing generally about people with whom you disagree and using posts addressed to me to pretend you were discussing what I had said?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree