1. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    19184
    16 Aug '05 02:57
    Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the variation of the same theme (THE WORD OF GOD, Why the Bible is so hated, God and the Atheist) could give a twiddle about the heathens. You know why? Because here you are, saving the masses, sending your message on a chess website forum.

    At least from what I remember, the stories of Christ was that he was amongst the most down-trodden people, helping others and spreading his word. What do all of you do? You spend your day occasionally play online chess and criticizing others who don't follow your beliefs. For those that do (and please this does not apply to all of the Christians who post here and for that matter, all Christians) I call you cowards.

    Sell your computer, become a missionary, and do something for the world to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Joined
    27 Mar '03
    Moves
    17242
    16 Aug '05 03:49
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the ...[text shortened]... to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".
    I think it worked!

    P-
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    16 Aug '05 08:14
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the ...[text shortened]... to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".
    Just because you asked, I'll tell you a little about myself. For the past 4 years I've been working for a Christian humanitarian non-profit organisation in Africa. We care for about 400 children orphaned by AIDS, a lot of them are HIV positive. Most of these kids are between the ages of 4-10. I can tell you a lot of heart-rending stories of kids who lost their parents to AIDS, but I have just as many of kids who have found new hope.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 Aug '05 08:26
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Just because you asked, I'll tell you a little about myself. For the past 4 years I've been working for a Christian humanitarian non-profit organisation in Africa. We care for about 400 children orphaned by AIDS, a lot of them are HIV positive. Most of these kids are between the ages of 4-10. I can tell you a lot of heart-rending stories of kids who lost their parents to AIDS, but I have just as many of kids who have found new hope.
    Do you teach sex education as part of your work?
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    16 Aug '05 08:28
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the ...[text shortened]... to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".
    And to answer the question which doubles as the title of your thread. I do care. I don't do this for the money. I get payed about US$160.00 a month. I can honestly say that it is because if my belief in Christ that I do what I do. If I didn't feel the need to show the love of Christ to these poor kids, I would have definitely been somewhere else in some other pursuit.

    I can only talk for myself in this matter, but how do you know that the other Christians on the forum don't financially support mission work, because that is just as essential.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    16 Aug '05 08:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Do you teach sex education as part of your work?
    If you mean eventually talking to the kids about the birds and the bees, when they reach a mature age, then yes.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 Aug '05 08:37
    Originally posted by Halitose
    If you mean eventually talking to the kids about the birds and the bees, when they reach a mature age, then yes.
    I was refering primarily to the contracting of AIDS/HIV, the risks involved in unprotected sex etc. My question was intended to find out if you were alleviating the symptoms, or trying to avert the problem itself.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    16 Aug '05 08:43
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I was refering primarily to the contracting of AIDS/HIV, the risks involved in unprotected sex etc. My question was intended to find out if you were alleviating the symptoms, or trying to avert the problem itself.
    My apologies. Misunderstood you there. AIDS prevention is also an integral part of our work.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 Aug '05 08:46
    Originally posted by Halitose
    My apologies. Misunderstood you there. AIDS prevention is also an integral part of our work.
    I commend you, I doubt I have enough love for the human race to do such work.
  10. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    19184
    16 Aug '05 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    And to answer the question which doubles as the title of your thread. I do care. I don't do this for the money. I get payed about US$160.00 a month. I can honestly say that it is because if my belief in Christ that I do what I do. If I di ...[text shortened]... ncially support mission work, because that is just as essential.
    I also commend you and the work that you do. I think you are probably one of the only people here that "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. I also think it is great that you share you belief in Christ with others. But don't you think it is possible for a non-Chrisitian to do the same charitable acts you do? Don't you think that many do already?

    Maybe not in your case but for many of the Christians who post here it appears their love of Christ comes at the expense of tearing down what all non-Christians believe. I don't know if the other Christians here donate to charities or not. I commend them if they do but my entire point is can anyone of them talk about something more interesting than what is currently being posted? It is all the same thing and every thread turns into this: Where the non-Christian has to defend what they believe. There is no peaceful co-existence and the nature of Christianity expressed here does not allow for it.
  11. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    29935
    16 Aug '05 14:06
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the ...[text shortened]... to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".
    b]Honestly, I would like to know. I, like probably everybody else, knows the standard answer you will give:

    "Because if you knew the glory of Jesus Christ you will know a closeness and a bliss that you have never known before and you will be one with Him in Heaven..."

    Something like that, right? But I honestly don't think the thumpers who post the variation of the same theme (THE WORD OF GOD, Why the Bible is so hated, God and the Atheist) could give a twiddle about the heathens. You know why? Because here you are, saving the masses, sending your message on a chess website forum.[/b]

    Good question Joe, and quite the challenge also. Here is the 'standard answer' I used on the hating of the Bible thread. I include your claim about compelling.


