1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:15
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    empirical evidence, nil!
    What "empirical evidence" are you looking for?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    That religious people may well be using prayer as a crutch [which could simply be replaced by some other crutch, depending on the circumstances and problems involved] is not a "ludicrous and absurd assertion". "Specific reference to [a] verse" in the Bible is neither here nor there.
    it is within the context of Christs words in Matthew cited by GB and commented upon by Void spirit.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:25
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Could you explain to me how you arrive at this number of 1x10^113?
    it was quoted from an article i read, never the less, i have posted the details to a
    mathematics forum and as soon as they get back to me, ill let you know how its arrived
    at, please be patient.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:261 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "empirical evidence" are you looking for?
    empirical evidence to substantiate the claim, what that could be, i do not know.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Why do some soldiers in war pray for forgiveness, mercy and deliverance in their foxholes... for that matter, even civilians faced with medical or financial advertsities in everyday life?

Perhaps they simply believe that "forgiveness, mercy and deliverance" are available from a supernatural source and that prayer [directed at some kind of benefactor] might secure whatever supernatural assistance they find themselves in need of.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:27
    it was quoted from an article i read, never the less, i have posted the details to a
    mathematics forum and as soon as they get back to me, ill let you know how its arrived
    at, please be patient.
    We're still waiting on your 'ocean vent pollution theory'.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:304 edits
    We're still waiting on your 'ocean vent pollution theory'.
    Some things are too advanced for mere University professors, it takes an original
    thinker to embrace these concepts, heck Einstein had the same problem.

Chemical analysis of vent waters demonstrated that the circulation of water through
    the ocean crust decreased magnesium levels and increased manganese
    concentrations in ocean water.

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/vent/revie ...

hydrothermal vents, especially formation of the mineral chlorite within the cracks
    and fissures of the vents, which removes Mg2+(magnesium ion).

http://oceanplasma.org/documents/chemistry.ht ...
    clearly a 'type', of filtering is taking place.

in contrast to the approximately 2 °C ambient water temperature at these depths,
    water emerges from these vents at temperatures ranging from 60 °C up to as
    high as 464 °C. Due to the high hydrostatic pressure at these depths,
    water may exist in either its liquid form or as a supercritical fluid at such
    temperatures. At a pressure of 218 atmospheres, the critical point of (pure) water is
    375 °C. At a depth of 3,000 meters, the hydrostatic pressure of sea water is more
    than 300 atmospheres (as salt water is denser than fresh water). At this depth and
    pressure, seawater becomes supercritical at a temperature of 407 °C .
    However the increase in salinity at this depth pushes the water closer to its critical
    point. Thus, water emerging from the hottest parts of some hydrothermal vents
    can be a supercritical fluid, possessing physical properties between those of a gas
    and those of a liquid. Besides being superheated, the water is also extremely acidic,
    often having a pH value as low as 2.8 — approximately that of vinegar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_ven ...

clearly pollutants at this heat and pressure will suffer vitrification.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:42
    Some things are too advanced for mere University professors, it takes an original
    thinker to embrace these concepts, heck Einstein had the same problem.

Chemical analysis of vent waters demonstrated that the circulation of water through
    the ocean crust decreased magnesium levels and increased manganese
    concentrations in ocean water.

http: ...[text shortened]... ydrothermal_ven ...

clearly pollutants at this heat and pressure will suffer vitrification.
    You've had a professor of ocean floor geology tell you then he knows of no such process and you can find no mention of it elsewhere on the web.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:56
    Why waste each other's time if we're both merely temporal bags of skin and bones, signinifying nothing of significance and going nowhere?

Why waste each others time if we are not? Is it because you believe we have more time to waste than I believe we do? So why are you so reluctant?
    And where does the 'signinifying nothing of significance' come in? Signifying to whom? And why would it impact on the value of our time?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 11:56
    You've had a professor of ocean floor geology tell you then he knows of no such process and you can find no mention of it elsewhere on the web.
    I also had a geologist friend who worked in Azerbaijan tell me it happens. The problem
    is finding a specific reference to pollutants, not that the process doesn't happen, clearly
    if any pollutant was subject to such extreme temperatures, extreme pressure and
    acidity, it would suffer vitrification. Plus i have found references where elements are
    filtered, magnesium for example.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 12:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps they simply believe that "forgiveness, mercy and deliverance" are available from a supernatural source and that prayer [directed at some kind of benefactor] might secure whatever supernatural assistance they find themselves in need of.
    Of course, FMF... throughout recorded human history and before. Especially well understood in the ancient world:

Sic transit gloria mundi. All men in their right minds have had the hope of something better in the life to come.

12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 12:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead

Why waste each others time if we are not? Is it because you believe we have more time to waste than I believe we do? So why are you so reluctant?
    And where does the 'signinifying nothing of significance' come in? Signifying to whom? And why would it impact on the value of our time?
    Unfortunately you have no present frame of reference and, therefore, lack all capacity to conceptualize and understand.

You already know everything. All manner of falsehood has been sucked in by the vacuum pump within your eternal soul. .
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 13:142 edits
    Sic transit gloria mundi. All men in their right minds have had the hope of something better in the life to come.
    The fact that many humans down through history have hoped for "a life to come" after death, of course, contains no objective information whatsoever about whether or not there is "a life to come".
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 13:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    The fact that many humans down through history have hoped for "a life to come" after death, of course, contains no objective information whatsoever about whether or not there is "a life to come".
    Empiricism, rationalism and belief (or faith in someone you're banking it all on) are the only three systems

of perception human beings have been given to apprehend and comprend absolute truth in this lifetime.

15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 13:492 edits
    Empiricism, rationalism and belief (or faith in someone you're banking it all on) are the only three systems of perception human beings have been given to apprehend and comprend absolute truth in this lifetime.

Be that as it may, but "empiricism, rationalism and belief" have no impact whatsoever - and most certainly can create nothing remotely akin to an "absolute truth" - about "a life to come" after this lifetime.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree