1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    You asked, "how are you going to explain away all those that have
    overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an accurate knowledge of the Christ and his teachings?"

Well the answer is that we no more have to "explain away" that than we have to "explain away" a whole host of non-Christ related ways or reasons people "overco ...[text shortened]... religion is real, therefore a call for "empirical evidence" is a red herring, I think.
    you are entitled to your opinion, the fact of the matter remains, the assertion was
    made that people have come to Christ and remained 'laden', clearly its not the case for
    all persons and many have been helped, through an application of Christian teaching to
    overcome their burdens and have been refreshed. references to Mohammedans or
    breaking free from 'organised religion', whatever that means negates this how? that is
    correct, its irrelevant.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:151 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you are entitled to your opinion, the fact of the matter remains, the assertion was
    made that people have come to Christ and remained 'laden', clearly its not the case for
    all persons and many have been helped, through an application of Christian teaching to
    overcome their burdens and have been refreshed. references to Mohammedans or
    breakin rganised religion', whatever that means negates this how? that is
    correct, its irrelevant.
    Not all people who are Christians "overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances" because of their religion. Talk of "empirical evidence" is a red herring.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:171 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not all people who are Christians "overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances" because of their religion. Talk of "empirical evidence" is a red herring.
    No one is making the claim that it is exclusive to christians, another logical fallacy, try
    sticking to the script or continue to build straw houses, big bad wolf will be along any
    minute.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:20
    No one is making the claim that it is exclusive to christians...
    That turning one's life around is not "exclusive to Christians" was my point exactly.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    That turning one's life around is not "exclusive to Christians" was my point exactly.
    and who was claiming that it was? no one, make it up as you go along!
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:25
    empirical evidence, nil! Indeed how are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an accurate knowledge of the Christ and his teachings, hmmm?
    Well the answer is that we no more have to "explain away" your religion as a catalyst for change than we have to "explain away" a whole host of non-Christ related catalysts or ways or reasons people "overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances".
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well the answer is that we no more have to "explain away" your religion as a catalyst for change than we have to "explain away" a whole host of non-Christ related catalysts or ways or reasons people "overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances".
    again this is more irrelevancy, the assertion was made not with regard to anything
    other than the teachings of the Christ and its efficacy for helping people over come all
    manner of ills, citing the teachings of others is relevant how? does that explain why
    Christian teaching is effective or otherwise in helping people overcome their burdens,
    hardly, man, you have to reel you people in constantly.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:341 edit
    again this is more irrelevancy, the assertion was made not with regard to anything
    other than the teachings of the Christ and its efficacy for helping people over come all
    manner of ills, citing the teachings of others is relevant how? does that explain why
    Christian teaching is effective or otherwise in helping people overcome their burdens,
    I am inclined to think their Christian beliefs were simply a crutch. Even if prayers were a successful crutch in a dire situation, it says nothing objective at all about the reality of what they believed in or even the content of the prayers. So Christians getting a fillip from praying does not need to be "explained away" any more than any other emotional crutch needs to be.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:39
    lets say you chance upon a protein at 1x10^113, what next? lets put it in perspective,
    shall we, it is known that some proteins serve as structural materials and others as
    enzymes. The latter speed up needed chemical reactions in the cell. Without such help,
    the cell would die. Not just a few, but 2,000 proteins serving as enzymes are needed ...[text shortened]...

I think we can agree an outrageously small probability. Back of the net kidz! nom nom nom!
    Could you explain to me how you arrive at this number of 1x10^113?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    I ma inclined to think their Christian beliefs were simply a crutch. Even if prayers were a successful crutch in a dire situation, it says nothing objective at all about the reality of what they believed in or even the content of the prayers. So Christians getting a fillip from praying does not need to be "explained away" any more than any other emotional crutch needs to be.
    Here is the verse again, his time from the New world translation,

(Matthew 11:28-30) . . .Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will
    refresh you.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and
    lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for your souls.  For my yoke is kindly and
    my load is light.”

where does this scripture provide the basis for the assertion that prayers are a crutch,
    if you please.
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:42
    He has explained it to you robbie you are ust not listening, againšŸ˜ 
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:44
    where does this scripture provide the basis for the assertion that prayers are a crutch,
    if you please.
    I am not claiming that the literature of your religion supports my claim that the literature is a crutch. Why would I want or need to quote the Bible to support what I am saying?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:02
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not claiming that the literature of your religion supports my claim that the literature is a crutch. Why would I want or need to quote the Bible to support what I am saying?
    because that is what was under discussion and which fomented your now ludicrous and
    absurd assertions of 'crutch', emotional or otherwise. The claim of efficacy was made
    with regard to a specific reference to this verse, quoted by GB and commented upon by
    Viod spirit, that you somehow now seek to distance yourself from that fact is rather
    telling and i predict that the usual bickering will now ensue.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:13
    because that is what was under discussion and which fomented your now ludicrous and
    absurd assertions of 'crutch', emotional or otherwise. The claim of efficacy was made
    with regard to a specific reference to this verse, quoted by GB and commented upon by
    Viod spirit,
    That religious people may well be using prayer as a crutch [which could simply be replaced by some other crutch, depending on the circumstances and problems involved] is not a "ludicrous and absurd assertion". "Specific reference to [a] verse" in the Bible is neither here nor there.
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:141 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And apparently you believe it is something more, but are reluctant to say what because you know such a discussion might destroy the myth.
    Why waste each other's time if we're both merely temporal bags of skin and bones, signinifying nothing of significance and going nowhere?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree