1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 21:01
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How exactly do you arrive at that number?
    You're more punch drunk than me. Good luck anyway.
  2. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    10 Jun '12 21:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    , 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
    Neeeeext!
    I respect what you say, but it's easy to be dismissive. My atheism is an intellectual stance that in no way dismisses other opinions. Like most people I went through the religious zealousness and, because of those experiences, I will not denigrate those who still hold those notions of deity. Each to his own. Who knows? Even the most deeply committed Christians still have doubt.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 00:52
    and the probability of a simple protein molecule forming at random in an organic soup?
    , 1x10^113, larger than the estimated total number of all the atoms in the universe!
    Neeeeext!
    This should put you right.

http://www.science20.com/stars_planets_life/calculating_odds_life_could_begin_chance
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 04:48
    Christ isn't making an appeal to any deity, GB has not cited a reference to any appeal
    to any deity, he is citing a teaching of Jesus Christ, you do understand the difference?
    a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to christ and left still heavy laden, or even more so.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 05:00
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    To whom, then, do the soldiers pray to?

Usually to whichever gods/ God is most prominent in their culture.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 05:00
    And what do you and your family care about?

Lots of things. Some imaginary loosely defined 'immortal soul' is not one of them.
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 05:12
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Usually to whichever gods/ God is most prominent in their culture.
    Apparently your family believes the real person is nothing more than a temporal bag of skin amd bones.

8. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 05:24
    Apparently your family believes the real person is nothing more than a temporal bag of skin amd bones.

And apparently you believe it is something more, but are reluctant to say what because you know such a discussion might destroy the myth.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 08:521 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    This should put you right.

http://www.science20.com/stars_planets_life/calculating_odds_life_could_begin_chance
    lets say you chance upon a protein at 1x10^113, what next? lets put it in perspective,
    shall we, it is known that some proteins serve as structural materials and others as
    enzymes. The latter speed up needed chemical reactions in the cell. Without such help,
    the cell would die. Not just a few, but 2,000 proteins serving as enzymes are needed
    for the cell’s activity. What are the chances of obtaining all of these at random? One
    chance in 1x10^40,000!

I think we can agree an outrageously small probability. Back of the net kidz! nom nom nom!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 08:561 edit
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    a promise is empty unless it can be delivered. many a heavy laden have come to christ and left still heavy laden, or even more so.
    empirical evidence, nil! Indeed how are you going to explain away all those that have
    overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an
    accurate knowledge of the Christ and his teachings, hmmm?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 09:101 edit
    empirical evidence, nil! Indeed how are you going to explain away all those that have
    overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an
    accurate knowledge of the Christ and his teachings, hmmm?
    One could also ask 'How are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an accurate knowledge of the teachings of the prophet Mohammed?' or one could also ask 'How are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after breaking free of organized religion?' or we could even ask 'How are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after taking up boxing/yoga/night classes etc. etc?'
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 09:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    One could also ask 'How are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an accurate knowledge of the teachings of the prophet Mohammed?' or one could also ask 'How are you going to explain away all those that have overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after br ...[text shortened]... ifficulties and adverse circumstances after taking up boxing/yoga/night classes etc. etc?'
    pity that, the assertion was not made on any other basis other than the teachings of
    Christ, try sticking to the script.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 09:59
    pity that, the assertion was not made on any other basis other than the teachings of Christ, try sticking to the script.
    Why do prayers and a relationship with God have to be through "Christ"? There's nothing in the OP about "Christ".
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Why do prayers and a relationship with God have to be through "Christ"? There's nothing in the OP about "Christ".
    second post made by op and the one that the comments with regard to promises being fulfilled or otherwise were made,

Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

a direct quotation from, Matthew 11:28
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 10:06
    second post made by op and the one that the comments with regard to promises being fulfilled or otherwise is made,

Come unto me all of you who are heavy laden (conflicted within your immortal souls) and I will give you rest."

a direct quotation from, Matthew 11:28
    You asked, "how are you going to explain away all those that have
    overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances after coming to an accurate knowledge of the Christ and his teachings?"

Well the answer is that we no more have to "explain away" that than we have to "explain away" a whole host of non-Christ related ways or reasons people "overcome all manner of difficulties and adverse circumstances".

The fact that some people have benefited from a religion does not mean that the object of that religion is real, therefore a call for "empirical evidence" is a red herring, I think.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree