1. S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 01:42
    LOL, dude, why don't you just talk about positions on things!

I put things out there and you can agree with it, or idsagree with it, or say you are neutral, or do whatever you want. I say things hoping to have a conversation in a forum.

I am not here to exclusively interact with you and if I say something that isn't specifically applicable to you I am not necessarily strawmanning you.

Why can't you drop this? What don't you understand?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 01:48
    Originally posted by @jacob-verville
    I am not here to exclusively interact with you and if I say something that isn't specifically applicable to you I am not necessarily strawmanning you.
    Perhaps you should not use Reply & Quote then if you're just talking past people.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 01:52
    What don't you understand?
    If you don't really believe in freedom, per se, and you don't really believe in human rights, per se, how do you think a post-colonial, post-military dictatorship developing country like the one I live in should move forward and promote social justice in the wake of what it has been through and in the face of the huge challenges that exist? I don't understand how your Alex Jones-esque polemic stuff matches up with the real world.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 02:46
    (1) I like to give long, fun answers. Sometimes that involves talking about things not necessarily super specifically pertinent. This is the last time I'll acknowledge something like "why are you mentioning X or Y?!" unless I think your question is valid. I'm just not going to bother with this anymore.

(2) I'll give you an extensive answer on that question. It deserves its own thread, honestly, and perahsp that's what I'll do.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 02:51
    I like to give long, fun answers. Sometimes that involves talking about things not necessarily super specifically pertinent. This is the last time I'll acknowledge something like "why are you mentioning X or Y?!" unless I think your question is valid. I'm just not going to bother with this anymore.
    Yes, either you should not use Reply & Quote if you're just regurgitating some polemic from an 'excellent' essay you read somewhere - regardless of what you are purporting to be replying to - or just don't bother at all.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 02:55
    I'll give you an extensive answer on that question. It deserves its own thread, honestly, and perahsp that's what I'll do.
    Done.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Jan '18 16:341 edit
    Originally posted by @fmf
    If you don't really believe in freedom, per se, and you don't really believe in human rights, per se, how do you think a post-colonial, post-military dictatorship developing country like the one I live in should move forward and promote social justice in the wake of what it has been through and in the face of the huge challenges that exist? I don't understand how your Alex Jones-esque polemic stuff matches up with the real world.
    Bump (then) for Jacob-Verville. Maybe you will elect to answer the question here after all.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Feb '18 21:37
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    Ok, this video is self-serving in a way. No, hear me out.

It assumes that ALL religion is this way. It is not. Or at least it SHOULD not be.

I've talked in this forum about why Christians should not hold most of these views. Yes, I am a political liberal. I happen to agree with 90% of this video. The atheist doesn't get that no, it doesn't have ...[text shortened]... ccept it all, or reject it all, they assume it is ALL insignificant. And that is just not true.
    I just got around to viewing this amazing video, very bright girl whether you like her or not.

The thing about religion that gets atheists is this (among other things of course): Two religions, each one claiming to be THE religion of god, start fighting each other. You say that is only MEN fighting MEN. What about the part where for thousands of years all the religious based carnage goes on and ZERO from the alleged god? If it is only men why is there no response from THE god in charge? You would think it would want to make a correction and tell people what is what, not allowing dozens of religion each one at the throats of the rest, Hindu's fighting Muslims, Muslims fighting Christians.

So why is there ZERO response from THE god in charge?

If a teacher sees three or four kids fighting, she comes up and yanks the combatants apart and stops the fight. Why does that not happen with THE god?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 15:29
    I'll give you an extensive answer on that question. It deserves its own thread, honestly, and perahsp that's what I'll do.
    Here it is again. You can post your answer here or on the thread I started as prompted by you.

10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '18 15:37
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I just got around to viewing this amazing video, very bright girl whether you like her or not.

The thing about religion that gets atheists is this (among other things of course): Two religions, each one claiming to be THE religion of god, start fighting each other. You say that is only MEN fighting MEN. What about the part where for thousands of years ...[text shortened]... es up and yanks the combatants apart and stops the fight. Why does that not happen with THE god?
    My god is better than your god and I'm going to kick your ass to prove it.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 14:59
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    My god is better than your god and I'm going to kick your ass to prove it.
    Bully for you. I don't 'have' a god, I don't need one, don't want one, wish it would go away and leave us the hell alone. Assuming there is one at all, which I doubt with extreme prejudice.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '18 16:541 edit
    Bully for you. I don't 'have' a god, I don't need one, don't want one, wish it would go away and leave us the hell alone. Assuming there is one at all, which I doubt with extreme prejudice.
    C'mon sonhouse.

It was meant as a depiction of the laughably absurd mindset held by those you depicted in your post.
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 02:18
    So why is there ZERO response from THE god in charge? ...
    God says to kill your enemies. How is that not responsive.

Maybe you think the all-mighty god doesn't need you. Now you know better.

THE god in charge. Like there is a panoply.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 02:27

The thing about religion that gets atheists is this (among other things of course): Two religions, each one claiming to be THE religion of god, start fighting each other. You say that is only MEN fighting MEN. What about the part where for thousands of years ...[text shortened]... es up and yanks the combatants apart and stops the fight. Why does that not happen with THE god?
    So would you suddenly believe in a religion if God himself TOLD you to? Maybe yea, maybe nay, but God does not want puppets. God wants those who make a FREE WILL choice for him. It's easy to say you believe in a god who physically holds you over the abyss threatening to throw you in. Harder to believe in one who is more subtle and preaches love, even for those who refuse him. However, Judgement still awaits. And your future is squarely ON YOU to decide.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '18 02:331 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne to sonhouse
    So would you suddenly believe in a religion if God himself TOLD you to? [...] God wants those who make a FREE WILL choice for him. It's easy to say you believe in a god who physically holds you over the abyss threatening to throw you in. Harder to believe in one who is more subtle and preaches love, even for those who refuse him.
    Didn't you say that you turned to your god figure because he sent angels to you who then spoke to you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree