1. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:571 edit
    Originally posted by BrianW68
    Atheists,Why don't you give it a try,..
    For the same reason that you don't try praying to Odin. Its stupid (and insincere) to pray to someone you don't believe exists just to 'give it a try'.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 19:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    For the same reason that you don't try praying to Odin. Its stupid (and insincere) to pray to someone you don't believe exists just to 'give it a try'.
    I've given it a chance. He didn't listen. Or he wasn't there. Anywhere.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 02:49
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    It's just down to who you are. We are each of us the product of our genes and our upbringing - for you, that equals wholehearted belief in christianity, for me, not so much. I guess some people will be borderline, and I expect for these lucky folk there may be an element of choice.
    I was not brought up a Christian, my family wasn't a Christian family, I got saved
    when I was 25 and my life before that wasn't what I'd call Chistian so I do
    disagree with you here.
    Kelly
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 05:38
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I was not brought up a Christian, my family wasn't a Christian family, I got saved
    when I was 25 and my life before that wasn't what I'd call Chistian so I do
    disagree with you here.
    Kelly
    So do you believe that at 17, you knew God existed but were denying it?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 07:26
    So do you believe that at 17, you knew God existed but were denying it?
    At 17 no one I knew talked about God had anything to do with God, I was more
    into UriahHeep, Supertramp, Eagles, partying, girls, sports, partying, and girls.
    Kelly
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Aug '10 09:08
    At 17 no one I knew talked about God had anything to do with God, I was more
    into UriahHeep, Supertramp, Eagles, partying, girls, sports, partying, and girls.
    Kelly
    So you were a true atheist?
    So it is only those who know someone who talks about God who is denying the evidence?
    Does this mean that the evidence you talked about earlier is specifically what those who talk about God say?
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 07:14
    So you were a true atheist?
    So it is only those who know someone who talks about God who is denying the evidence?
    Does this mean that the evidence you talked about earlier is specifically what those who talk about God say?
    If He is real, if He is calling all of us to Him and we refuse to come we are denying
    God. The universe is His handy work, so evidence for God would everywhere, not
    seeing it would be harder were it not for our ablity to decieve ourselves. Again
    going back to those that find God, it is only those really looking for Him, not those
    that are not looking with pure hearts.
    Kelly
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 05:261 edit
    If He is real, if He is calling all of us to Him and we refuse to come we are denying
    God. The universe is His handy work, so evidence for God would everywhere, not
    seeing it would be harder were it not for our ablity to decieve ourselves. Again
    going back to those that find God, it is only those really looking for Him, not those
    that are not looking with pure hearts.
    Kelly
    If He is real, perhaps He should give us better evidence to go on. I mean, isn't it supposedly His will that His creatures enter into loving relationships with Him? It seems a precondition for that would be that these creatures have sufficient reason to think He exists in the first place.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 06:051 edit
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    If He is real, perhaps He should give us better evidence to go on. I mean, isn't it supposedly His will that His creatures enter into loving relationships with Him? It seems a precondition for that would be that these creatures have sufficient reason to think He exists in the first place.
    And if the evidence is already in fact sufficient already than what? As I pointed out
    earlier we all see the same thing, and yet some reject, some accept. So for some
    it is enough for others it isn't. When one is showed X amount and another is
    shown less and they accept does this not judge the one who rejects the greater
    amount as someone who should have known better? When one has a great deal
    against them believing yet they do accept, when one has no reasons to reject and
    yet does, what does that mean?
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 07:382 edits
    And if the evidence is already in fact sufficient already than what? As I pointed out
    earlier we all see the same thing, and yet some reject, some accept. So for some
    it is enough for others it isn't. When one is showed X amount and another is
    shown less and they accept does this not judge the one who rejects the greater
    amount as someone who should hav ...[text shortened]... et they do accept, when one has no reasons to reject and
    yet does, what does that mean?
    Kelly
    Well, obviously it is NOT the case that the evidence is already in fact sufficient to elicit belief in God's existence from me and many others -- because we do not believe God exists. But it is certainly possible that there already exists good, or even very good, evidence in the world for God's existence and yet I am not properly responsive to it; or ignorant of it; or I otherwise am disposed toward misreading it; or etc. But, even if that were the case, I would draw your attention to a couple points. Many active atheists, like myself, have come to our position through intellectually responsible avenues and through much honest study and reflection on the topic. And, further, this is for me a matter of theoretical deliberation and not really something that involves active acceptance/rejection out of volition. So, even if there is plenty of actual evidence for God in this world to justify belief in His existence, it would be hard, I think, for you to argue that my lack of such belief is a moral failing on my part; or that I am culpable for it; or that I have not done my best with the evidence as it has presented to me. Perhaps in that case it would be a matter of my evidential readings being plagued by things largely beyond my active control.

