1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 13:06
    This is a hypothetical scenario. Let us suppose he did cause the flood, and the flood happened exactly as portrayed in the bible. I would like to discuss several issues

1. Why did god need to wipe all mankind except the Noah clan?
    2. Was there nobody else worth saving?
    3. God created and he saw that it was good. Why did he had to destroy most of what he thought was good?
    4. There are several difficulties in reestablishing a working ecology after a worldwide flood. Did god thought of those difficulties or did he acted on an impulse? And if he did thought of those, did he find acceptable to bend the rules he set in the first place so that the ecosystem be reestablished?
    5. If you think of anymore bugs in the flood plan, feel free to present them.

For the sake of this thread, we are discussing from the perspective that it already happened. The purpose is to think about what did god had in mind.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 13:21
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    This is a hypothetical scenario. Let us suppose he did cause the flood, and the flood happened exactly as portrayed in the bible. I would like to discuss several issues

3. God created and he saw that it was good. Why did he had to destroy most of what h ...[text shortened]... he perspective that it already happened. The purpose is to think about what did god had in mind.
    He had the same idea that Adolf Hitler had: Wiping out the ones he didn't like.
    Adolf Hitler failed where god succeded.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 13:301 edit
    For the lulz

Edit- This is not a joke. Any other reason would have critical flaws for an omniscient, omnipotent, morally perfect god.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 13:45
    5. If you think of anymore bugs in the flood plan, feel free to present them.
    There are many issues to do with the flood that make it a really complex thing to carry out. But hey God can do miracles cant he? The real question then is are small miracles easier for him than large ones?
    Obviously God could have achieved his goal much easier by simply striking everyone except Noah and family dead. He managed to do it to the Egyptian first borns. He could have spread a plague and made Noah and family immune. Theoretically he could have achieve all that by simply changing one gene in Noah and one gene in some nasty virus. Now there is a minimal input miracle!

The actual complexities of the flood itself include:
    1. Where does the water come from and go to?
    2. How do you deal with all the fish.
    3. What happens to diseases, molds, and all the other hidden forms of life in this world that would not have survived a flood? For example did the ark have a pair of mosquitoes on it carrying the malaria parasite?
    4. If the ark only contained a pair of each 'kind' of animal then there must have been fairly rapid evolution for them to spread out all over the world and then evolve to suit their environment in the relatively short period since the flood.
    5. What about all the plants!!!
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 13:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    For the lulz
    can't have been for the lulz seeing as he had to work like a slave to make the world self-sustainable again.

he had to make plants grow again(assuming noah brought seeds with him ) in a washed up soil. he had to change some of the fish to sweet water fish again, after he cleared the rivers and lakes of all that salt. he had to make noah and his clan incest each other like rabbits to make a lot of little hummies. he had to make the animals not hungry until the trees and bushes grow back (btw, they were all vegetarians in case you are wondering.), he had to figure a way to obliterate all dinosaurs etc.

it seems a lot of trouble just for the lulz.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:06
    can't have been for the lulz seeing as he had to work like a slave to make the world self-sustainable again.

he had to make plants grow again(assuming noah brought seeds with him ) in a washed up soil. he had to change some of the fish to sweet water fish again, after he cleared the rivers and lakes of all that salt. he had to make noah and his clan ince ...[text shortened]... o figure a way to obliterate all dinosaurs etc.

it seems a lot of trouble just for the lulz.
    There is no such thing as "hard work" for an omnipotent God.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:07
    There is no such thing as "hard work" for an omnipotent God.
    He took the 7th day off after the creation, didn't he? He was indeed tired.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:151 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    He took the 7th day off after the creation, didn't he? He was indeed tired.
    For the lulz, not because he needed it.

He's omnipotent so he can make everything AND relax at the same time. But he can also just chill out for a whole day if he wants to.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:19
    Cuz he wuz pissed.
  10. Standard memberzozozozo
    Thread Killing Chimp
    In your retina!:D
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:20
    This is a hypothetical scenario. Let us suppose he did cause the flood,
    Lets first suppose that ''he'' exists.😉

I think there can be alot more issues, since its just a fairy tale some1 thought of a long while ago.
    i might have another one:
    - What about fisherboats? Why didnt ppl in those survive? I can expect those boats to float and resist the flood better then a HUGE boat with a sh**load of animals and other stuff on it.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:20
    For the lulz, not because he needed it.

He's omnipotent so he can make everything AND relax at the same time. But he can also just chill out for a whole day if he wants to.
    Not according to the bible. He rested alright.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:211 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Not according to the bible. He rested alright.
    The bible doesn't say WHY he rested. Nice try, though.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:42
    The bible doesn't say WHY he rested. Nice try, though.
    He rested because he needed the rest. I just read the bible. It is vague on the reason though, like many other things. We have to invent the reasons for ourselves.
  14. At the Revolution
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:44

3. God created and he saw that it was good. Why did he had to destroy most of what h ...[text shortened]... he perspective that it already happened. The purpose is to think about what did god had in mind.
    I think the flood was a metaphor and a way to explain away the fossil record.
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    31 Mar '09 14:45
    Suppose I should give a reason for my post above.

If God did the flood, he would have just killed those who refused to accept Him. The flood was nonexistent, therefore, used by the Christian evangelical-predecessors to provide thin reasoning for the record.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree