Why do some soldiers...

Why do some soldiers...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

Why do some soldiers...

Why do some soldiers in war pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance in their foxholes...

for that matter, even civilians faced with medical or financial advertsities in everyday life?

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Why do some soldiers...

Why do some soldiers in war pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance in their foxholes...

for that matter, even civilians faced with medical or financial advertsities in everyday life?

.[/b]
Because they have an irrational belief in the existence of a deity that might give a damn.

A better question might be " why do you persist in asking such stupid questions?"...

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by googlefudge

Because they have an irrational belief in the existence of a deity that might give a damn.

A better question might be " why do you persist in asking such stupid questions?"...
"Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

One heckuva promise, don't you think? Anybody else other than a supreme deity capable of this promise?

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
10 Jun 12

[b]Why do some soldiers...

.[/b]
It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an intellectual stance based on science, evolution and common sense. As Richard Dawkins says, there is still the 1% chance that a god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
10 Jun 12

"Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

One heckuva promise, don't you think? Anybody else other than a supreme deity capable of this promise?

a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to a deity of one sort or another and left still heavy laden, or even more so.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 12

To bad there are no supreme deity's to back up such a promise. And of course a loving supreme deity would give people rest without being asked.

Interestingly the promise includes a claim (that there exists something called an immortal soul) that can get 'conflicted'. Oddly enough no theist is willing to discuss what this might be.

rc

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to a deity of one sort or another and left still heavy laden, or even more so.
Christ isn't making an appeal to any deity, GB has not cited a reference to any appeal
to any deity, he is citing a teaching of Jesus Christ, you do understand the difference?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by Pianoman1
It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an in ...[text shortened]... god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.
Well stated.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
To bad there are no supreme deity's to back up such a promise. And of course a loving supreme deity would give people rest without being asked.

Interestingly the promise includes a claim (that there exists something called an immortal soul) that can get 'conflicted'. Oddly enough no theist is willing to discuss what this might be.
As always, I respect your right to an opinion.

Cape Town

Moves
10 Jun 12

As always, I respect your right to an opinion.

And as always, no theist wants to discuss what exactly a 'soul' is despite it being central to their religion.

The promise you quoted earlier is an empty promise as it refers to an undefined 'soul'. Unless we know what this 'soul' is that is going to get some rest, then who cares about the promise?

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by Pianoman1
It's a primal urge embedded in our DNA to look to a god to explain this life. When the chips are down and our backs are against the wall, however stringent our atheism may be it is not surprising that we give it a go, just in case. After all, there is no proof one way or the other about God, simply faith, belief and intellectual rigour. My atheism is an in ...[text shortened]... god exists! Facing certain death I'm sure I might pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance.
As Richard Dawkins says, there is still the 1% chance that a god exists!

It's not 1%... It's not even close to 1%.

A 1% chance that god exists would be huge compared to the actual maximum possible
chance given the available evidence.

The probability that A god or gods exist is a vanishingly small fraction of 1%.

And that probability is divided up between all possible gods.

So in you moments before certain death...

Who might you pray to?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

A 1% chance that god exists would be huge compared to the actual maximum possible

And that proba ...[text shortened]... n all possible gods.

Who might you pray to?
To whom, then, do the soldiers pray to?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
And as always, no theist wants to discuss what exactly a 'soul' is despite it being central to their religion.

The promise you quoted earlier is an empty promise as it refers to an undefined 'soul'. Unless we know what this 'soul' is that is going to get some rest, then who cares about the promise?
And what do you and your family care about?

rc

Moves
10 Jun 12

And that prob ...[text shortened]... ween all possible gods.

Who might you pray to?
and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
, 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
Neeeeext!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Jun 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
, 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
Neeeeext!
How exactly do you arrive at that number?