God could have simply made it such that we have strong evidence for his existence AND such that we are properly responsive to this evidence. Thus, we would come, with few or no exceptions, to belief in His existence; and, even better still, this belief would be justified and properly proportioned to the actual evidence. We would then just be good cognizers regarding this particular inquiry. Perhaps then, armed with the dispassionate knowledge that He exists, I could be in a position to choose to relate with Him or not, which is where volition could enter.

As it stands, though, it doesn't make much sense that God, an omni-whatnot being, wills that His creatures come to love Him and yet cannot (or does not) seem to reliably provide for a precondition for this that is really largely beyond such creatures' active control -- this precondition being that they come to believe He exists in the first place. It is particularly strange given that God is also supposed to be very compassionate and He knows that so much rides on my standing in a certain relation to Him -- for instance, that I will suffer for all eternity if I don't stand in the right relation with Him. You'd think God would provide for sufficient reason for me to at least believe He exists if my not relating with God means I would suffer the worst fate conceivable! And I am not merely talking here about good evidence being in the world but to which I may or may not be properly responsive; I am talking about evidence that God knows is actually sufficient to elicit the belief from me. Exactly how else does God expect me to come to belief in Him? Does He think I just choose my beliefs like ice cream flavors, or that I will believe stuff on insufficient reason or on what I honestly take to be poor evidence?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 08:121 edit
    Well, obviously it is NOT the case that the evidence is already in fact sufficient to elicit belief in God's existence from me and many others -- because we do not believe God exists. But it is certainly possible that there already exists good, or even very good, evidence in the world for God's existence and yet I am not properly responsive to it; or ign will believe stuff on insufficient reason or on what I honestly take to be poor evidence?
    I disagree, since God has in my opinion shown himself to the world and quite a few
    have indeed come to Hiim. You not accepting God does not mean that the evidence
    is not "enough" since for others it has been. Your likes and dislikes are not part of
    the process as mine are not, you either go to God on God's terms or you do not. The
    theorectial deliberation can be a huge undertaking, but since God says those that
    seek Him will find Him, I'd say your putting your efforts into something that will
    never produce fruit. This isn't a debate, a science project, it is a relationship with
    the Lord God of Heaven and Earth, it will be done as God lays it out, not as we
    would like it to be.
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 08:17
    Well, obviously it is NOT the case that the evidence is already in fact sufficient to elicit belief in God's existence from me and many others -- because we do not believe God exists. But it is certainly possible that there already exists good, or even very good, evidence in the world for God's existence and yet I am not properly responsive to it; or ign ...[text shortened]... will believe stuff on insufficient reason or on what I honestly take to be poor evidence?
    "As it stands, though, it doesn't make much sense that God, an omni-whatnot being, wills that His creatures come to love Him and yet cannot (or does not) seem to reliably provide for a precondition for this that is really largely beyond such creatures' active control -- this precondition being that they come to believe He exists in the first place."

God has shown His love towards us first, what we produce in the area of love is
    very basic, it takes God to really show us what love really is. We get a glimps of
    it from time to time with each other, but for the most part God has a lot to teach
    us on that topic.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 09:15
    "As it stands, though, it doesn't make much sense that God, an omni-whatnot being, wills that His creatures come to love Him and yet cannot (or does not) seem to reliably provide for a precondition for this that is really largely beyond such creatures' active control -- this precondition being that they come to believe He exists in the first place."

God ...[text shortened]... time with each other, but for the most part God has a lot to teach
    us on that topic.
    Kelly
    You can see though how your stance is systematically immune from criticism?
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 16:161 edit
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    You can see though how your stance is systematically immune from criticism?
    Why is that, because God is the source our knowledge, our truth, and if it were not
    for God we would simply act out at the most basic level of human lust and greed?

If you don't mind me dragging evolution into this, love flies in the face of that
    belief/theory? Since the struggle for survival and survival of the fittest does not
    go along with laying down one's life for another. When love is involved one actually
    has to put another before themselves which does not compute when it comes to a
    struggle for survival neither will the stronger or fastest survive if they were to
    always put the slower and weaker before their needs or even wants.

When God’s Spirit is leading and guiding us we will live caring for others even our
    enemies; which is not the driving force people have today with those they are
    in conflict with. Look at how we view our enemies in our entertainment industry
    today, the normal is someone gets wronged, and it is it forgiveness or some type
    of righteous anger that gets portrayed and cheered on for that matter?
    Kelly
  15. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 18:46
    Why is that, because God is the source our knowledge, our truth, and if it were not
    for God we would simply act out at the most basic level of human lust and greed?

If you don't mind me dragging evolution into this, love flies in the face of that
    belief/theory? Since the struggle for survival and survival of the fittest does not
    go along with laying d ...[text shortened]... ss or some type
    of righteous anger that gets portrayed and cheered on for that matter?
    Kelly
    Kelly, do you really believe this? Do you have children? Suppose that you found out tomorrow that there is no God. Just hypothetically, suppose that you were utterly convinced that there is no God. Would you still love your children? Would your actions towards them all of a sudden be motivated by "lust and greed"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree