1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 14:29
    Why do some soldiers...

Why do some soldiers in war pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance in their foxholes...

for that matter, even civilians faced with medical or financial advertsities in everyday life?

2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 14:54
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Why do some soldiers...

Why do some soldiers in war pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance in their foxholes...

for that matter, even civilians faced with medical or financial advertsities in everyday life?

.[/b]
    Because they have an irrational belief in the existence of a deity that might give a damn.

A better question might be " why do you persist in asking such stupid questions?"...
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 15:48
    Originally posted by googlefudge

Because they have an irrational belief in the existence of a deity that might give a damn.

A better question might be " why do you persist in asking such stupid questions?"...
    "Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

One heckuva promise, don't you think? Anybody else other than a supreme deity capable of this promise?

4. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 16:07
    [b]Why do some soldiers...

.[/b]
    It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an intellectual stance based on science, evolution and common sense. As Richard Dawkins says, there is still the 1% chance that a god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.
  5. Joined
    10 Jun '11
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 16:27
    "Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

One heckuva promise, don't you think? Anybody else other than a supreme deity capable of this promise?

a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to a deity of one sort or another and left still heavy laden, or even more so.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 17:16

To bad there are no supreme deity's to back up such a promise. And of course a loving supreme deity would give people rest without being asked.

Interestingly the promise includes a claim (that there exists something called an immortal soul) that can get 'conflicted'. Oddly enough no theist is willing to discuss what this might be.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 18:08
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to a deity of one sort or another and left still heavy laden, or even more so.
    Christ isn't making an appeal to any deity, GB has not cited a reference to any appeal
    to any deity, he is citing a teaching of Jesus Christ, you do understand the difference?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:15
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an in ...[text shortened]... god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.
    Well stated.

9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    To bad there are no supreme deity's to back up such a promise. And of course a loving supreme deity would give people rest without being asked.

Interestingly the promise includes a claim (that there exists something called an immortal soul) that can get 'conflicted'. Oddly enough no theist is willing to discuss what this might be.
    As always, I respect your right to an opinion.

10. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:31
    As always, I respect your right to an opinion.

And as always, no theist wants to discuss what exactly a 'soul' is despite it being central to their religion.

The promise you quoted earlier is an empty promise as it refers to an undefined 'soul'. Unless we know what this 'soul' is that is going to get some rest, then who cares about the promise?
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:32
    Originally posted by Pianoman1
    It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an in ...[text shortened]... god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.
    As Richard Dawkins says, there is still the 1% chance that a god exists!

It's not 1%... It's not even close to 1%.

A 1% chance that god exists would be huge compared to the actual maximum possible
    chance given the available evidence.

The probability that A god or gods exist is a vanishingly small fraction of 1%.

And that probability is divided up between all possible gods.

So in you moments before certain death...

Who might you pray to?
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:38

A 1% chance that god exists would be huge compared to the actual maximum possible

And that proba ...[text shortened]... n all possible gods.

Who might you pray to?
    To whom, then, do the soldiers pray to?

13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And as always, no theist wants to discuss what exactly a 'soul' is despite it being central to their religion.

The promise you quoted earlier is an empty promise as it refers to an undefined 'soul'. Unless we know what this 'soul' is that is going to get some rest, then who cares about the promise?
    And what do you and your family care about?

14. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:42

And that prob ...[text shortened]... ween all possible gods.

Who might you pray to?
    and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    , 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
    Neeeeext!
  15. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 19:46
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    , 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
    Neeeeext!
    How exactly do you arrive at that number?