    You are not getting it. I DO NOT HATE THE BIBLE OR YOUR KIND BUT YOU ARE COMPELLED TO MAKE ME BELIEVE AS YOU DO.

    Yes, I am compelled, to share with you the great joy I have found in knowing and trusting in Jesus. I can't make you believe, but I can certainly make a case for why you should sincerely consider what I have to share with you. If I found a great pizza place downtown and came by to tell you about it so you could go there, would you get angry and say "YOU ARE COMPELLING ME TO GO EAT GOOD PIZZA!" Or if I found out your flight was leaving earlier than you thought and called you so you would head to the airport on time, you would be grateful, and not charge me with trying to control your life. Same idea here.

    I am supposed to be sending out resumes here at the computer, but I am neglecting that duty, feeling compelled to express 'the hope I have within me'. I care about your soul Joe, like God cares for mine. 'We love because He first loved us' (we humans). My church will not be richer if you come to know Christ, my candidates will not be elected, my wallet will not be filled. I have no personal agenda to satisfy here. But I will meet you in heaven. The angels will rejoice, God will be thrilled to write your name in the Book of Life, perhaps your family will be drawn in........

    I wonder what you would say if you found out about the saving grace of Jesus from a book somewhere and beleived, and then found out that thousands of people around you, even at the chess forum, knew all about it for years and never told you, never tried to convince you that such good news was available! I would be pissed!


    At least from what I remember, the stories of Christ was that he was amongst the most down-trodden people, helping others and spreading his word. What do all of you do? You spend your day occasionally play online chess and criticizing others who don't follow your beliefs. For those that do (and please this does not apply to all of the Christians who post here and for that matter, all Christians) I call you cowards.

    Sell your computer, become a missionary, and do something for the world to spread your message. What's that? Oh yeah, that would be the work of a "real Christian".


    What can I say to that? I think you are right. God help me.

  12. England
    Joined
    15 Nov '03
    Moves
    33497
    16 Aug '05 14:15
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Do you teach sex education as part of your work?
    just what do you wish to learn?? But if i sold this computer the person who owns it may not think very christian of me?? there is many ways to do christian work, just be a practice what you preach within your own life others are drawn to teach others to service, but all have or should have there own salvation as there goal.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Joined
    14 Jul '05
    Moves
    4464
    16 Aug '05 14:571 edit
    Originally posted by Joe Fist
    I also commend you and the work that you do. I think you are probably one of the only people here that "walk the walk", if you know what I mean. I also think it is great that you share you belief in Christ with others. But don't you ...[text shortened]... d the nature of Christianity expressed here does not allow for it.
    As stated above, for me personally it is my faith that is my motivation. Although I don't deny that selfless humanitarian work is possible for a non-christian: Albert Schweizer comes to mind, I do find it contrary to the selfish human nature. Don't get me wrong here, we all have a free will and are free to do what we like, I just feel mankind is inclined towards selfishness.
  14. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    16 Aug '05 15:11
    Originally posted by stoker
    just what do you wish to learn?? But if i sold this computer the person who owns it may not think very christian of me?? there is many ways to do christian work, just be a practice what you preach within your own life others are drawn to teach others to service, but all have or should have there own salvation as there goal.
    Once more in English please.
  15. Standard memberJoe Fist
    Troubador
    Land of Fist
    Joined
    28 Sep '04
    Moves
    19184
    16 Aug '05 15:41
    Originally posted by Halitose
    As stated above, for me personally it is my faith that is my motivation. Although I don't deny that selfless humanitarian work is possible for a non-christian: Albert Schweizer comes to mind, I do find it contrary to the selfish human nature. Don't get me wrong here, we all have a free will and are free to do what we like, I just feel mankind is inclined towards selfishness.
    I agree that mankind leans towards selfishness and I would consider myself a prime example. I can also see the selfless nature of charity being linked to "God".

    My issue has always been which "God" and never so much the question of God's existence although I consider that as well. Each of our lives is its own journey and we all make choices about what to believe or not believe in.

    The idea of a "God" relies so heavily on faith and it angers me that some reject others. Your belief doesn't carry anymore weight than mine and yet advocates of your faith seem determined to squash what I believe. I just don't get it and I don't get why it is so important to some Christians to recruit others? Some will say to "save my soul" and that's a lovely notion but in all honesty, who is to say you are not completely wrong in what you believe? Personally, I think you are but I normally would not tell you that nor would I try to convince you to believe what I believe because I know one thing in all of this: I don't know either.
Back to Top